PettingZoo

yesss
OP
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
So for starting my new school I was required to get one of the new macbook through the school. So when I started there and got my mac and went through some instructions about using a mac. Anyway I was planning to run parallels or wine on it when one of the instructors said not to run parallels because it will screw up something (I forgot what xD). So now I'm wondering if I can run wine on my mac and it won't do anything weird as the guy said stuff would with parallels. So in a nutshell will wine make my mac go nuts? is it safe? do you think I would get in trouble?

Also what are some fun things to do on my mac anyway?

PettingZoo

yesss
OP
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
rhyguy said:
There shouldnt be anything wrong with paralells, but boot camp is a much better option
Yeah nothing should be wrong with parallels but the dude just said I shouldn't run it. Also I can't find a copy of XP anywhere
frown.gif

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
Parallels works pretty fine and you can't screw up anything (it's a virtual partition after all).
wink.gif

If you don't like it you can use BootCamp (it creates a real partition and let you choose which one to start, MacOS or Windows).

I have both on my Macbook: a real partition with BootCamp that i load also with Parallels if I don't want to shut down MacOs.
smile.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PettingZoo said:
Ok, so WINE is fine to run and won't screw over my computer what so ever?

no software can screw over your computer, ever. the worst it can do is screw up the software and require a reinstall.

well, unless apple have installed a self destruct in all new macs if it detects a non apple product
tongue.gif

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've run WINE on my Intel fine, although its a hit and miss with software, I dont understand why you dont just use Parallels, I've run it on a few macs and no issues at all, Maybe your teacher doesnt know what he's talking about?

I'd go with Bootcamp, or Parallels, only because I noticed there were a few .exe's WINE couldnt run, but they ran on my real partion, or the virtual one.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
PettingZoo said:
So for starting my new school I was required to get one of the new macbook through the school. So when I started there and got my mac and went through some instructions about using a mac. Anyway I was planning to run parallels or wine on it when one of the instructors said not to run parallels because it will screw up something (I forgot what xD). So now I'm wondering if I can run wine on my mac and it won't do anything weird as the guy said stuff would with parallels. So in a nutshell will wine make my mac go nuts? is it safe? do you think I would get in trouble?

Also what are some fun things to do on my mac anyway?
Your teacher probably didn't want you to risk messing something up, just install it anyway. The worst that could happen would be that it wouldn't work.

PettingZoo

yesss
OP
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Sorry about going overboard about safeness, it's because I tend to screw things up xD. Also the dude said not to run parallels because it does something wack to the synching with the school network. Other than wine I'm getting some games that were also released on mac (Fallout 1).

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
PettingZoo said:
Sorry about going overboard about safeness, it's because I tend to screw things up xD. Also the dude said not to run parallels because it does something wack to the synching with the school network. Other than wine I'm getting some games that were also released on mac (Fallout 1).

Use Parallels instead of Wine, works way better. Or you can use Crossover Mac that it's a better version of Wine (there is even Crossover Games Mac for games).
wink.gif

And just a point: you can't screw up anything. With Parallels the most you can screw up is the virtual partition, but just delete it and you are fine, it's just a file for you Mac.
smile.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PettingZoo said:

it seems obvious to me the person that told you this was just a mac fanboy not wanting you to get windows virii onto the school network

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No Parallels? Use VMWare then
tongue.gif

Boot Camp is also an option.

I'd use Wine as a last resort because a lot of apps I tried did not work with it, and I'd much rather use the OS itself and have an easier access to everything than use Wine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s