Help needed: All GBA games crashing

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by khan, Aug 17, 2007.

Aug 17, 2007
  1. khan
    OP

Member khan GBAtemp Maniac

Pakistan
    I have recently bought an M3 Lite, I only really bought it to play GBA games. Anyways, I am using the latest firmware(3.5) and main manager(3.4d) but even then all of the games I launch just crash. As for the media, I am using SanDisk 1GB Ultra II w/ FAT.

What should I do? Thanks in advance.

2. crazyshiza

Member crazyshiza GBAtemp Regular

I think it needs to be FAT32

3. khan
    OP

Pakistan
    If I format microSD to FAT32 with default cluster size. Will that fix it?

4. khan
    OP

Pakistan
    Ok, just to update, whilst games are not crashing as often as they did before.

Is there a better solution to completely get rid of those damn crashes. What cluster size you guys recommend me? If FAT32 is not doing the job for me, sure, may be formatting to a certain cluster size will do?

Anyy help will be appreciated.

5. babelfish

Newcomer babelfish Member

United States
    Taken directly from the M3 Wiki:
    I used 16k for my 2GB Kingston (Japan), and now my GBA games load up fine.

Which brings a question to mind: are your games failing to load, or are they crashing in-game? If it's the latter then you might have bad memory, or in worst case a defective M3.

Good luck, and hopefully reformatting fixes your problem [​IMG]

6. khan
    OP

Pakistan
    All the games loading alright but crash in-game. It can not be because of the memory as I have been using the same card for about a year in different carts as well, so that can not be it. I will try to re-format the microSD to FAT32 again but this time with highest cluster size for my 1GB MicroSD which I think should be 8KB.

7. Xeronage

Member Xeronage GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Press Start(Loads it into memory)(not A) to run GBA games, in GBA mode(not NDS mode!).
    Also, format in FAT16 64k clusters.

8. khan
    OP

Pakistan
    I formatted my SanDisk 1GB Ultra II to FAT 64KB cluster size and upon pressing start when selecting a GBA games, it then does not even load. It stays at 0000Kb/Loading xxxx.dat screen or something like this

I am now going to try FAT32 w/ 4KB cluster size, and see if that get rids of the crashing problems. Previously, FAT32 did load and played quiet well but still crashed. Now with 4KB cluster size, I am hoping for better results.

Will update soon.

9. khan
    OP

Pakistan
    Ok, it would not even load up M3 menu when I formatted to FAT w/ 4KB cluster size. what should I? FAT w/ 64Kb is not even loading GBA games.

Best, I can do is FAT32 w/ default cluster size but seems to crash in-games quiet often. I am now going to try FAT w/ default cluster size.

Man, so much trouble...more updates to come

10. khan
    OP

Pakistan
    Clean GBA game seems have run fine. I have been able to go through the 1st mission of Metal Slug Advance just fine for the first time ever.

I then turned it OFF before turning it back ON and game not only loaded the 2nd mission but it did not crash on me. Played through half of the 2nd mission w/o a crash so, I am assuming that it had to with the M3 Manager?

I will have to re-download every game again and have raw copies.

Thanks everyone for your help. BTW, I am on FAT32 w/ default cluster size. [​IMG]