Hacking help with my r4s

pj1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have two ds lites. and two r4s one new and one old. my goal is to be able to play pokemon black and white and trade and link battle with a friend. ill keep one r4 and give him the other.

the old one is an r4 sdhc from 5 years ago or so. it is grey with a green chip inside and says r4 with the sdhc logo next to it. no version, no website. it has a 4gb kingston sdhc card. it has the officail kernel version 1.25. it has games from 5 years ago that it runs just fine like contra and mario kart. i havent tried pokemon white on it but i have read that it wont work without modern kernels such as wood.

the new one is r4i rts 3ds with the r4ids.cn website on it and no version on it. its gold with a red chip inside. it has an 8gb kinston sdhc card in it. i got it from modchipfactory.

i have tried many kernels on it. started with the wood kernel from the newest wood kernel from r4wood.com. booted that kernel i got dual black screens and nothing else. i tried finding the kernel on modchipfactory website but thier links are broken. tried R4i-SDHC (English) kernel 1.68b from file trip and that booted up with dual black screens.

finally i tried the wood from http://www.r4ids.cn/r4i-download-e.htm, which i probably should have tried earlier, Wood_R4iGold_V1.64.rar. i booted it up and it doesnt auto load even though i have the ds set to, however the touch screen to continue appears and i do and wood loads. so now i added a folder called games to the root of the sdhc card and put a clean pokemon white rom that i found on the first google search result, called pokemon white.nds. i navigated to it in the wood on my ds and clicked it. it started and there was sound which seemed to respond to my button clicks, however there was two black screens and no image ever came.

i am really confused and struggling. it seems that there are 1010101010010101010million r4s and exponentially more kernels. i dont know whether to try patching the rom or try different kernels and hope they work with this r4. ideally i would like to play pokemon white and black and white and black 2 later and then all the other ds games and also use emulators like lameboy ds and what not. and i would like to have both r4s set up very similarly or identically if possible. all the guides for these things seem very outdated and the modern ones pertain to 3ds but i have dslite.

can ayone help me?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try it with another rom, one an older one with no AP.

It might just be that this one rom has AP and does not work.

pj1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried it with new mario bros. once again got this rom from top google result. i was under the impression that these roms are clean. this one in wood shows up with a question mark icon next to it and wont play. ill keep trying roms i guess but it seems there is something wrong.

pj1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried the new r4i rts 3ds with the Wood_R4iGold_V1.64 kernel and a known working rom from my older r4. it works!

my next question is what wood kernel do i use to update my older r4 that i described in the first post?

also are all the wood kernels the same in their ability to play roms and work around ap or will the one for the r4i rts 3ds be different than the one developed for the basic r4?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess not...