Hacking [HELP] Trouble running wiiware through emuNand on USB

Lowen_Beehold

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all I've been following cyans guide on "Creating and using EmuNAND with USBLoaderGX cIOS - Neek - Neek2o" but before I can even install Neek2o I'm running in to an issue with games not loading and instead returning me to the Wii home screen.

I will start at the beginning. Using USB Uploader GX I dumped my Wiis nand on to a custom path I set on my on my HDD.

USB2:/Nands/ (My hardrive is partitioned and this is the partition that is Fat32).

I tested a couple of games that loaded to my emuNand from Wiis internal nand and they worked fine (I did this in USB Uploader GX). So I moved on to the next step of installing Neek2o.
To do this I followed another guide by cyan "NEEK INSTALLATION GUIDE". I followed this guide to the letter all the way up step 6 where I was told to launch Nswitch from the homebrew channel. After following this step my Wii froze.

I waited for almost an hour to make sure the console had actually frozen and wasn't just processing, powered down and retried Nswitch to the same result. I looked through the forum for anyone else that had this issue and found a post in which portugeek recommended:

Try loading into Sneek from something other than the channel. Anything that loads up bootmii will work. Simplest way is to load up the Homebrew Channel.. then press the Home button on the Wii Remote and "Launch Bootmii." If the Sneek environment boots up then it could be a problem with your installed nSwitch channel. If the Sneek environment doesn't then there's a problem with your Sneek setup.

So I loaded up bootmii from the homebrew channel and sure enough no Sneek meaning the was something wrong with the sneek setup. I started rereading the first tutorial to see if I missed something and figured maybe it was my cIOS. Using cIOS installer I installed d2x v10beta53-alt (249) as well as v10beta52 (250). I retried Nswitch but no change.

Out of ideas I decided to restart the whole process and deleted the emunand and (hopefully) all the other files I had downloaded in the process up until now. I also took the time to delete all the games except one (Super Mario 64) from my wiis internal nand.

This is where things got weird.I re-dumped my wiis internal nand to emuNand and this time using USB Uploaders WAD Manager for emuNand installed Tetris Party I chose this game because of the high compatibility rating it got on this thread GBATemp USB Game Compatibility Table and also because I had it previously loaded on the internal nand and it worked fine. Lo and behold Tetris didn't work (it sent me back to the Wiis home screen) however Super Mario 64 worked perfectly. So a game that should be working fine through cIOS isn't and a game that (presumably) should be buggy without Neek2o works fine.

So I gets to thinking.
1 - This was probably the problem with my original attempt. I just didn't realise because I didn't try to load any wads.
2 - Games that are brought in to the emuNand from the internal nand work fine but WADs I load in to the emuNand don't work (I tried a couple more to be sure). The question is WHY?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the reason the games that are brought in to the emuNand from the internal nand work is because they are still loading from the internal nand. But that still doesn't explain why the WADs I load don't work. Their forwarding channels load with graphics but they all send me to Wii menu.

Sorry that this has become such a long post but I have spent so many hours trying to figure this out so I didn't want to miss out any details in case they turn out to be crucial to my problem. Everything else up until now has run smoothly but this is really kicking my ass. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Lowen_Beehold

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quick update -
Today I merged the partitions and formatted the whole HDD to fat32. I reset the nand emulation path to usb1/nand, emulation is set to full. I dumped the nand to emuNand. Used usb loader wad manager to load Tetris party. Try to play it and it takes me back to the Wii home screen again. WTF?

I'm now thinking its the cIOS. (What else could it be?). Is the a homebrew app that can check which version of cIOS I'm running? I updated it a couple of days ago using cIOS installer. If it's not this them I'm completely out of ideas. :sad:

Lowen_Beehold

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay I figured it out. For future reference anyone else facing this problem change your cIOS to d2x cIOS V8 final. This fixed the problem for me finally. So annoyed that it took me this long to realise it but also overjoyed that I figured it out and have everything running. Woot woot!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1