PS1/2 Help with Swap Magic - Backups freezing.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, my Swap Magic + Key thingy showed up today. I burn Naruto 3 to a DVD-R and am eager to play it. Use the Swap Magic, which sometimes loads up instantly, sometimes it takes a while. Use the key, open the thing, put in Naruto 3 on DVD-R, close it, it boots up.

During the game randomly it just decides to freeze. Some fights I can finish, some freeze up during a super attack, and once it froze during a normal loading screen.

I tried it with a normal PS2 game I owned to see if it was a problem with the PS2, but that played just fine with no lockups. Whatever the problem is, it's on the DVD-R/Backup's end, and I want to know what I can do to fix this? What's the best program to burn PS2 ISOs? I used Alcohol 120% for this one...

*And now it's working fine...except the split moment I starting typing that, the music stopped...what the hell goes on?
wtf.gif

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Burn speed, I have no idea.
Media: I use some Sony DVD-Rs...
PS2 Version: No idea, it's pretty old and a fat one.

It's weird, sometimes it works for a while without freezing, othertimes it freezes during a loading screen...it's weird. Can a burn speed really affect a game that much?

*I just asked my friend what the default burn speed was because we didn't change anything at his house, and it was set to freaking x16. I think we found the problem...I'm going back there to reburn it at 4x. Hopefully it'll work this time. I'll post an update later.

Da-Huntha

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lostmoment.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
try using freeware stuff like Zoneloader

First load swap magic, then the correct Zoneloader (DVD or CD version) then the game and see if it still has these problems.

It fixed my problems for GTA:LCS

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try a different type of DVD-R...I can't afford any at the moment.
sleep.gif

If it says anything, the most common time for it to freeze is during a Ougi attack, and sometimes during a loading screen.

*I have a SwapMagic 3 Version 3.6, and I'm using Sony Brand DVD-Rs, 4.7GB...

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Use DVD+/-R's with Ritek dye. (Fugi, Memorex, Dysan).

I use Swap Magic, and I've never had a game freeze. I use DVD Decrypter to burn, at 2 or 4X (1X don't seem to work well with my PS2)

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As an update, I've burned a bunch of games using these Sony DVD-Rs.

*Naruto 3 is the only one that straight out freezes in game.
*Battle Stadium D.O.N. works perfectly.
*Namco x Capcom works almost perfectly, save for the opening cutscene dying out.
*Mortal Kombat Deception is very slow in the main menu and the music/sounds are delayed.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
here's another couple of tips. prior to burning your .iso images, make sure that you've adequately de-fragged the disc prior to copy the image file onto it. also, it helps to run your disc burning software by itself.

you'll increase your odds of a disc with skipping / freezing fmv's, etc. if you're running a lot of processes while you're burning your image (especially if you have a slower computer or a small amount of ram).

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, here's a good faq on cleaning the lens, tweaking the laser, etc.. It's for PS2's that are version 3 and below.

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/390/390535p1.html

If nothing else works, it's something you might try. It's my understanding that DVD-R's are harder to read than commercial disks, so upping the laser voltage a touch (just a touch) might be a good thing. It's not very hard to do, but I'd certainly try the less time consuming things suggested first.

I also swear by Ridata discs, cheap and good they are... make a lot of coasters they don't.
wink.gif

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hmm, all my backups work fine. I burned with Alcohol 120%, but I didn't try any of the games you mentioned. I use Verbatim DVD+Rs, if it matters. As for burn speed, I actually always burn with MAX speed...

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No need to make a new topic on this. I just got Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks on a DVD-R here. It's the NTSC version apparently, as that's the only video mode that it shows up on.

Two problems. The first one is the game is off center, and the game has no setting to fix that. The main one, is that the game freezes every time you try a new game. What the hell.

*BTW, I've downloaded a ton of games since this topic was initially created and have had nearly no flaws with Mortal Kombat Deception, Namco x Capcom, Lego Star Wars, and more. This is the only game acting up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: what's up woke boy