Help: Sky3ds card (orange buttons) not working. Sorry if repeat.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by BouncyCheetaj, Oct 24, 2016.

1. BouncyCheetaj
    OP

BouncyCheetaj Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    Hello ladies and gerbils,

I bought a Sky3ds a while ago. Two orange buttons. Got it working to a degree, but it then wouldn't accept further transfers saying it was full when it wasn't.

Any road, I decided to format the card and start again and now it won't be recognised by the 3ds.

Could someone please link me up with a tutorial as to what/where to download what I need, and the steps I need to go through to get everything working?

Apologies for what is probably an old topic. I looked through the FAQ and Googled, but there are so many different problems/flashcarts etc it gets confusing.

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Sounds like you have a fake SD card. They tend to report more capacity than they actually have.

3. BouncyCheetaj
    OP

BouncyCheetaj Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    Could be. I'll try from scratch again, make sure everything is correct. Then if it still doesn't work, I'll get a new one.

4. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Make sure it's formatted to FAT32 with cluster size 64KB.

5. BouncyCheetaj
    OP

BouncyCheetaj Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    Could you point me to some instructions somewhere so I can make sure everything is in the proper order? Cheers.

6. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    The 64k cluster actually causes slower SD reading and was found to be counterproductive.

@BouncyCheetaj, you'll have to get a new SD. If you ordered your current one from somewhere like Amazon, then make sure you examine the listing thoroughly. Some vendors will advertise a 128 GB card that actually only has 16 GB, or something like that. You can also check to see if your card is indeed fake with a tool called H2testw.

7. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Except the Sky 3DS+ is picky about that sort of thing, and needs the 64KB cluster size. I had a similar problem and after formatting to that cluster size (as described on their website), it worked.

astronautlevel and Joom like this.
  8. BouncyCheetaj
    OP

BouncyCheetaj Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    I will do, but I'm not yet convinced it isn't just me doing the install process wrong. Could you link to a tutorial that's up to date and right for this particular card? It would be a big help.

9. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    http://sky3ds.com/sky+.html

10. BouncyCheetaj
    OP

BouncyCheetaj Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    Meh. Can't seem to even update the firmware. I think I'm a retard.

11. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Did you test the card to see if it's fake or not?

12. BouncyCheetaj
    OP

BouncyCheetaj Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    The card itself seems OK.

13. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Seems or is? If it reports that there isn't any space left yet seemingly there is then that's a good indication that the card is either fake, got corrupted somehow, or is reaching EoL.

14. BouncyCheetaj
    OP

BouncyCheetaj Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    I'm not exactly Steve Jobs, as you may have gathered, but I'm going out on a limb and saying the card is OK. I've reformatted it, and it seems fine. The computer recognises it and I can transfer stuff to it. It's the right size and what have you.

15. BouncyCheetaj
    OP

BouncyCheetaj Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    I think it's the 3ds itself. Will report back.

16. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Like I said, test the card with H2testw. This will definitively tell you if it's the card or not. Just because the card formats properly and your OS reports the "correct" capacity doesn't mean that it's working as it should.

17. BouncyCheetaj
    OP

BouncyCheetaj Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2016
    Got a new card that is definitely fine...still the same problem. The sky3ds isn't recognised by the 3ds. The new card creates a setting.txt when entered into the machine...but it's blank...there is no firmware listed on it, or anything else for that matter. Don't know if that means anything, but I mentioned it for accuracy. Am I right to think the sky3ds card is a bust?

18. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    Test the sd card with H2testw.

19. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Have you formatted it to FAT32 with 64KB cluster?

Boogieboo6 likes this.
  20. spkuja

spkuja GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2007
    Okay, so with the Sky 3DS+

Make sure you're formatting it to FAT32 with 64KB cluster.
    Make sure you're using a high quality MicroSD card, not a cheap off-brand from eBay. I use a SanDisk 64GB card in mine.
    Make sure the ROMS you are copying are clean, unmodified .3DS files (Retail only games, no eshop downloads)
    Make sure you have the settings.txt file on your memory card
    When you first put it into your 3DS after copying new games, sometimes it will show no game. Try pressing a button or removing and re-inserting it into the console.
    Make sure you're not using the disk writer tool, this is for the old blue button Sky3DS, just drag and drop your files.

It really is as simple as that. If you still can't get it to work, you might want to consider returning it for a replacement.