Hacking Help with restoring old wii

cbacca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I got our Wii out for the kids summer holidays nad it worked great for a few days but now I fear it has been bricked after my daughter was messing aound playing Lego star wars.

Upon powering up it loads to the BootMii menu but selecting either the Wii menu or Homebrew channel just goes to a black screen.
I can't find the SD card I had a NAND backup on, so I can't restore it from BootMii.

Any suggestions of what to do next greatly appreciated as I am lost as to know what to do! Many Thanks.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Save the hackmii installer's bootmini file to your sd card, then launch bootmii, and from the main menu select the 3rd option that looks like an SD card, then browse and select bootmini off the SD that you saved there previously. This should load the hackmii installer. From here you should reinstall the homebrew channel, as well as "prepare an SD card" (this will update the version of bootmii on your sd card, so that it will know to boot the latest version of the HBC that you just installed/updated).

After exiting the hackmii installer I think it should launch the hbc, but in any case, after you restart into bootmii you should be able to access the hbc now that both bootmii and hbc are updated to the latest versions.

Once your in the hbc, I suggest you post a Syscheck so we can fix your other issue of not being able to boot into the system menu. You will probably need to reinstall a system menu and it's corresponding system menu ios via a wad manager, but we'll get to that after you share your syscheck.

Oh, on a related note, you don't happen to have a nand backup from before this issue began, do you? If so, you could just restore it from bootmii and avoid the hassle from all the above steps.

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the sd cards also get corrupted,you can also run error test on a pc/mac , also make sure the lock is not enabled on it
and I suggest to use c.r.a.p to make game wad channels this way its easier for the young ones

good luck :grog:

Last edited by Teletron1,
Reactions: MeAndHax

cbacca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Many thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Trying to lauch Bootmini from the hackmii installer still led to black screen. Following other things I read on the internet, I renamed it as ppcboot and put it into the BootMii folderon the SD card. - This got me to a green and static screen instead, so some progress!

From a different guide I managed to create new Nand.bin using NAND Formatter, as the regular NAND backup in BootMii wouldn't work.
I edited the new NAND backup using Ohneswanzenegger, and restored the edited Nand back onto the Wii using BootMii.

This restored it to factory fresh and it booted up first time and went into the system menu asking me to input date time etc. All seemed to be good for 5 minutes or so, when the console froze.

After half an hour or so, I switched it off and now I am back to the blackscreens. :cry:

I am guessing that there must be some hardware issue causing such instability and there is no hope for me now...

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You ever installed a emu nand ? It could have rewritten files there and the system reset because it might have been missing something. Which brought you back to square 1, but what were you doing after you got done entering date?

Well worst comes to worst you could do this
Mod chip to reflash nand

Last edited by Teletron1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a +1