HDD with multiple partitions

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Warlord698, Feb 11, 2013.

Feb 11, 2013

HDD with multiple partitions by Warlord698 at 8:49 AM (1,163 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Warlord698
    OP

Member Warlord698 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    when I was on my old Wii I was using a Hard drive with multiple partitions where the first one was for homebrew and the second was for my backups. Does anybody know if i let the WiiU format the drive, will it format the first partition or the whole drive?

2. clay.r.08

Banned clay.r.08 Banned

United States
    i have formatted a hard drive but it was only one partition

i could test it but i dont feel like messing with it now, but i would like to know the answer

after wii u formatted that one partiton hard drive i hooked it up to computer and it showed up as not initialised unalocated
    [​IMG]

3. PrimeX

Member PrimeX GBAtemp Regular

Romania
    If you format the drive with Wii U you'll get only one partition big as the whole drive and with the Wii U filesystem.
    That is why you cannot see the drive from Windows.

4. GorTesK

Member GorTesK Mad Hatter

Germany
    As far as I know, the WiiU formats the whole drive, not just one partitition. And it uses a special WiiU format that wont be recognized by your computer without the use of special software. If you want to know more about HDD formating and partitioning for WiiU, try the search function. There have been quite a few attempts to that matter so far.

5. clay.r.08

Banned clay.r.08 Banned

United States
    I know why i cant read it with windows, i was only giving inforamtion about what windows said in disk managment

i just find it more strange than normal because at least with other formats like wbfs i have seen it at least show up as raw or something

the only other time i have seen something that sets up a hard drive like the wii u is doing was when i used encryption software to lock hard drives
    you could only see the contents of the hard drive with that software and only with the correct password, and you could make the password just a typed word or also almost anything, you could make the password a file, and the file could be any kind of file, a mp3, jpeg, txt, pretty much anything

anyways i dont know a lot about that kind of stuff but to use that encryption software you had to format the hard drive and after format it windows disk managment would say the drive was not initialised

so might take a lot of smart people to figure out what nintendo is doing their

6. ayrek

Member ayrek GBAtemp Regular

United States
    From what I understand, the reason it is showing up that way in windows is because the Wii U formats the whole drive, and doesn't use a partition table.