OP
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,
I have an annoying problem with my laptop.
It has an SSD as C drive and an HDD for data.
The HDD is always turning on and off instead of being on for at least 20 minutes as the energy management plan is telling me.
The annoying thing is that it causes games to hang for 5 seconds because the disc needs to turn back on once new data is needed. When I'm listening to music the disk turns off and back on every 5 - 10 seconds.
Even the laptop is less than 2 weeks old the disk already does harsh cracking noises sometimes.

Is there a way to solve this issue?

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your disk is making noises, something is seriously wrong with the disk and I would just replace it immediately.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What drive is it? it might be parking it's head (uneffected by any power management settings), based on inactivity.

WD green (and the 5400rpm blue now they have been rebadged) park thier heads after a rediculous short 8 seconds because they are "low power" drives. Leave them for 8 seconds and the headparks, access something and it unparks, which causes a slight delay and you can sometimes hear it (depending how loud the rest of the pc is). WD have a command line tool that can let you overide and set it to something resonable. There may be a similar issue for other brands.

Last edited by Armadillo,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if there is not a tool there is the option to have a script do a read or write every however long, might have to make it larger if it just caches the thing instead, to keep it alive/active for just this sort of purpose.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You're sure this setting is set correctly in power management right? (just getting the basics out of the way) you mentioned 20+ minutes, but try putting it to never.
2016-08-04 21_05_34-Power Options.png

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Appears to be a common issue.

https://community.wd.com/t/new-firmware-required-wd-blue-1tb-wd10jpvx/67634

Aggressively spins up & down and/or parks it's head.

Last post is relavent to you

You can adjust the headparking if necessary with wdidle3 (western digital's tool) and if needed possibly adjust the aggressive apm with apmtimer.

The usual caution should be used (make sure data is backed up etc) before you start messing around with it.

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
That drive is ass and super expensive why would you buy that?
It was already inside of it. Having an SSD and HDD was an important criteria to me

Appears to be a common issue.

https://community.wd.com/t/new-firmware-required-wd-blue-1tb-wd10jpvx/67634

Aggressively spins up & down and/or parks it's head.

Last post is relavent to you

You can adjust the headparking if necessary with wdidle3 (western digital's tool) and if needed possibly adjust the aggressive apm with apmtimer.

The usual caution should be used (make sure data is backed up etc) before you start messing around with it.

wdidle3 cannot be launched on Win10 it seems

CosmoCortney

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
It has to run from a bootable usb stick, can't run from within windows. You can use rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/ to create a bootable usb stick with freedos on it.
I have noticed that by checking youtube. burnt it on a disc, set the boot priority 1 to the dvd drive but i think my machine couldn't execute it and windows launched instead.
I sadly don't have a USB stick or external HDD I could format around. Maybe someone else of my family does

Last edited by CosmoCortney,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head