Help with restoring old wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cbacca, Aug 2, 2019.

1. cbacca
    OP

cbacca Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2019
    Bulgaria
    I got our Wii out for the kids summer holidays nad it worked great for a few days but now I fear it has been bricked after my daughter was messing aound playing Lego star wars.

Upon powering up it loads to the BootMii menu but selecting either the Wii menu or Homebrew channel just goes to a black screen.
    I can't find the SD card I had a NAND backup on, so I can't restore it from BootMii.

Any suggestions of what to do next greatly appreciated as I am lost as to know what to do! Many Thanks.

2. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Save the hackmii installer's bootmini file to your sd card, then launch bootmii, and from the main menu select the 3rd option that looks like an SD card, then browse and select bootmini off the SD that you saved there previously. This should load the hackmii installer. From here you should reinstall the homebrew channel, as well as "prepare an SD card" (this will update the version of bootmii on your sd card, so that it will know to boot the latest version of the HBC that you just installed/updated).

After exiting the hackmii installer I think it should launch the hbc, but in any case, after you restart into bootmii you should be able to access the hbc now that both bootmii and hbc are updated to the latest versions.

Once your in the hbc, I suggest you post a Syscheck so we can fix your other issue of not being able to boot into the system menu. You will probably need to reinstall a system menu and it's corresponding system menu ios via a wad manager, but we'll get to that after you share your syscheck.

Oh, on a related note, you don't happen to have a nand backup from before this issue began, do you? If so, you could just restore it from bootmii and avoid the hassle from all the above steps.

alexander1970 and MeAndHax like this.
  3. Teletron1

Teletron1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    the sd cards also get corrupted,you can also run error test on a pc/mac , also make sure the lock is not enabled on it
    and I suggest to use c.r.a.p to make game wad channels this way its easier for the young ones

good luck :grog:

Last edited by Teletron1, Aug 3, 2019
    MeAndHax likes this.
  4. cbacca
    OP

cbacca Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2019
    Bulgaria
    Many thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Trying to lauch Bootmini from the hackmii installer still led to black screen. Following other things I read on the internet, I renamed it as ppcboot and put it into the BootMii folderon the SD card. - This got me to a green and static screen instead, so some progress!

From a different guide I managed to create new Nand.bin using NAND Formatter, as the regular NAND backup in BootMii wouldn't work.
    I edited the new NAND backup using Ohneswanzenegger, and restored the edited Nand back onto the Wii using BootMii.

This restored it to factory fresh and it booted up first time and went into the system menu asking me to input date time etc. All seemed to be good for 5 minutes or so, when the console froze.

After half an hour or so, I switched it off and now I am back to the blackscreens. :cry:

I am guessing that there must be some hardware issue causing such instability and there is no hope for me now...

5. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    I agree with your assessment. Your progress was quite impressive, sorry it abruptly ended the way it did.

6. Teletron1

Teletron1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    You ever installed a emu nand ? It could have rewritten files there and the system reset because it might have been missing something. Which brought you back to square 1, but what were you doing after you got done entering date?

Well worst comes to worst you could do this
    Mod chip to reflash nand

Last edited by Teletron1, Aug 6, 2019
  7. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    You should try setting up sneek or uneek with an emulated Nand. You should be able to boot right into it upon launch instead of bootmii.

Of course if u truly have hardware problems then this might not take you very far.