Hacking Help! Semi-brick and unreadable discs.

Fredolow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi Folks,

This may have been discussed here. I did a quick search and found bits and pieces but couldn't see anything specific to the issue I'm having. If I've missed something and there's already an answer to this somewhere my apologies and please point me in the right direction:

The issue:
I think I have a semi-bricked Wii. It was bought in Asia (new) and is an American model. I've since moved to Europe. Recently I purchased a Wii Fit (Europe version) which insisted on doing an update, after which the game wouldn't load. Other games still seem to load okay but when I try going into my setting I get the Opera error message. I downloaded wii-ntsc-systemmenu-v289.rar which contains the ISO (update-menu-for-ntsc.iso) which I believe is supposed to fix this issue. I cut the ISO image to disc using Nero but the problem is my Wii won't read the disc. I've tried +, - and RW discs burnt at +4 and had no luck with any of them (so far these have been Imation and Vison brand). One other thing, after I've created the disc from the image file on my PC, the disc contents looks blank when I try and explore it on the PC. Is this normal? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgable about these sort of things :/

Can anyone offer any advice on what the problem might be? Am I going about this the right way? Is this still the right ISO to be using for this problem? Any guidance anyone can offer would be most appreciated!

Thanks and kind regards,

Fredo

Fredolow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
MizuhoChan said:
You updated an American Wii with a European update. There's your problem.

Yes, I'd figured that much out myself. My question was how to get my Wii up and running again now that it's in ths state i.e. get my settings back? Or are you saying that because I've inadverntantly updated a US Wii with an EU update that that's the reason it won't read the discs with the ISO image, because that was my question?

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
Well, I suppose if you have the Twilight hack installed and you can boot it, you could downgrade to a lower US firmware. Or the HBC if you have that. I think there is a region changer homebrew somewhere too, but I never used it, so I'm not sure.

You'll need some way to boot code to do anything about it though.

Fredolow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, thanks but as a non-techie that doesn't mean much to me. Does this mean I need to install something other than the ISO image I have, which I thought was designed to correct this problem? I think the real issue I have now is that my Wii won't read any of the ISO image discs that I write (although it will read games discs fine). This suggests to me the issue may be with the discs that I'm using (in the first place) i.e. if I can get the Wii to read my written discs and therefore accept the ISO image this may correct the problem. What I need to know is if the Wii is overly sensitive to certain discs i.e. + or -, RW or from a certain brand? If I can get it to first read the disc and look at the ISO data I'll know then if there's another issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: