Help: Game Save Region Conversion

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Nintynuts, Jun 14, 2010.

Jun 14, 2010
  1. Nintynuts
    OP

Newcomer Nintynuts Member

United Kingdom
    I've been trying to convert 3 of my NTSC saves to PAL, for SMG2, Ghostbusters and 'a boy and his blob'.

I used Wanin's save manager to extract them, I switched the NTSC files to the PAL folder then installed the save.

At first this worked for none of the games, so I had a look at the data files to look at he differences, and it turned out the NTSC and PAL files for both Ghostbusters and SMG2 were identical in HxD.

ab&hb was different however, so I transposed the non-0 bytes from the blank PAL file onto the NTSC file and installed it and it works (I've continued on the PAL version from where I left off).

Are the any suggestions as to why these save files are identical? also, where the real save data may be should this be dummy data?

I don't mind losing my Ghostbusters save so much, but I completed SMG2 and the save means a lot to me so I don't want to lose it, but I would really like to be using the PAL game.

I'm also intrigued as to what's going on here. Hope u guys have some ideas, coz I'm stumped!

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Well, they can't be identical, because if they are, you have completed the game in both regions.

I think there is somewhere (banner.bin perhaps?) the title ID of the game, which is different in each region. Check the NTSC save and the PAL save, change the title ID in the NTSC one to the PAL title ID then then put the files in the PAL folder and reinstall.

3. mattesno1

Newcomer mattesno1 Advanced Member

Germany
    I converted my SMG1 save from NTSC to PAL.
    I extracted the NTSC save and an empty PAL save using savegame manager.
    I got two folders: The XXXXXXXX45 folder contained the NTSC save and the one ending with 50 PAL.
    Each folder included two files one banner.bin and one other .bin file (dont remember the name though). I simply kept the PAL banner.bin and overwrote the other file with the NTSC savegame. Then I reinstalled the PAL save with savegame manager.

That should work for Galaxy 2 as well, I presume.

Just make sure you keep a backup of your saves, just in case I got the folders confused and you overwrite the wrong save!

4. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    That'd probably be simpler if it works.

5. bosman

Member bosman GBAtemp Regular

Australia
  6. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Thank you, that I will do just because I want it to be PAL [​IMG]