Hacking help an idiot

senzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've just got a GBA off ebay, works great, but now I'd like to look into the possibility of modding it so I can play games on it
smile.gif

It seems I have arrived late to the 'scene' or what is left of it, because I desperatley want to buy a EZ Flash IV yet I cannot seem to find one on the list the Sellers you reccomend.

Am I correct in thinking all you need to do to play roms is get what this guy is selling here?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EZ-Flash-IV-1GB-Mini...=item3a656e786c

thanks!

PS I live in the UK, if you can suggest a european retailer.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
That IS the right cart but don't bother with that. You don't know how old it is or how used it is it might have a dead battery, and unless you know what you're doing, you don't wanna bother replacing it if you're a noob.

Just get one from one of these sites:

http://realhotstuff.com/ezflash-size-p-294.html

http://www.0shippingzone.com/flash-flashcard-p-516.html

http://www.realhotstuff.hk/EZ-Flash-IV-Flashcard_p_76.html

I have bought form them all many times they are trustworthy. Know that RHS is USA based so you'll get your item faster, that's why it's more expensive. Also, RHS.hk is the same group just based in China for more affordable prices.

You should buy one ASAP because the price has steadily been climbing for a while now. I bought one form USA RHS just two months ago and it was only 24 bucks (not it's 35).

I guess sellers caught onto the fact it's the only good GBA cart left, and since it's out of production it's getting hard to find.

EDIT: AH. You're from UK. Just get it from RHS.uk or 0SZ (my second or third link) and you should get it in about a week.

senzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks guys!

I guess i'll still need a Mini SD card - but I'm still curious as to how it would link up to PC to send data to it? Any reccomended brands of card out there?

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS2GSDM-Mi...cp_ob_e_title_2

It's a deal. You also get an SD card adapter, which is more common place and easier to use than a special Mini SD card reader/writer. If your computer has a built in SD reader you're set, otherwise, get one for like, an extra dollar off amazon.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
so... to not open another thread could i get my answer here too schlupi??

i want to play gba roms in the NDS if possible... i already own a m3i zero, but i have a DSi and a DS Phat... will that card work with NDSphat?

and another question: RHS.UK is based on the uk or usa?

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
MaxNuker said:
so... to not open another thread could i get my answer here too schlupi??

i want to play gba roms in the NDS if possible... i already own a m3i zero, but i have a DSi and a DS Phat... will that card work with NDSphat?

and another question: RHS.UK is based on the uk or usa?

It's RHS.HK as in Hong Kong. No, it's based in Hong Kong.
tongue.gif

If you wanna play GBA roms on the Phat DS the EZ Flash IV is the best option for you, possibly.

There is another cart called "EZ Flash 3 in 1", whcih functions as an expansion pack. it allows you to load games from the M3 Zero. The games will save to the M3 Zero and load form the memory card in it. Note you'll have to use "GbaEXPloader" to load games with the M3 (since the EZ Flash 3in1 is a EZF device, it does not run natively).

I would recommend the IV, though, even though you need a separate memory card it allows you to write games directly to it, and a 2 GB Mini SD can store A LOT of GBA games. Another advantage is you can use it on a GBA as well more easily, after the games are on it it works like a normal GBA cart. The 3in1 only can store ONE GAME AT A TIME when the game is written to the cart (you van load game from cart in DS mode OR save one game to the cart with the M3 Zero).

The 3in1 is cheaper, but is basically a watered down version of the IV.

You guys will need this software for writing games to the EZFIV: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=793

It save patches them to work properly. Also note that certain games like Pokemon or Boktai's Real Time Clock will not work, because the IV does not support RTC. The game will be playable but RTC events will not occur. Also, Classic NES/Famicom Mini games need a patch to work, and some games need to be renamed to 4-8 letters to work. Super Mario Advance 4 for example cannot have more than 8 characters in the name or it will show corrupted save everytime you load.

MaxNuker

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
i see... is there any retailer based in europe?? because ordering from outside europe could give me alfandegary troubles.... and would have to end paying more... i check discoazul... but its kinda "expensive" maybe not that much... but could you give me any more sites? to check?

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I have searched for the OP and have found no legit site to order from in EUR that still sells EZ Flash IV or 3in1. Ordering your USA or Hong Kong is your only option, as to these carts are getting scarce.

You shouldn't worry, the sites I listed mark it as "PC card reader" for Customs, and I have not seen people on the site have issues ordering from HK in EUR. Actually, wasn't it deemed illegal to sell Flashcarts IN THE EUR region, but still ok to import them? I think they passed that law recently but I need somebody to confirm it.

MaxNuker

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
well disco azul looks like a good retailer... well in alfandegary they sometimes pick random packages and search them... i dont know if its illegal or not to import them... if someone could confirm that i'd maybe think... well the deal on disco azul is: 49.95€... its kinda expensive... more then a super card dstwo... should i just get a supercard dstwo? the games i'd like to play is most likely... kingdom hearts for gba ( i know there are some games from kh for gba) pokemon games... i own pokemon emerald and fire red, i'd like to play the other versions of those, i know its the same history xD) games like golden sun and fire emblem would like to be cool to play, never played golden sun on the gba, only the dark dawn in the nds... and i've never really played fire emblem on any system... is there any fire emblem for NDS? if so can you tell me the name?)

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Golden Sun, Golden Sun 2, and Kingdom Hearts will LAG so hard on the DSTWO it won't be playable.

EDIT: Can't find the source but like I said, importing flashcarts isn't illegal, I'm pretty sure.

I WISH SOMEBODY IN EUROPE WOULD CONFIRM IF THIS IS TRUE! LOL. HINT HINT.

MaxNuker

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
aff... anyways im looking for a new NDS flash cart... because the DSi owner is me, but the DSPhat is from my 7 year old brother... and he keeps saying "Emprestame o m3" that means "Lend me the m3" so... most times when he is playing i cant play the games i have on it!!! so... it would be best to have 2 flash carts or not? >.< i want a good card... i checked Acekard 2i and SuperCard DSTwo... i use some homebrew and my homebrew knowledge is currently growing... so what would you say its best for me? i really love that BagPlug that lets you get the boxart for the games on the menu... i think i might get the supercard dstwo... by the way is there any fire emblem for the DS?

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, which is the remake of the original (the one with Marth form Smash. Bros) in on DS. The sequel from SNES too (but it's only in Japanese).

If you're gonna get a DSi cart get the DSTWO. It's better than the AK2i especially if you want GBA support, AK does not have that on the DSi.

The DSTWO can play all the GBA fire emblem games (including the unreleased in USA game with Roy, with full english patch) full speed in it's emulator.
smile.gif

I personally liked the GBA Fire Emblems the best, Followed by the SNES ones.

D

Deleted-236924

Schlupi said:
The DSTWO can play all the GBA fire emblem games (including the unreleased in USA game with Roy, with full english patch) full speed in it's emulator.
smile.gif

They don't play fullspeed.

senzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I haven't actually got round to ordering it but I'll do it tomorrow. I'd be _very_ surprised if customs held up a flashcart! PS not interested in any pokemon games, purely interested in final fantasy 6 and other snes ports!

cheers.

senzer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I got it, it took 8 days to arrive with no special shipping (except insurance) and I have it up and running great!

Thanks for all the help (most of the credit goes to Schlupi!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ hello