HELP DVD Drive doesnt work with modchip,constant red light.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Jhonyb, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Jhonyb
    OP

Newcomer Jhonyb Advanced Member

Colombia
    HEllo
    I bought a D2Pro (9 Wire Version) Solderless

My wii is a release date console so it should be a DMS D2A etc
    The chip that came doesnt have the points P N M L K 5 6 7 8 9 soldered when i placed it in place it shows a constant red light and my dvd drive doesnt work.

What should i do ????

2. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    Panic and cry, open up and check the drive, and the soldering etc.

3. Jhonyb
    OP

Colombia
    "panic and cry" isnt very helpfull. I figured it out what happened i had 4 more solders then needed.

SO i put it on a D2C wii console.
    It worked PERFECTLY has soon has i placed the chip, after i put Wii Sports original and then Samba de Amigo backup worked perfectly reading both discs.

I closed the console and placed the 4 screws from the DVD drive and tried again. Nothing worked drive didnt move. I removed the screws and then i add a constant red light i took and placed the chip more then 10 times and always gave me a constant red light....

How could this happen ?!?!!? working 1 min not working at all after???

It works removing the modchip with wii sports so nothing is damaged. Can u provide a solution for this strange issue????

4. atomikramp

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    How many wires did you solder on the DMS board?
    i think it's only 5 wires for the DMS D2A board.

how about the isolation of the chip when closing the console?

post a pic.

5. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Let me get this straight. The clip doesnt work on your DMS console but it works on a D2C Console?
    Did you order the right chip then?
    Well, Since it worked it Sounds like the clip might have moved when you screwed back on the case, which would re-position it and give it a red light,

6. Jhonyb
    OP

Colombia
    Ye the chip might have moved but i tried to place it 10 times or more again. I placed that cardboard thingy that comes with the wii clip has isolation.

Since i now know that the chip has 4 points soldered that shouldnt been i know that it will only work on my D2A if i removed the solder.

So i called a friend that had a d2c and he offered to buy the chip like i stated above worked perfectly has soon has i placed it right after i puted the backup and was flawless.
    After it stop working i took it and place it 10 or more times and i had a constant red light. And that is what bugs me, bc it worked flawlessly and then stopped working.

I read a solution of de soldering the CLK and making a bridge with a wire in the J spot but im not a good solder thats why i bought this solution.

Anyone has anything else to add?

7. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    it could be that the pins inside the clip are worn out. i don't know how to describe it else. you could try to bend the pins a little bit to the inside of the clip. but be careful not to break them. you could use a needle or something with a small tip. a frequent on and off of the clip is causing a high amount of mechanic stress on the little pins and they are not build for that.

i only pushed my clip on one time and it's working for more then 3 month now, without any problems.

8. Jhonyb
    OP

Colombia
    happened again.. puted the chip to try it out...

Worked on the blob backup placed the paper above it started duisplaying red light again...
    ARGH!

9. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is the drive not working, period? Like, not even ejecting discs? Check the power connector.

10. Jhonyb
    OP

Colombia
    no m8 drive is working everything works just not the chip bc it hass a constant red light....

Works when i install him 1 time then doesnt work more!
    [​IMG]

11. atomikramp

Italy
    firmware issue?

12. Screemer

Germany
    it could be a clock problem!

till now i thought this problem only comes to daylight on d2c boards. so maybe i am wrong, but you could give it a try.

wii-clip install diagram: http://wii-clip.com/images/V4C_D2Pro_9wires-8.jpg

€dit: and one other question. how did you disconnect the 4 unneeded solder points from the clip? are you absolutely sure that there is no connection left? i would recommend to put some insulating tape / duct tape (not sure what's the right word. i am german u know) over the unneeded soldering pads.

13. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Remove the chip, try to play a real game and tell us what happened.

14. Jhonyb
    OP

Colombia
    Guys

thx for all the replies...

The chip is currently in a D2C so forget about my console (DMS\D2A) so i didnt desolder the 4 points for my console.

Also i did no firmware upgrade bc the chip worked right away when i instaled 1st time.

Tbh i tried 3 times now placing the chip with an interval of an hour the chip worked everytime on 1st install but never when i tried to assemble the wii back.

Anyone has pics of a wii clip d2pro install ?? do i need to secure the chip with some tape?

let me know

@playallday: console works great with original real games, has soon has i remove the chip everything is great.

I tried pushing the contacts of the wii clip a bit forward still works only on 1st time i place the chip...
    So i might be doin something wrong when i try to close the wii thats why i would like some pics

15. Screemer

Germany
    i see. then my tip would be the already mentioned clock problem. i have seen a couple of people with the same symptoms on an other board. i posted the solution 3 posts above. give it a try.

http://wii-clip.com/V4B_for_D2pro-9.htm

16. atomikramp

Italy
    when you solder the J point, be sure to cut the clk jumper first.. or you will f**k ur wii up.

17. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i thought i saw on some tutorial that people use non conductive tape to make it stick to the position they want then assamble it again ..

18. Jhonyb
    OP

Colombia
    Hey Screemer...

the J point in the wiicliip is soldered so i just solder the cable on to it and then into the board?
    or do i need to un-solder the J point ?

19. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Unsolder the bridge linking J on the WiiClip, then solder a wire directly from the chip's J point to the board.

20. Jhonyb
    OP

Colombia
    so i need to unsolder the J point also ?