Help: Decrypting an update/DLC .cia

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by HelpTheWretched, Feb 7, 2017.

1. HelpTheWretched
    OP

HelpTheWretched Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    I keep running into roadblocks trying to decrypt an update/DLC .cia on O3DS, Luma3DS+A9LH installed with the 3ds.guide process. Could anybody give this semi-noob some advice that might help?
    • Decrypt9 simply will not start from HBL, unsure why,
    • The update .cia was installed via FBI
    • Braindump will dump the game and the update (separately) to .cxi, but neither seems properly decrypted when using ctrtool or 3DSExplorer.
    • I can't find a xorpad.
    • I own the retail game with the update, but dumping/decrypting the cart with Hourglass9 doesn't seem to include the update.
    • The game is Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (US), update is 2.1.0
    Anyway, I'm a bit clueless with CFW in general and just having trouble coming up with a way that should work.

2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Install Decrypt9 as a Luma3DS payload, like you did with Hourglass9.

3. HelpTheWretched
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks... although just from that instruction alone, I wouldn't have a clue what it means.

I've read this page from 3ds.guide several times over and still don't really understand. :(

"Installing" Decrypt9 as a Luma3DS payload doesn't necessarily install it to the 3DS/NAND, right? It just rests on the SD card and gets loaded on boot-up? And if that's the case, how does one control which button(s) you hold to boot to it? (I'm taking a wild guess that the step saying "rename Hourglass9.bin to start_Hourglass9.bin" is the key.)

4. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    No it doesn't install it to your system. And yes it's as simple as that Hourglass9 step.

5. HelpTheWretched
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Thank you again, Kunoichi. Worked marvelously. ^_^

KunoichiZ likes this.