Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So have been looking around at several Tutorials and many people are linking to the SysUpdater.Zip so have downloaded a few including sysUpdater_0_4_2 from github but every one of these tutorials are inconsistent in exactly how the files need to be arranged on the MicroSD So if someone can give me clarification of all specific files needed and in what order so far I have

ROOT
-3ds
--SysUpdator
sysUpdater.3dsx
sysUpdater.smdh

What are the exact files that go in that directory, and where do the following go:
LICENSE
README.md
sysUpdater.cia
sysUpdater_debug.elf

ROOT or inside the 3ds folder?

I have a New 3DS XL FW 9.9 that I want to Downgrade wouldn't mind using the SafesysUpdater instead in which I assume you just replace the originals with, anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use this instead to downgrade https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/page-95#post-5923820

You only need:

ROOT
-3ds
--SysUpdator
sysUpdater.3dsx
sysUpdater.smdh

Hear me out first.

Downgrading from firmware <10.2 seems to cause many issues while downgrading from 10.3 has much better success rate.

I am not recommending, just saying people are theorizing that perhaps, it's better to update to 10.3 first then downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2. Updating seems to be safer too. Only saw 2 people reporting going this route and they reported updating and downgrading went smoothly (Those are N3DS).

Last edited by tivu100,

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are using the safesysupdater then your folder structure should look like below:

ROOT:/3ds/SafeSysUpdater/SafeSysUpdater.3dsx

It's case sensitive I think so better make sure that the folder name has the same case as the file name. And yeah, SafeSysUpdater has only 1 file inside, so you don't need to put the smdh on the folder.

Last edited by Akira,

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I assume you simply delete the 9.2 Update folder and put the 10.3 on root instead, and when loaded select Update instead of downgrade, Theres nothing more to that I might be missing is there?
thanks again!

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I assume you simply delete the 9.2 Update folder and put the 10.3 on root instead, and when loaded select Update instead of downgrade, Theres nothing more to that I might be missing is there?
thanks again!
Correct.

Just be careful not mix up the 2 "updates" folders then you should be fine.

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks again!

Hey, if you are planning to update, then dont use the SafeSysUpdater. I am just assuming here but I think you should you use the normal SysUpdater if you are planning to update.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, if you are planning to update, then dont use the SafeSysUpdater. I am just assuming here but I think you should you use the normal SysUpdater if you are planning to update.
No. Official sysupdater NOT support memchunkhax2. Use the one made by @julian20 I linked in my previous post.

Another person reported just now about jumping from 10.1 to 10.3 then downgraded successfully to 9.2 on other thread. So we have 3 cases so far and 100% success rate as of now.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/page-51#post-6010641

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Excellent Thanks Guys, So I am going to attempt to jump from 9.9 -> 10.3 then from 10.3 -> 9.2 with the following cia releases:
9.2.0-20U(Full)_n3DS
10.3.0-28U(Full)_n3DS

I'm going to look into checking their CheckSums to ensure they are the correct files, but I'm pretty sure I found them in the same place everyone else is getting them in that magical cloud that rhymes with a street fighter II characters whose name begins with "V"

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well nothing is panning out with that sysUpdater linked in the earlier post, just black screen, after several times I got it to boot but then upon pressing 'Y' I got some garbage about not finding CIA file, then upon several retrys never got it to come back up again. I have tried the SafesysUpdater and it boots everytime yet upon trying to just downgrade and take my chances it immediately freezes and I have to reboot and try again.. Something doesn't really sound right about any of this so my microSD Card looks like this

3ds->sysUpdater->SafesysUpdater.3dsx
updates->9.2 cia files
boot.3dsx

And that is all that is on there, I see some people mentioning MenuHax and have searched but cant find a tutorial that covers that exploit

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well nothing is panning out with that sysUpdater linked in the earlier post, just black screen, after several times I got it to boot but then upon pressing 'Y' I got some garbage about not finding CIA file, then upon several retrys never got it to come back up again. I have tried the SafesysUpdater and it boots everytime yet upon trying to just downgrade and take my chances it immediately freezes and I have to reboot and try again.. Something doesn't really sound right about any of this so my microSD Card looks like this

updates->9.2 cia files
boot.3dsx

And that is all that is on there, I see some people mentioning MenuHax and have searched but cant find a tutorial that covers that exploit
Thing is memchunkhax2 is pretty random. While the sysupdater in my previous post may have terrible boot rate, it's more positive to finish its job than safesupdater which have this random errors abandoning the process midway.

You use menuhax or browserhax? People tell to use menuhax but you can try mix thing up. I had better boot rate using Ironhax when it's still available.

Also there is this trick: boot into another homebrew app then exit back into HBL before running sysupdater that will increase the bootrate.

Last edited by tivu100,

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

updates->9.2 cia files
boot.3dsx

Menuhax is the "entrypoint" some users use to access HBL. Question, how do you boot safesysupdater? Which hax are you using to go to homebrew launcher?

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

Choose which hack and follow instructions
Iv'e seen that page.... That is making allot more sense now is into what they are referring to as an Entrypoint... Thanks for the help Sorry I'm a bit behind in all this as I use a Gateway Card and it does everything I need I simply intend to get the System down to 9.2 on a New3DS I bought so I can use the GW after that. I understand gateway says they will have their release soon but god only knows when that will be.

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

Choose which hack and follow instructions

If you had downloaded the "starter kit" from that site, then you can install Menuhax. Do this:

1.) Go to home menu settings if you haven't been there yet (Let it save the home menu configuration, this will only happen once)
2.) Boot HBL via browserhax
3.) Once in HBL, look for the menuhax_manager
4.) Open "menuhax_manager" then install it.

How to access menuhax:
1.) Turn off your 3DS
2.) Now, open it and immediately press "L" until it boots you to HBL. (sometimes it may freeze, just restart your 3DS and do step 2 again till HBL boots up.

Once you manage to boot HBL via menuhax, you can now launch SafeSysUpdater form there.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iv'e seen that page.... That is making allot more sense now is into what they are referring to as an Entrypoint... Thanks for the help Sorry I'm a bit behind in all this as I use a Gateway Card and it does everything I need I simply intend to get the System down to 9.2 on a New3DS I bought so I can use the GW after that. I understand gateway says they will have their release soon but god only knows when that will be.
A little advice, doing these stuff you need to stay sober, so go to bed if you need to. A little mistake can be very costly.

Just a reminder: try to update to 10.3 before downgrading since <10.2 were reported with all kind of bad news. See you later.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you had downloaded the "starter kit" from that site, then you can install Menuhax. Do this:

1.) Go to home menu settings if you haven't been there yet (Let it save the home menu configuration, this will only happen once)
2.) Boot HBL via browserhax
3.) Once in HBL, look for the menuhax_manager
4.) Open "menuhax_manager" then install it.

How to access menuhax:
1.) Turn off your 3DS
2.) Now, open it and immediately press "L" until it boots you to HBL. (sometimes it may freeze, just restart your 3DS and do step 2 again till HBL boots up.

Once you manage to boot HBL via menuhax, you can now launch SafeSysUpdater form there.
And don't forget to remove menuhax again before creating emunand or it will be annoying.

Reactions: Akira

Abstract3000

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A little advice, doing these stuff you need to stay sober, so go to bed if you need to. A little mistake can be very costly.

Just a reminder: try to update to 10.3 before downgrading since <10.2 were reported with all kind of bad news. See you later.

I'm at work right now, this time of night is when I'm most awake ;)

And don't forget to remove menuhax again before creating emunand or it will be annoying.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm currently just doing a bunch more searching as getting an error with the menuhax manager "failed to open homemenu extdata with extdataID" I'll just keep searching see if i can dig something up

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans