Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So I have this old PC my dad wants me to fix up. I have no idea on the specs, there is no model number or anything that tells me either.

Anyways, about a week or 2 ago it was working...ok. I was just screwing around with it, replaced the old DVD drive in it with a SATA instead of an IDE, put a different HDD with the intent of hopefully getting Windows 7 on it, and 2 GB of RAM as well. All was fine and everything boot up back then (I have yet to put Windows 7 on it, that was my plan today until the problem started).

Well, this was the PC I plugged that IDE HDD with a short into, which those who replied know it stopped the PC from booting. After unplugging that HDD from the PC I found it to boot fine again, and figured all was ok. Well, now it's doing that same thing with the error beep and after some research I found it could be a multitude of problems. I already checked the RAM, the RAM is good. I checked the CPU for bent pins and such and that's all good. I went and removed everything except for the CPU and RAM and attempted to boot it up and still nothing. So now I think it's a PSU issue, but I'm not 100% sure. I have spare PSUs around somewhere and will replace it tomorrow, however I just wanted your guy's opinion before I do so. Is it the PSU? Or is it something with the Motherboard?

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beep errors vary by brands. Look all over your motherboard for a brand name, it'll be on it somewhere. You may have to take it out and look at it's other side to find it. Look up the brand name's beep error codes to tell you 100% exactly what it means.

Click This

Surgite!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Give me a brand name and model number/name, the number of beeps(and length of beep, if applicable), and I can check what kind of error code it is. Don't go replacing shit when you don't know what's broken. ;)
If it's an off brand though, you're going to have to look at the motherboard. That's a pain in the ass.
It's likely the hard drive fried your motherboard though. If the PSU was dead, it'd either not turn on at all or be on fire. :)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I think you would be correct Click This. The motherboard is an HP 0968h and it have a 5 second beep code. If I remember correctly, that means something is wrong with the DIMM, and if nothing is fault than it's the motherboard. So I believe it's the motherboard. Thanks for the help, guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma. +1