Help with Download Speed.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by RunningHamster, May 29, 2016.

1. RunningHamster
    OP

RunningHamster Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    next to ur window
    This definitely isn't in the right section.

Hi! I wanted to ask about my PC's download speed. I've got an Xbox One that downloads at 7mbit/s and that's around the speed I pay for ( horrible speed I know ). The thing is that when I download things on my computer, it max only downloads at 700kbit/s which is SLOWWWWWW.

Why is this like this? xD

2. NutymcNuty

NutymcNuty GBATemp's Autismo

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    it might be your network card and usually how old it is, it has lower specs, something like that

3. RunningHamster
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    next to ur window
    How do I check what network card the computer has?

4. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    That's a rather big difference... 7 Mbps is already slow enough as it is, but .7 Mbps? *shudder* Where are you getting these numbers from? Have you tested it with something like http://www.speedtest.net/

5. RunningHamster
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    next to ur window
    Yes I have. On Speedtest.net I get 5-6 mbit/s and when I download something on the PC, it downloads at 500-800kbit/s.
    EDIT:
    I've checked my network card, it's pretty good, 300mbit/s speed capability, so wut?

6. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    When doing the Speedtest.net test, you ARE downloading something, so it's clearly not a problem with your whole computer. Where (with what programs) are you only getting 500-800 kbps? Also... just to make sure... you're not downloading at 500-800 kiloBYTEs per second and confusing it with kilobits per second, right? The numbers match up if you are.

7. RunningHamster
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    next to ur window
    Honestly, I think it's kilobits but I'm not 100% sure. It says KB/s sooooo...........
    I used Google Chrome, it gives me even SLOWER speeds, so I used Free Download Manager and Mozilla Firefox to download.

8. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Yeah... KB/s means KiloBYTES per second. Kb/s means KiloBITS. 1 byte is equal to 8 bits, so divide 7 MegaBITS per second by your download speed and your 500-800 KiloBYTES per second matches up.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. RunningHamster
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    next to ur window
    So at my school, I did a speed test and it got 42 Mbit/s and when I downloaded something, it downloaded at 1 mbit/s to 4 mbit/s, does that match up too?

10. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    The M doesn't become capitalized when going from bits to bytes, the B does. But no, assuming you mean 42 Megabits/s and 1-4 Megabytes/s you are downloading a bit more slowly than your max (42/8=5.25). It could be the school's network limiting sustained transfers at high speeds, or it could be your program's limits, or it could be the website's limits. For example, Google Fiber allows for 1,000 Megabits per second, but that doesn't mean you're going to be able to download everything at that speed.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  11. RunningHamster
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    next to ur window
    Ah ok thanks

12. XtremeHacker

XtremeHacker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2015
    Canada
    Well then you'd faint if I told you I get 3 Megabytes D/l speed max, but generally 1-2.
    P.S. I'm not joking.

13. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Cute. But this helps the OP... How exactly?

14. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Many things come into play that determine download speed. How you're connecting to your router (wireless b/g/n connections are guaranteed to be slower than a/n connections or direct LAN connections), where the file you're downloading is located in the world (a file in your country will download faster than one across seas, hence the speed test showing a better approximation), how much traffic is already on your network, and Microsoft's infamous TCP/IP bottleneck if you're running Windows.

XtremeHacker likes this.
  15. XtremeHacker

XtremeHacker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2015
    Canada
    One thing I can think of, do you have a VPN setup on your computer? those can really slow down your speed.

16. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Depends. If it's an onshore host, shouldn't affect it too much provided it's not free. Free ones will always throttle your speed.

17. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Mb : Megabit
    MB: Megabyte
    Kb: Kilobit
    KB: Kilobyte

Do some conversions. Speedtest measures in Mb, while chrome://downloads measures them in MB/KB. File sizes are also measured in MB/KB.