[HELP] identify a r4 clone

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by mad-murdock, Sep 24, 2010.

Sep 24, 2010

[HELP] identify a r4 clone by mad-murdock at 9:51 AM (1,585 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. mad-murdock
    OP

Newcomer mad-murdock Newbie

Germany
    what i got here is a "r4ds" of a distant family member. unlike my acekard2.1 this one is a little unstable with some games.

i decided to help and install "new" firmware. and found out, it is no r4ds. why ?

- the original firmware 1.18 doesnt work on it
    - playing around with ysmenu, i noticed, the r4 will only start custom _DS_MENU.DAT if it is unencrypted. an original r4 would need it encrypted

so i was hoping some people here could help me identfy what is really in this r4 and i would perhaps be able to install ysmenu or something else so 1mb save games (and others) might run.

the card's look:
    [​IMG]
    note: this one says "Upgrade" direct above Revolution for DS. Rest is exactly like this image

the directory structure of the factory-firmware:
    [​IMG]
    remark: moonshell 1.7 is on the card, but not used. you gotta start the moonshell .nds by yourself

a zip archive of the factory-firmware:
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-284119...rmware.zip.html

hope somebody can help identifying - and also hope there is some way to put on a new firmware (even if its not bleeding edge)

2. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    Does it say upgrade? If it does it's most likely a clone.

3. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    Does it say upgrade? If it does it's most likely a clone.

4. mad-murdock
    OP

Germany
    yes - as i noted in my first post - it DOES say upgrade. and i am sure that its a clone, that why i wrote the reasons for it ^^

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    UPGRADE is a clone even the bmp files should tell you that in the loader you shared it says R4 III this was also a clone of a clone!

moonshell always came with the original R4 it used the middle button on the R4 menu [​IMG]

try using some of the other clone firmware such as the R4 gold etc that uses the TTDS/YSMENU until you find a version that works [​IMG]

its trial and error [​IMG]

6. mad-murdock
    OP

Germany
    thanks for your help, kobykaan.

you got a more complete list of firmware to try? so i can use google/forum search to try them? r4 gold would be one name...

7. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    You could start to go through all the clone firmware found here (there's a whole R4 section right near the bottom)

8. mad-murdock
    OP

Germany
    omg! thats a lot and HUGE [​IMG]

when i am back at that family-part next week, i will try them from top to bottom. thank god i always read reviews on gbatemp and i personally would never buy such a crap