Hacking Help w/DSTT

docedog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a DSTT and loaded 1.08 in the root dir of a 1 Gig and a 2 Gig micro SD. All I get are vertical lines on both screens. Do I need to have the files in a directory? I also tried 1.07 with the same results.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Insert the DSTT into your DS without a microSD card in it. If you don't get a little icon that says "No card" then you may have a bad DSTT.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Then it's probably not your DSTT (that's good news).

Now, reformat your microSD card in FAT16. Then put the 1.08 firmware on it (TTMENU.DAT and the TTMENU folder with its contents). Create a folder named "games" and put one .nds game in it. Then make sure you use the "safely remove hardware" option in Windows, remove your microSD, and place it in the DSTT (which should already been in your DS). Turn on your DS. You should get a menu with your game in it.

-Bri

docedog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a mess. I reformated and loaded into /TTMENU dir except for TTMENU.dat which I put into the root. When you download the 1.08 there is no directory structure. I now get ICONS for the games and purple strips where the descriptions should be, also non english (i think) behind that.

EN!GMA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What did you use to format your card? I know a lot of people had trouble when they used the standard windows formatter on their cards.

You should try using the Panasonic SD Formatter on your microsd, perhaps that might help.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ummm...try downloading the firmware again. You can get it here. It should be a .zip file, which when unpacked will give you a folder (TTMENU) and a file (TTMENU.DAT). Put the folder and file on the root of your microSD card.

I noticed that the .zip file that I pointed you to has the TTMENU folder and TTMENU.DAT file in a sub-folder named "eng". No NOT put the "eng" folder on your microSD card. Just drag TTMENU and TTMENU.DAT to the root of your card.

-Bri

docedog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no folders in the .zip file but I did build them myself. Still the same issue, I can see the ICONS for the games but still have the purple stripes and no descriptions. It can't be a formatting issue since the DS is able to boot up and play the games.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's wrong. There is a folder named "TTMENU" in the .zip file that I linked to in my previous post in which all of the files except "TTMENU.DAT" are located. I downloaded it myself to make sure. You're not unzipping the .zip file correctly.

That said, you failed to mention previously that the games actually load. In that case, it seems like the skin is messed up.

The "TTMENU" folder actually contains a sub-folder named "skin" which itself contains another sub-folder named "default" in which the actual skin files (.bmp files and "skin.ini" file) are located. The "TTMENU" folder contains all the other files (and the "skin" folder) except for TTMENU.DAT which goes in the root with the "TTMENU" folder.

It sounds as though whatever you used to unzip the archive didn't retain any of the folders, which is probably why the skin isn't working. If you arrange them as I have described, I bet it'll work.

What program are you using to unzip the .zip file containing the firmware?

ETA: It's also possible that your .zip file is corrupt. Try downloading it again.

-Bri

dsoonshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yaynds.gif

I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION, ITS SOOOO STUPID ITS FUNNY.... WELL AFTER 2 HOURS OF TINKERING ITS NOW FUNNY ........SOLUTION IS WHEN YOU'RE UNZIPPING THE ZIP FILES FOR THESE CARDS AT LEAST FOR DSTT YOU NEED TO SELECT A PLACE TO EXTRACT THE FILES TO , FOR INSTANCE USING WINZIP I RIGHT CLICKED THE ZIP FILE AND SELECTED EXTRACT TO HERE (DESKTOP) AND IT MADE THE TTMENU FOLDER AND WHAT NOT CORRECTLY.

NOW WHEN YOU LOAD THE FILES TO THE ROOT OF YOUR MICRO SD CARD IT SHOULD WORK CORRECTLY TOO.

IF YOU UNZIP IT THE LAZY WAY BY DOUBLE CLICKING THE ZIP FILE AND YOU END UP WITH ALL THE FILES AND NO FOLDER STRUCTURE!!!!!!!!!!

STUPID, YES, AND WHY NOBODY TOOK THE TIME TO PUT UP A REPLY TO THE PURPLE AND BLACK STRIPE PROBLEM I DUNNO PROBABLY PURE LAZINESS, BUT I'M A NOOB AT THIS SO I HAD TO WASTE TWO HOURS ---- SO I'M DOING MY PART AND POSTING A SOLUTION SO THAT NO OTHER NOOB HAS TO GO THROUGH THE SAME SITUATION.

LETS TRY AN EXPERIMENT FOR ANYONE THAT FOUND THIS ANSWER USEFUL, JUST ADD A REPLY WITH "THANK YOU VERY MUCH"

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One Solution is .....don't depend on windows built in zip it SUCKS! Install proper WINZIP,WINRAR or freeware 7zip then don't ...double left click a zip file ...just right click file then choose WINZIP or 7zip or WINRAR then ... EXTRACT TO ..(folder same named as the zip/7zip file or winrar file) this will extract the zip/7zip/rar file and all its contents into a folder named the same name as the original zip file and you will keep all your files/content together
smile.gif

dsoonshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offence to anyone, but from an observers pov its really amazing how many people
would like to add their two cents about which zip program is better or how one should
use a zip program (especially since I mentioned the way to go about it).

Yet nobody has posted since the last post in March 7,08 the solution which if you google
you won't find an answer to, but will find one person in the U.K and one in Australia with
the issue and nobody willing to answer it, it just boggles the mind.

And did anybody post saying hey I don't think your zip file is corrupt, you're just going about
it the wrong way, try doing this.....

And before somebody wants to mention how good a program is, put yourself in an average
end users shoes which means whichever way is easier and faster.
I'm in the tech support sector, and people tend like to push their opinion on what is better,
how people should do this, but you know what honestly it doesn't mean squat unless you
focus on the issue at hand and contribute to a solution.

For the record, I'm still using a pretty old version of winzip, why - because it works, thats it
and whats easier than right-clicking a zip file and saying extract to here. Before that I've
just double clicked the file, winzip opens AND GUESS WHAT OMG THERES THE FILE.
laugh.gif

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
With the information docedog provided, Bri gave the best possible answer you could hope to get. He even asked what program docedog was using to do the extracting (the first troubleshooting step to identifying winzip as the issue) and he did not respond.

If he had of responded, then recommending winrar or the inbuilt windows zip would have solved the issue, with less troubleshooting than configuring winzip would have taken, and he would have been rid of that awful app. The last time I used winzip (late 90s), its default behavior was not to destroy folder structures.

dsoonshi said:
And before somebody wants to mention how good a program is, put yourself in an average
end users shoes which means whichever way is easier and faster.
The average no-knowledge end user of XP will use the inbuilt windows zip utility as it is included.
I would argue winrar is the easiest and fastest. It also does not destroy the older structure.
Focusing on the program when the issue clearly seems to be with the program used for extraction and not the archive (no errors on extraction mentioned) is bad?

People help where they can, and they are not psychic.
I must say though, the post above yours was not overly helpful....

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dsoonshi said:
And did anybody post saying hey I don't think your zip file is corrupt, you're just going about
it the wrong way, try doing this.....

Yes:

QUOTE(Bri @ Mar 7 2008, 11:02 PM) That's wrong. There is a folder named "TTMENU" in the .zip file that I linked to in my previous post in which all of the files except "TTMENU.DAT" are located. I downloaded it myself to make sure. You're not unzipping the .zip file correctly.

It sounds as though whatever you used to unzip the archive didn't retain any of the folders, which is probably why the skin isn't working.

What program are you using to unzip the .zip file containing the firmware?

Without knowing what unzip program he was using, it wasn't really possible to go any further. But knowing that he was unzipping the file wrong should have been enough for him to search for a different unzip program or ask for help using the one he had. And indeed it appears to have been enough, since as he figured it out himself and learned something in the process.

BTW, I use 7-zip which is very easy to use, fast, and has the convenient right-click options that don't require going into the full program to unzip an archive into a folder.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe but is it worth it?