Help a dude out

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Dr. Canuck, Jun 17, 2009.

Jun 17, 2009

Help a dude out by Dr. Canuck at 12:11 AM (811 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Dr. Canuck
    OP

Newcomer Dr. Canuck Member

Canada
    Friends, forgive me for my n00bness. I've been doing a lot of reading about slot-2 flashcarts but the more I read the more confused I get.
    I own a DS-lite and an Acekard 2, which I use to play DS games. However, since I never owned a GBA I wish to catch up on a lot o the games I've missed. So I've decided to purchase a slot-2 flashcart. Initially I wanted a Supercard but I hear playing GBA games on those can be slow... Is this true? I have heard nothing but good things about the EZ-Flash 4, except for the batteries dying in them. However, I wanted one that uses micro-SD so would the battery dying no longer be an issue? I was going to purchase the EZ-Flash 4 Lite off of this website right here, since it is Canadian. Has anyone had problems with this website before? Besides a micro-SD card, there's nothing else I'd need to purchase? I've heard things about link cables or something but I'm assuming that is for non-microSD versions.
    Further more, when I got my Acekard I did not realize I had to put software on it to operate it, is this the case with the EZ-Flash?
    I think that's all the questions I had... thank you!!

2. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    The Supercard has slowdowns with (some) GBA games, so your best bet is to get an EZ-Flash IV nowadays. Apart from the microSD card you don't need to purchase anything else -- you can just use your preferred microSD reader to transfer the games.

I don't know exactly how the cart works but seeing that the EZ-Flash IV Lite also has a battery (GBAtemp review of EZ-Flash IV Lite), I suppose it can die aswell. You shouldn't worry about this too much, because you can easily exchange the battery when you get your cart and you'll be safe for some years.

One thing you'll need is the client software for your PC. You can download it from GBAtemp's download section (link). Once downloaded and unzipped there will be a file called "ezfla_up.bin" inside the folder. Just copy this file to the root of your microSD card and you're done. You can then use the client software to transfer games to your microSD card.

3. Dr. Canuck
    OP

Canada
    Thank you!! That's most helpful. I'm going to purchase it tonight! Golden Sun here I come!

4. Dr. Canuck
    OP

Canada
    Hey guys, I got my EZFLash IV Lite Compact today. I put the ezfla_up.bin on my cart. However, when I loaded my cart it was in Chinese (Japanese maybe?) with and everything was Star Wars themed. After messing around with menu, I figured out how to change it to English. After I use the EZ4client to copy a game over and try to play it I get a message saying (with this spacing)
    ""WARNING
    This card
    do not sup
    port GBA g"
    Even though it is a GBA cart?? Anyone have any ideas? Still using the DS...

EDIT: ok I can play games but only if I hit select and use the NOR memory thing. Is this the only way to play GBA games? Also, is the fact that it is only in the bottom screen saying it's in GBA mode? Do I want it to be in GBA mode if I'm only concerned with playing GBA games? I'll use my Acekard for NDS.

5. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    You can change the theme... (I did on mine, horrible theme)....

You need to download a prog. called EZSkinner... just google it... and themes are available for download too.

I have both a Supercard and a EZ Flash IV...

I find that they both work similarly... the build quality on the Supercard looks better... But the EZ Flash IV has a better save system... Both use awful rom flashing/patching software... horrible...