Gaming [HELP] GameCube cMIOS acting strange!

gygabyte666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all!

I hope someone here can help me. I've been driving myself mad over this for the past 3 days!

Anyway, to start, I usually don't update my cIOSs, IOSs or anything really on my Wii that often, unless I buy a new game for it and need to so I can play it. Recently though, after reading about several releases that went by that I missed, I decided maybe I should update my cMIOS to get the new bug-fixing benefits. After I updated, I was in the middle of getting ready to replay an old game with cheats. So I loaded up NeoGamma and tried booting the game as usual using Ocarina codes on. Well, I should have NEVER done any of that, my MIOS hasn't been the same since! :(

My Wii's original (4-5 years ago) setup was a 4.1U, clean system that has had DarkCorps v1.1 FULL installed on it (Waninkoko cMIOS installed). Oh and please spare me of the DarkCorps whining. I love DarkCorsp and I have never had a problem that anyone could directly relate back to it's use, so please...Anyway, aside from the major DarkCorps overhaul, it has only had mostly minor updates over the past few years, usually directly related to using USB loaders, new game fixes (NSMB, Black Ops, etc) and important ©IOS updates. If anything else that might have been installed over the years wasn't mentioned and is possibly relevant to fixing my problems, please ask and i'll try to get you an answer.

I believe my MIOS is corrupted (can that happen?) because now if I reinstall Waninkoko v4,5,8 or 10 of cMIOS (which all give me an OK upon install) then try to load up a backup from the DC, it'll be all fine and dandy until it actually tries to load the game using the Backup Loader. Once it shows the GameCube Backup Loader v1.1 screen, it just freezes. I can still hear the disc spinning but it never initializes and loads it like it use to. :(

All that said, I obviously use the Disc Channel to launch almost all of my GC backups. Since this has happened, the only cMIOS that I can use that actually functions and plays the backups from the DC is the old, outdated WiiGator 0.2 release. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to at least have something that works and if it's the best i'll get then I won't be too disappointed but As I said, the release is outdated and is probably bug-loaded, The interface/design sucks, and I have to manually tell it to load every game. The version I WAS using from Waninkoko v8 if I recall correctly. It did everything by itself and it had a nice design that didn't look so horrible when loading the discs. Also, I don't remember ever being able to get Waninkoko's cMIOS working using v10, which is why I always stuck with v8.

That about sums the issue up. I've tested about every damn version of MIOS trying to come across a nice, clean interfaced one, that actually boots my backups from the DC. Clearly, no success yet and I don't know what else to do anymore.

Thanks for sticking through it and reading my eyeball-bleeding, long thread! I hope someone has a possible fix for me to try.

UPDATE: Hmm, now that's odd. If I use Waninkoko's cMIOS and run a backup using NeoGamma, it loads up just fine, like it use to. However, if I do the same thing from the DC, it locks up and gets frozen on the GameCube Backup Loader v1.1 screen. I would ask if Waninkoko's cMIOS is NeoGamma only compatable but I know for a fact that I was using it with the DC before the break. At the least, it was a cMIOS that looked and acted almost exactly like this does.

UPDATE #2: This has been SOLVED and is no longer an issue. My own stupidity was the only real issue. I am still convinced that I made a bad burn of my game. Currently, i'm working on testing this out by re-burning the game and trying to load it again via the DC. It must be a flaw with the cMIOS software itself. Burned a new copy of Wind Waker and verified it's integrity to ensure a good burn. Tested it and it still won't load via the DC, just sits there, like it's frozen. NeoGamma still loads it perfectly though.

gygabyte666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest not worrying about running GameCube backups from the disc channel. Try installing WiiGator's cMIOS and using the latest version of NeoGamma.

WOW that was fast! Thanks for the suggestions but as I said, I just want to try to fix whatever got messed up with DC loading. It was working great. Besides, isn't WiiGator's cMIOS horribly outdated?

Try using WiiGator+WiiPower cMIOS which you can get from modmii by going to page 4 & typing 10 .

Sadly, i've tried this too. Many, many times. WiiGator+WiiPower's cMIOS only works under NeoGamma and I really don't use it that much. I use the DC almost exclusively. Thanks for the tips though.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If WiiGator's cMIOS + NeoGamma works, that's good news. Before i read that i suspected that your drive is going bad. If the disc channel GC loading is broken with Waninkoko's cMIOS and WiiGator's cMIOS, then (and only then) it might be related to some priiloader patch or the cIOS(

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The WiiGator's cMIOS that I linked to is the version found in the NeoGamma R9 thread. It is highly recommended that you use it and NeoGamma for your GameCube backup-loading needs since it appears to have the best compatibility. If you're wanting to use the disc channel and DarkCorp for no reason, then you can expect to run into issues.

gygabyte666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I'm a dumbass. I must have a bad burn of Wind Waker or something. I just reinstalled v10 of Waninkoko's cMIOS and tried testing a different game out using the DC and it worked. Afterwards, I then tried out a copy I made of my old Action Replay and that worked too from the DC. It's weird though, my backup copy of Wind Waker was working before I thought. It even loads and runs through NeoGamma. Is that weird or what? Good news is, the problem may have not really been a problem afterall. Bad news is, I may have wasted your time. I'm sorry guys I was just in the middle of playing WW so it was the only game I kept testing with. :(

Question. Which would be better to use overall for backups? v8 or v10 of cMIOS? Mind you, i'm asking which has better compatibility and bug-fixes, etc. Not which one works better with NeoGamma. Remember it doesn't really apply to my current setup.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does Waninkoko's cMIOS have a patched MIOS mode? If not, the MIOS you use as base does not matter. In NeoGamma the best would be MIOSv10, because it contains all patches that might be required(only with patched MIOS mode) and it's also the version that works best with the debugging feature(with usb gecko to find out why games are not working).

Patched MIOS would get you something like the dungeon map in Wind Waker, although that's automatically taken care of if you boot the game with NeoGamma.

gygabyte666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know to be honest. I only use his cMIOS because its aesthetically pleasing. So if you had to guess,, v10 is probably better than v8, right? At least in your opinion?

EDIT: Also, how do I change the status of this thread to say [SOLVED] instead of [HELP]? Better yet, how do I just delete the whole thread? I highly doubt anyone else will have this same problem in the future. This thread now stands as nothing but a display of my own ignorance afterall and i'd be happier if I could just remove it altogether. >_>

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who tried to help me out before I realized what a dumbass mistake I had made. I really do appreciate everyone's help! For what it's worth, I did actually think for awhile I had a rather serious problem. I'm lucky and happy to have been wrong though. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-