Help with identifying R4 clone

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Itchytude, Apr 21, 2010.

Apr 21, 2010
  1. Itchytude
    OP

Newcomer Itchytude Newbie

Poland
    So, I just got my ol' NDS fixed yesterday, so now the only thing i need is new firmware for my crappy r4 knockoff. Problem is, I can't get anything to work, other then some old 2007 one, and Wood 1.05 for clones, but since it doesn't save, i really need to find an alternative. Anyways, here are the photos (sorry for the quality, my cellphone is quite possibly just as shitty as my flashcart xP).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please disregard the white stuff on the front, it's just glue from the sticker. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    With no label, it could be any of 100 clones

3. Itchytude
    OP

Poland
    Oh, okay. I thought it would be easier without the label, so i ripped it off. xP Here is the flashcart with the label.

[​IMG]

Again, sorry for the quality.

4. flamingo24

Member flamingo24 GBAtemp Regular

5. Itchytude
    OP

Poland
    Sure does look like it, but it isn't. It freezes at the "Loading..." screen with r4sdhc.com's 1.34 english kernel. Any other ideas? Dunno if it's of any use, but here's the file structure from the old firmware that works for me:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

6. flamingo24

I noticed the _AX_MENU.DAT file, this is a N5 file name.

7. impizkit

Member impizkit Lazy Lurker

Australia
    I know that there are alot of R4's that are truly DSTT clones. I suggest chucking it and buying one from Shoptemp that is confirmed to work for with Wood Firmware $6.00.

8. Itchytude
    OP

Poland
    Just checked if it didn't get in my folder by accident, but it gets stuck at the "Loading..." screen without the _ax_menu.dat file. Even the introduction.doc i downloaded along with the kernel notes it:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Okay, I'm totally lost now. Any idea what I've bought? xP

impizkit - I know i should just buy another one (possibly an acekard or cyclods, though I don't think you can buy the latter anywhere in my country), but I'd really like to get this one working, because buying a new one obviously means both spending money and waiting for it to arrive. And I just can't wait to finally play my old gray ginormous NDS again. xP

9. flamingo24

Have you tried the 1.31 N5 kernel? Since the _AX_MENU.DAT is a listed file for the kernel that seems to work. Maybe its a clone of a clone.

10. Itchytude
    OP

Poland
    Yes, this is it! Thank you so much flamingo. I owe you a beer if you ever come to Poland. xP Wonder if it can get around the AP in the latest titles. Only one way to check. xP Thanks a bunch once more!

11. flamingo24

12. Itchytude
    OP

Poland
    I'm still having trouble running some games though, especially newer ones. Any idea if there's any custom firmware i could try?

13. flamingo24

YSMenu should work. Download R4YSAUTO and get the YSmenu0903270000.zip from here, search for = 2009/03/27 00:00?EZ3in1+ NOR and "build it as a automatically starting NDS file" option 2. After created unzip to the root, along with the N5 firmware. It should just launch YSMenu when you boot the DS. This should fix most of the AP problems.

14. Itchytude
    OP

Poland
    Dude, I think I love you.

15. squishynidas

Newcomer squishynidas Member

United States
    Have you tried the firmware from this website? Download the firmware from the blue boxed one.

http://www.r4isdhc.com/