OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hi
I have a very annoying problem with Retroarch and mupen64plus-next core : retroarch is freezing radomly while playing N64 games especially with RAREWARE games (Blast corps and Banjo Kazooie are freezing a lot, Conker and perfect dark sometimes) I cant do anything and have to go back to switch home menu and close app
I think it happens during small framerate drops but not sure

Sometimes it freezes immediately after 30 sec and sometimes after minutes
Tried to reduce screen resolution but it didn’t help
Problem appears in both docked and handheld
I don’t think I have the problem with non rareware games

Anyone has this problem?

DrippyB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bump.
Im having this EXACT same issue with Donkey Kong 64 which is also a Rareware developed game. Tried turning off sysmodules and shader to see if it’d make a difference as well as played with many settings to no avail. Just keeps freezing, sometimes instantly, sometimes after 20 minutes.
Post automatically merged:

UPDATE
I found a solution its just a rather strange one, or at least one i wouldnt expect. Changing the audio driver from switch_audren_thread over to just switch completely gets rid of the freezing. Not really sure why this is the case but I found someone online from 2 years ago on a forum recommend this and it worked. Ive also been informed for some reason the switch_audren_thread was known for this issue and while its been greatly improved it clearly still exhibits issues in certain titles such as DK64 and rareware titles. Its best just to use the switch audio driver anyway because on switch the only benefits from the switch_audren_thread driver is being able to record audio with the built in video capture as the regular switch driver will not record audio. Know this thread is old but hopefully this helps you and anyone else that stumbles upon this. Shout out to the good fellas on the RetroNX discord who gave me more insight on this issue.

Last edited by DrippyB,

Lyzing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
UPDATE
I found a solution its just a rather strange one, or at least one i wouldnt expect. Changing the audio driver from switch_audren_thread over to just switch completely gets rid of the freezing. Not really sure why this is the case but I found someone online from 2 years ago on a forum recommend this and it worked. Ive also been informed for some reason the switch_audren_thread was known for this issue and while its been greatly improved it clearly still exhibits issues in certain titles such as DK64 and rareware titles. Its best just to use the switch audio driver anyway because on switch the only benefits from the switch_audren_thread driver is being able to record audio with the built in video capture as the regular switch driver will not record audio. Know this thread is old but hopefully this helps you and anyone else that stumbles upon this. Shout out to the good fellas on the RetroNX discord who gave me more insight on this issue.
You are my hero, I can finally play Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Kazooie on my switch lite :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"