Hacking HDD docking station

Darkorical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Hard Drive Docking station by Ultra Found here (Image at bottom) and I was wondering about using it with multiple Hard drives instead of a single USB hard drive

I soft modded my Wii added the homebrew channel and USB Loader GX everything loads up just fine but USB Loader GX says waiting on USB hard drive 28 seconds and then counts down from there, until it shows an image asking if I have it plugged in properly and finally goes away completely.

Ive attempted to use a hard drive formatted with wbfs and a regular FAT 32 drive and received the same issues.

Im about to give WiiFlow a shot but if anyone can offer any input it would be appreciated.

ULT40326-Main01-jl.jpg

Darkorical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes Im plugging it into the one that would be on the bottom if it was laying down flat the usb (on the same side as power and AV plugs not the sensor bar)

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Darkorical said:
yes Im plugging it into the one that would be on the bottom if it was laying down flat the usb (on the same side as power and AV plugs not the sensor bar)
Have you tried different jumper settings on the hdd (if its IDE) because the dock has other card readers it might be registering 1 of those 1st try different cards and usb sticks to see if any work
you can also try turning the power to the drive on at the same time as you enter UsbloaderGx this also some times help

Darkorical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cobleman said:
Have you tried different jumper settings on the hdd (if its IDE) because the dock has other card readers it might be registering 1 of those 1st try different cards and usb sticks to see if any work
its sata

QUOTE(cobleman @ Jul 9 2010, 09:13 PM) you can also try turning the power to the drive on at the same time as you enter UsbloaderGx this also some times help

tried that just now no luck

on another note when it is waiting on my usb hard drive it has a 30 second counter and every time it would count down it flips to a green bar across the bottom momentarly

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you starting it with the drive already in ?Have you tried hot pluging it
Just had a proper look, is this only usb powered if so does it have a dual usb plug 1 for data and the other for power?

Darkorical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive tried every combo of powering it on and pluggin it in with the wii in different states that I can come up with.

and it plugs into the wall for power

is it possible Im missing an IOS or something that allows it to read from the usb port ... I think I read a theread on here with something to that effect .. however when I first tried usbloader gx it told me it needed certain IOSs and I got them added and it seems to be loading ok now .. with the exception of not finding hte hard drive

Toughschmidt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a hard drive dock and it works just fine, all the way up to 2 TB. However, it's just a HD dock (Xion), doesn't have those flash card ports or additional USB's in the front. I get the feeling that those might be messing up how the Wii is able to work with it.

So, yes, I can verify HD docks do work, but maybe not with those additional ports.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Toughschmidt said:
I use a hard drive dock and it works just fine, all the way up to 2 TB. However, it's just a HD dock (Xion), doesn't have those flash card ports or additional USB's in the front. I get the feeling that those might be messing up how the Wii is able to work with it.

So, yes, I can verify HD docks do work, but maybe not with those additional ports.

Yes, the aditional ports/slots are the problem.
The common way to connect multiple devices is a usb hub.
Problem is cios does not support hubs.

Judging from the Picture this thing is a 4port hub with a card reader and a sata controler hardwired to two of them.
Such setups are quite common and not a problem normaly since hub support is a mandantory feature of usb hardware and software.
Only other way would be to build it with one cable for each port (four + power). But then almost nobody would buy it.

tl dr: multiple ports -> usb hub -> no go

Darkorical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright I previously tried using a 4gb usb flash drive with WBFS and it said that it had an error when formatting so I didn't even try to use it in the wii but on a whim this morning I gave it a shot and low and behold the wi was able to format it with no issues, and it worked just fine. So it must be a hardware issue with either my docking station or the HDD I am trying to use.

Flaya

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just got myself a docking station for fitting 2 drives, and connected it to my Wii. I have all my Wii games on one drive and my GameCube games on the other.

My issue is that any given loader finds all GameCube games, but not all Wii games.

May be a folder structure issue as I basically just copied everything but the games from one drive to the other, then transferred the games to each drive.

Edit: Solved!

Last edited by Flaya,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too