Help deciding between 360 and PS3..

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Bluntsly, Sep 7, 2008.

Sep 7, 2008
  1. Bluntsly
    OP

Newcomer Bluntsly Member

Canada
    Hi everyone,

So for a few days I've been combing various message boards trying to decide between a PS3 and an Xbox 360. My girlfriend wants to get me a console for xmas this year, and I'm having a hard time picking one. On the 360 side of things I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Pro, becuase I want to download demos and I want backwards compatability so I can pick up some cheap xbox games, maybe download a few games from Live and have enough room for music, etc.. I don't think I would really require an Elite for that, thoughts?

Im trying to avoid WoT here.. [​IMG]

As far as PS3 goes, I know its an EXCELLENT value with the Blu-Ray player however that doesn't really interest me as I have a DVD Burner right now and.. yeah.. I dont purchase a lot of movies. Also I dont have a high definition TV so I wouldnt be taking full advantage of the BluRay.

It seems as tho hardwarewise the PS3 is a lot more reliable, are 360's as flimsy as they seem? I see many people commenting that they are on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th 360's.. Although I would imagine those would mostly have been free replacements from MS? When does the Jasper motherboard for the xbox 360 come into effect, do you think by Xmas?

I would be using it for games, not music so much or multimedia, nor for watching movies.. With that in mind, the 360's games seem more appealing currently however I'm also a lot less familir with the PS3 game lineup.

I plan on getting a VGA adaptor and using either system on a large CRT monitor, I reckon it would be more crisp than on my old 32 inch sony trinitron, is that a safe assumption?

ANY input at all would be greatly appreciated.. Be as bias as you want but be truthful. Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to read this and give some advice.

(PS am I allowed to post this on the ps3 message board aswell or is crossposting considered spam? Just to get more opinions from both sides...)

2. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    ahhh Flame war bait.

3. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing. Guess I'll go ahead and get it started..........360 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, since you have no interest in BluRay and don't have an HDTV, then the 360 is the most logical choice. It's cheaper, can be easily modded, and even if it does get RROD, its easily fixable or you can just ship the bastard back. Well worth the risk imo [​IMG]

4. GN-001 Exia

Banned GN-001 Exia Banned

United States
    grow some balls and chose one.

5. Bluntsly
    OP

Newcomer Bluntsly Member

Canada
    GN-001 Exia it's a major purchase and thats why I'm putting a lot of thought and research into choosing one.. If you dont have any opinions to share about either one, why don't you bump my topic for me?? [​IMG]

6. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    Essentially, these topics have been done over and over.

Look at the pros and cons for each system. Decide which one you want. Simple.

If you want my opinion, at this time, the 360 is the better system.

7. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Since you aren't going to be using it as Blu-ray player, skip the PS3 and get a 360. Try to get one that you can flash the drive on and get a decent dual-layer burner, and you're good to go.

I just bought a PS3, have had a 360 for some time, and it really does come down to the Blu-ray. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so IMO the games about equal and most are cross-platform these days with few exceptions (though those exceptions tend to be notable).

The 360 has great video (I used it on a regular CRT before I got my HDTV). The PS3 has better video, but only on HDMI.

PS3 Strengths: Blu-ray, fantastic video, strong media features
    PS3 Cons: Price, not hackable/moddable/pirate-unfriendly at this time.

360 Strengths: Pretty good video, strong media features, hackable/moddable/pirate-friendly
    360 Cons: HD-DVD died

8. blacksheep2

Newcomer blacksheep2 Newbie

United States
    If you/your family is on a budget, get the PS3. The basic model ($399.99) covers the Built-in wireless, a 80gb hard-drive, free online-gameplay and a bluray drive.

If you got the dough to play around with, then you should definitely get the XB360; (between PS3 and the XB360, It has one of the best collection of games).

- My personal answer to your question is to get both machines. Both Machines are considered to be are dirt-cheap (in contrast to its original prices) and both machines still got a about 3 years time to go before they go obsolete.

-Btw modding your xb360 is pretty costly (and time consuming) if you don't have the right tools to start with.

9. Bluntsly
    OP

Newcomer Bluntsly Member

Canada
    I'll be using wired internet, most likely, but doesnt the 360 pro come with wireless internet, or no? And the free online is a nice plus that will cover the different in price between ps3 and pro in two years.. And the bluray.. which doesn't really appeal to me.. By the time I need to get a bluray they'll cost about as much as DVD players do right now, lol.

10. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you have to pay $100 USD to buy the 360 wifi adapter

11. Bluntsly
    OP

Newcomer Bluntsly Member

Canada
    Thats weird I was always under the impression that even before these price cuts that 360 was the cheaper alternative.

12. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    After reading this thread my conclusion is:
    1) Get 360
    2) Don't bother with the wireless adapter
    3) Just pay for XBL Gold

I know PSN experience is more pleasant than most non-PS3 owners think, but that doesn't exactly mean you'll find as many headset users. 360 headsets are like what, under $10 now. Half the people who play online have one (or at least have it hooked up to the controller so it's visible to other people).

PS3 eats more money from headsets (especially Bluetooth) and video cables mainly. 360 eats more money from wireless adapters, HDDs (if you got Core/Arcade), and online, so if you count "full set" of PS3 and 360 the price difference will be slim.