Help on my brother's homework???

iceypathx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there, my brother is working on his culminating activity to choose his personal hobbies. He said he likes playing with the 3DS. Why is the 3DS better than the PS vita? How? HOW?

iceypathx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The 3DS is the best handheld because it can run pokemon battles in 3D at 14fps and has the screen resolution of a ten year old smartphone.

Thank you very much, we now have a lot of points. I'll make him have a reference list giving credit towards you and the rest of the members posted.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's a difficult question because I don't think either of the systems is factually "better", they have their pro's and con's though, so a comparative analysis would probably be a better framework for that kind of an activity. "Which one's better?" is very subjective unless you narrow down the categories in which one surpasses the other objectively.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the 3DS has a better supported library of games. I don't care for the system itself, but there's much more to play on it than the Vita. Plus...

Fuck you, we aren't cousins anymore, you told me to leave you alone, so you leave me alone, don't ruin the thread. Also, this is also the place to ask those question.

...3DS threads always seem to bring the drama.

As a guy who lives on that sort of stuff, it's like a Gateway drug.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Shadap Foxi
How mature! :)

In any case, here's my quick run-down of the features with the clear-cut winners:
  • Specs and Horsepower: PSVita > 3DS, no question about it.
  • Screen: In a 800x240/2x400x240 3D versus 960x544 OLED bout everything depends on whether you have any intention of using the 3D at all. The OLED unquestionably provides far superior detail, it's very crisp, just delightful to look at. On the negative side, it has certain flaws - streaks or even blobs when displaying dark colours, although blobs are a real rarity. The 3DS screen has no such issues, plus it's 3D which is really impressive to look at. On the other hand, it's low-resolution, pixelated and the 3D is really a gimmick that you occasionally turn on, not to mention that not everyone even sees it. There's no clean-cut winner in this category - it's a matter of personal preference.
  • Online:This is another problematic aspect since both systems have something going for them, so I'll divide this part into subsections.
    • Friends List: The PSVita > 3DS hands-down, at least until registering friends using NNID instead of Friend Codes is implemented. Friend Codes need to die, seriously, it's 2014. Implement a system of Invites, Nintendo - that's the way to go.
    • The Shop: PSVita > 3DS. Out of the two respective shops, the PSVita's PSN one is better-organized in my opinion. There's definitely more sales, additional price cuts for PSPlus subscribers and it has content beyond video games, for example PSMobile apps or movies, subject to availability.
    • Services: PSPlus kthxbye. Really, there's just no equivalent on the 3DS, so there's no contest here. Other third-party services such as Netflix or Youtube have their equivalents on both systems, so the support is there.
    • Social: The PSVita supports Facebook integration in certain games and has a Facebook app, although support is pretty rudimentary. The 3DS on the other hand supports MiiVerse, and although it does so only via a browser-based app, it's still pretty flexible and roboust. Depending on your service preference, either one is fine. I kinda lean towards the 3DS here because the support is more roboust - I'm a sucker for MiiVerse drawings, I suppose.
    • Web Browser: In terms of sheer capabilities, the PSVita wins in this category - its browser supports HTML5 incredibly well for a handheld console one, but I've noticed that the 3DS one is faster and snappier, although much more rudimentary. Depending on whether you want a fast and snappy mobile web experience or a full-blown browser that takes a bit more time, either one works.
    • Instant Messaging and Communication: If the 3DS still had Swapnote, I would've said that the 3DS wins in the messaging category... but it doesn't. Swapnote was "swapped" (see what I did there? :tpi:) with MiiVerse and I think that's a step backwards. The PSVita's message system supports text and attachments just like Swapnote did, the only downside is that there's no way to draw... bummer. As for other kinds of communication, the PSVita supports webcam parties, (yay? :creep:) and voicechat wheras on the 3DS, those features have to be embedded in-game to be available. With this in mind, points go to the PSVita.
  • Games: Ahh, games, games, games... It used to be "3DS has no gaem", then it was "PSVita has no gaem", now it's "Wii U has no gaem"... :tpi: Both systems have good titles in their libraries at this point, really - for every "Resident Evil: Revelations" there's an "Uncharted: Golden Abyss" and for every "Bravely Default" there's a "Persona 4 Golden". I suppose the general consensus is that if you're into Nintendo games, you go with the 3DS and if you're into Sony games, you go with the PSVita. What I did notice though is that the 3DS hasn't got a single FPS game in its library yet despite having the perfect setup for them, which is odd-bizzare. The PSVita has plenty of those, so if that's your sort of thing, go nuts. To be entirely fair though, the 3DS has a more spacious library - there's just more games out for it, which is worth keeping in mind.
  • Pricetag: This is a controversial category. With the recent release of the 2DS, the 3DS became a very affordable machine (...even though Nintendo forces you to buy basic hardware, for example a charger because they figured bundling one wasn't such a swell idea) plus it supports widely-available and cheap SD cards, so it's very low-maintenance. On the other hand, the PSVita is getting more and more affordable... unfortunately, it uses a very expensive proprietery memory card for storage, which is a bummer. It's definitely the more expensive one, so here points go to the 3DS...
  • Value: ...but which one is a better value deal? Oddly enough, I find the PSVita to be the victor in this category, and again, we come back to the PSPlus and PSN points. With a PSPlus subscription you get infinitely more content than what you pay for - I noticed that the great majority of the games I play are not ones that I personally purchased but the ones I was given from the service for free. Additionally, the PSN store offers really good deals every now and then. This generation Sony changed my look on digital distribution - I used to dislike it, now I see its benefits and although I still prefer and value a game in-box and on a physical medium of storage, these days I only ever buy the ones I really like boxed, unless they're just a better deal or I'm trading. The sheer amount of games Sony digitally pumps into my memory card is staggering, I ran out of space incredibly fast and now I have to go through the monthly routine of deciding what I want to keep and what I have to get rid of.
Just a piece of my mind, I will build up upon this further if I get more ideas. ;)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi there, my brother is working on his culminating activity to choose his personal hobbies. He said he likes playing with the 3DS. Why is the 3DS better than the PS vita? How? HOW?
Here's a highly controversial idea: ASK HIM!

The answers can vary from "it has pokémon and Mario" to "double screens" to "easier to pirate". Or the color of the thing, for all I care. I don't know, and anyone who pretends to know your brother either lives close by or works for the NSA. Everyone else is just voicing their own opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.