Help with single game cart and multiple Switch consoles

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a main Switch console with 2 accounts linked to it, and I want to play a physical game cart on a Switch Lite. Do I simply insert the game cart into the Switch Lite from my main Switch? Or, do I have to create a whole new NNID or account for the Lite, and transfer that game's save data from my Switch to my Switch Lite? In short, is it necessary to have an account on my Lite? Can I just keep the accounts on my main Switch?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a main Switch console with 2 accounts linked to it, and I want to play a physical game cart on a Switch Lite. Do I simply insert the game cart into the Switch Lite from my main Switch? Or, do I have to create a whole new NNID or account for the Lite, and transfer that game's save data from my Switch to my Switch Lite? In short, is it necessary to have an account on my Lite? Can I just keep the accounts on my main Switch?
If you want the save data synced, you need to use a Nintendo Account (and a Nintendo Switch Online subscription)
If not, it doesn't matter.

Nintendo (stupidly) chose not to store save data on the cartridge. Well okay, arguably this can be a good thing in some cases, since you had certain games on the 3DS where save data could not be deleted (Resident Evil Revelations IIRC, maybe others) so you would not be able to start a new save, or start fresh on a used copy. But apart from those very few cases, it's a hindrance. Not all games allow cloud syncing so for example for the few people that have a Switch Lite for on the go use along with a regular Switch for at home use, or have a Switch console for each TV in the house, not all of their save data can be transferred between them. If save data was still stored on the carts that would be largely a non issue. But, I digress.

NNID aren't used on the Switch, they're for WIi U/3DS.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want the save data synced, you need to use a Nintendo Account (and a Nintendo Switch Online subscription)
If not, it doesn't matter.

Nintendo (stupidly) chose not to store save data on the cartridge. Well okay, arguably this can be a good thing in some cases, since you had certain games on the 3DS where save data could not be deleted (Resident Evil Revelations IIRC, maybe others) so you would not be able to start a new save, or start fresh on a used copy. But apart from those very few cases, it's a hindrance. Not all games allow cloud syncing so for example for the few people that have a Switch Lite for on the go use along with a regular Switch for at home use, or have a Switch console for each TV in the house, not all of their save data can be transferred between them. If save data was still stored on the carts that would be largely a non issue. But, I digress.

NNID aren't used on the Switch, they're for WIi U/3DS.

I do miss the old days of just putting a game into the console and picking right back up from where you left off.
What if I don't use the cloud? Is that my only option?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do miss the old days of just putting a game into the console and picking right back up from where you left off.
What if I don't use the cloud? Is that my only option?

If you transfer save file from one switch to another switch legally it has to be under the same account. Can't be transferring account A save to account B without cfw.

If you transfer save over from one switch to another without doing the user transfer you lose the hours on your playing statistics for that game.

Keep in mind some games doesn't allow cloud save like pokemon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto