Help with PSX emulation?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Blaze163, Aug 23, 2011.

Aug 23, 2011

Help with PSX emulation? by Blaze163 at 2:09 PM (621 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho!

I've finally acquired some blank CDs and as such am looking into playing PS1 games on my softmodded PS2 Slim. I've installed the FreeMcBoot program to my memory card (god bless that program, it brings me so much joy) and PS2 games are a cinch, but PS1 is proving difficult. I put the PSXlauncher ELF in the BOOT folder, set the shortcut key to R1, hold R1 during powerup with a PS1 disk inserted, and it says 'failed to launch' something or other. So I go to the boot folder and launch it manually, and it seems to work fine, black screen with a list of instructions. I then wait for my PS1 disk to stop spinning and swap it over for the game I just burned. Silent Bomber, burned to a blank disk, I used the .BIN file 'cause that's what unpacking it gave me, and it says 'not a PSX disk'.

Help please.

Also, my system is a PAL 7000 series slim if that helps. The ELF file says it's for series 9 and above, do I need a different version or something?

One final question. As I understand it, the PSX backups have to be the same region as the original PSX disk. Is this true, and if so, is there a way of using my setup to play PSX games from other regions? FreeMcBoot seems to have no issues playing foreign PS2 games, so the regional lockouts can obviously be circumvented. If so, how do I play games from the US on my PAL system? Is there maybe a format converter or something?

Cheers for your time, guys.

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I suggest you use Swapmagic or Cogswap, you can just download them, no need to buy anything. Also, about regions, I'm not sure. I downloaded a translated Tales of Phantasia, but they could have changed the region. However, I tried DBZ Legends in Japanese and it worked, but another game (which I think was PAL) didn't.

3. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Use uLaunchELF. Let your browser identify the ps1 disc, start uLaunchELF, set it to stop the motor, SWAP(i hope you know what this means) the discs and select launch the disc. Works for me on my fat ps2 V9. If it stops at the psx logo, your ps2 is not compatible with any ps1 swap trick.