ROM Hack [HELP] SNES VC Decrypting doesn't work

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am, too. Injecting Lufia II with the Fixxxer Deluxe patch resulted in a black screen upon launch :(

Vanilla works, though...

Turns out it didn't like the ROM having a header. I removed it, tried injecting again and it now works.

Hello all! Thank you for posting all of this. I took the time read all of these posts yesterday to try and educate myself, but I must be messing something up. I keep getting a black screen and an error message on the bottom screen saying to hold power button when trying to open my injected CIAs. Here are the steps I am using, maybe someone can tell where I'm going wrong:

1) I use braindump on HBL to dump Super Mario World cryptofixed to cxi file.
2) Use Hacking Toolkit from PackEnglishV4.6 to extract cxi file (I click no when asked to decompress code.bin file).
3) Use Snes inyector, open data.bin from ExtractedRomFS folder. Open rom of choice (newest version of Snes inyector auto selects proper settings right? I don't need to change anything in there after selecting rom?) and then save data.bin overwriting the original one in ExtractedRomFS.
4) I'm not doing anything right now with icons or banners, or even title/unique ids to reduce any chance of errors in those steps, will attempt to implement those later if I can get this to work.
5) Use 3DS.Builder.1.1 to rebuild the 3DS file.
6) Convert 3DS file to CIA using 3DS Simple CIA Converter v4.3
7) Transfer CIA file to 3DS and install using FBI, install is successful. Open to black screen and error. I tried with 3 different roms, all are sfc roms.

What games did you try to inject? Some of them don't work, like the ones using SA-1 or Super FX chips.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turns out it didn't like the ROM having a header. I removed it, tried injecting again and it now works.

What games did you try to inject? Some of them don't work, like the ones using SA-1 or Super FX chips.
I tried first with Paperboy 2 which is the one I want to play, then a random one California Games II I think, then I used one I knew people have been able to get working as a test, Link to the Past. All do the same thing.

Last edited by Benja81,

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried first with Paperboy 2 which is the one I want to play, then a random one California Games II I think, then I used one I knew people have been able to get working as a test, Link to the Past. All do the same thing.

I don't know, then.. Maybe braindump is breaking things somehow? I didn't use that for my injections; I grabbed the cryptofixed cias off of that ISO site, typed "cia" in the Hacking Toolkit, gave it the name of the SMW cia, said no to decompressing the code.bin, and it extracted everything I needed.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, then.. Maybe braindump is breaking things somehow? I didn't use that for my injections; I grabbed the cryptofixed cias off of that ISO site, typed "cia" in the Hacking Toolkit, gave it the name of the SMW cia, said no to decompressing the code.bin, and it extracted everything I needed.

Here's something weird, I tried a few times last night to type CIA with a cryptofixed CIA and then type the name like you said you're doing. It goes through everything like it normally does with the CXI, but for some reason I don't end up with any new folders in the PackHack directory like I do with the CXI.

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's something weird, I tried a few times last night to type CIA with a cryptofixed CIA and then type the name like you said you're doing. It goes through everything like it normally does with the CXI, but for some reason I don't end up with any new folders in the PackHack directory like I do with the CXI.

If the filenames have spaces in them, remove them. I ran into that same problem until I gave the cias simple names with no spaces.

If you've already done that, then I don't know what else to tell you... Maybe check and make sure if the roms you're using are clean dumps, and try removing any headers if they're present.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the filenames have spaces in them, remove them. I ran into that same problem until I gave the cias simple names with no spaces.

If you've already done that, then I don't know what else to tell you... Maybe check and make sure if the roms you're using are clean dumps, and try removing any headers if they're present.
That was it!! I took out the spaces and now it works using the CIA extract. Going to try to inject with this now, will report how it goes. Thanks!

FONZD

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Have you make a try with a decrypted .cia, snes inyector and ba-GUI-nnertool ?

nemesis87345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
anyone can explaine me how to make an icon for my snes vc ?i have tried all day with 3ds banner maker and ba-GUI-nnertool but in my 3ds bottom screen the icon i have set don't show and there are a blu 3ds icon

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you make a try with a decrypted .cia, snes inyector and ba-GUI-nnertool ?
I'm not doing anything with banners for the moment. I just want to get this working to make sure I'm doing it right, then I'll try with the banners. Now I'm no longer getting black screen but getting stuck on Nintendo 3DS screen.Here's what I'm doing now:

1) Use Hacking Toolkit from PackEnglishV4.6 to extract csi file (I click no when asked to decompress code.bin file).
2) Use Snes inyector, open data.bin from ExtractedRomFS folder. Open rom of choice (newest version of Snes inyector auto selects proper settings right? I don't need to change anything in there after selecting rom?) and then save data.bin overwriting the original one in ExtractedRomFS.
3) I'm not doing anything right now with icons or banners, or even title/unique ids to reduce any chance of errors in those steps, will attempt to implement those later if I can get this to work.
4) Use 3DS.Builder.1.1 to rebuild the 3DS file.
5) Convert 3DS file to CIA using 3DS Simple CIA Converter v4.3
6) Transfer CIA file to 3DS and install using FBI, install is successful. Open but hanging on Nintendo 3DS screen. I tried with 2 different roms, both are sfc roms. Paperboy 2 and Link to the Past (because I know that one has been able to work for others).

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not doing anything with banners for the moment. I just want to get this working to make sure I'm doing it right, then I'll try with the banners. Now I'm no longer getting black screen but getting stuck on Nintendo 3DS screen.Here's what I'm doing now:

1) Use Hacking Toolkit from PackEnglishV4.6 to extract csi file (I click no when asked to decompress code.bin file).
2) Use Snes inyector, open data.bin from ExtractedRomFS folder. Open rom of choice (newest version of Snes inyector auto selects proper settings right? I don't need to change anything in there after selecting rom?) and then save data.bin overwriting the original one in ExtractedRomFS.
3) I'm not doing anything right now with icons or banners, or even title/unique ids to reduce any chance of errors in those steps, will attempt to implement those later if I can get this to work.
4) Use 3DS.Builder.1.1 to rebuild the 3DS file.
5) Convert 3DS file to CIA using 3DS Simple CIA Converter v4.3
6) Transfer CIA file to 3DS and install using FBI, install is successful. Open but hanging on Nintendo 3DS screen. I tried with 2 different roms, both are sfc roms. Paperboy 2 and Link to the Past (because I know that one has been able to work for others).

Now that one I have no idea... I did run into that issue at one point, but it went away when I closed and restarted 3DS Builder...

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, thanks to you, I managed to put up a quick 'n' dirty guide for injecting SNES roms.

The banner stuff is still beyond me, though. I'll try to figure it out in the meantime.

http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=45583

Thanks for everything!
Thank you @Fugelmir !! That worked for me. I was doing everything right, but I guess there was something wrong with the base CIA I was using. Using your "PUBLICDOMAINROM" did the trick! :) Now I'm on to attempting the icons, banners, and possibly messing with the IDs.

Edit: Got everything working including the banners and icons, thank you everyone. If anyone is interested in Paperboy 2 I uploaded to both of those sites..once the threads are approved.

Last edited by Benja81,
Reactions: Fugelmir

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note: You need to know whether the rom you want to inject is hirom or lorom. You can check this by launching the game in Snes9x. It will give you a digest of the rom in the opening. Also make note of the Mbits in this digest as it has to match as well in snesinjector.

...And that's probably why I couldn't get the Chrono Trigger Retranslation romhack to work. Damned thing is 64 megabits according to Snes9x.

HeroPrinny

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...And that's probably why I couldn't get the Chrono Trigger Retranslation romhack to work. Damned thing is 64 megabits according to Snes9x.

Will you try again?

I'm pretty sure I tried the retranslation on 64 megabits and all I got was a black screen

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will you try again?

I'm pretty sure I tried the retranslation on 64 megabits and all I got was a black screen
btw the translation isnt 64 megabits let me try injecting rom 2 sec
Snes9 lies

Found the Problem Guys we have a new Issue lololol. EXTENDED HIROMS

Normal Chrono
f60753f32af416d2ee2a70747a8e9744.png

Retranslated Chrono

7142a9909d2d08d0a713c7ac09e503ac.png

Last edited by izy,

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw the translation isnt 64 megabits let me try injecting rom 2 sec
Snes9 lies

Found the Problem Guys we have a new Issue lololol. EXTENDED HIROMS

Normal Chrono
f60753f32af416d2ee2a70747a8e9744.png

Retranslated Chrono

7142a9909d2d08d0a713c7ac09e503ac.png

Looks like I was wrong. :(

On top of squee666's post, after injecting the ROM with Raugo's tool, I tried modifying the data.bin with a hex editor to set offset 33 to what I thought was 64 megabits. Game still froze at the same spot.

Last edited by Heimdallr,

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I don't know why the special chips don't work with the correct codes, I found it decrypting the Wiiu version of the games and is the correct code, when I inject a game with the code, the vc menu show correctly but the game don't launch. These are the codes if anyone wants to try. SA1 = A210 CX4 = 1711
If anyone know another game with special chip that can be found in the Wiiu eShop tell me and I can check the code.

Reactions: Azel

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like I was wrong. :(

On top of squee666's post, after injecting the ROM with Raugo's tool, I tried modifying the data.bin with a hex editor to set offset 33 to what I thought was 64 megabits. Game still froze at the same spot.
im trying Dragon Quest 3 which when Patched becoes a 48mb ExHirom aswell

Nvm it doesnt work

Hmm chrono trigger loads but doesnt go past first text dialogue

Last edited by izy,

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im trying Dragon Quest 3 which when Patched becoes a 48mb ExHirom aswell

Nvm it doesnt work

Hmm chrono trigger loads but doesnt go past first text dialogue

Yep, same thing happened to me the first time I tried injecting it. It freezes right before it's supposed to fade into Crono's room.

And that long shot of an idea went bust... Since apparently values 14 and 15 in offset 41 indicate Lorom and Hirom respectively, I thought "maybe 16 and 17 are ExLorom and ExHirom blah blah blah". Nope.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)