Having trouble compiling a SM64 port

Bovrillor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to build this port of SM64 (this fork is modified to enable good framerates on original 2DS/3DS models)

edit: GBAtemp won't let me link it, but it's theRetroGamer02 Enhancement: Speed boost (#70) build of MKST/SM64 Port

I'm using the MINGW64 compilation method (only one I have access to) and have followed the step-by-step guide through several times. I always run into problems in the last 2 stages (making the 3DSX and CIA files)

Building the 3DSX always fails with the error seen below in the screenshot (I don't know enough to understand the problem here)

Building the CIA succeeds but the resulting file, when installed, just crashes with an Exception Error on the 2DS hardware. I don't know if this is because the 3DSX is a prerequisite for the CIA to build properly, or if this is a separate issue.

I've verified my SM64 data is good, I really don't know where I'm tripping up. The discord for the relevant github is dead. Is there anyone around here that knows their way around this kind of thing?

sigh.png

Reactions: peteruk

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the cia is built from the elf, so it doesn't rely on the 3dsx. usually, when I get an error like that, something is not the right version, in this case, gcc. this is what I'm using on linux:

1673118969454.png

Post automatically merged:

I tried that patch:

1673132363544.png

no problems creating the cia. would you like me to send it to you? btw, the default banner and icon are among the worst I've ever seen. this is untested.

Last edited by godreborn,

Bovrillor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe the cia is built from the elf, so it doesn't rely on the 3dsx. usually, when I get an error like that, something is not the right version, in this case, gcc. this is what I'm using on linux:

View attachment 346420

I tried that patch:

View attachment 346459

no problems creating the cia. would you like me to send it to you? btw, the default banner and icon are among the worst I've ever seen. this is untested.

Yeah the banner and icon are terrible lol (I'm able to output a broken CIA). I don't have linux access and I've still not been able to fix it, so if you are able to hit me up with your CIA output I would be very grateful indeed sir!

Oh so he needs to use

pacman -Ss libaudiofile-dev
and then
pacman -S (whatever version it displayed before)

As far as I can tell, that library is already installed?

I've made no progress anyhow, yet other people have told me they were able to build using the exact same instructions. It's driving me crazy >.<

1673185267413.png

Last edited by Bovrillor,

Bovrillor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could you send me a more complete log? Maybe I can figure out what's going on.

I'm new to compiling - what's the easiest way to get a log out of msys?

I'm now able to post links so I can clarify which fork I'm trying to get working:
https://github.com/mkst/sm64-port

Someone else helped me build it (I believe using Docker) and confirmed they were able to run the CIA on their o3DS. I can install it on my o2DS but it won't boot, goes directly to an exception error every time. I find this very odd, I was going to document the issue on GitHub until you appeared here (I recognise the name!). Being new to the scene I don't really who to report issues to, or what info to give them!

It might be worth noting that the previous build (without o3DS optimisation) works fine on my o2DS (of course it's not a fun way to play though) so my issue seems specific to the optimised version.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just built both the 3dsx and cia with no issues. The instructions are pretty short, so I don't know how you're missing anything.

echo $PATH

Is msys64/usr/bin and msys64/mingw64/bin in your path? Are they near the front? And I assume /msys64/opt/devkitpro/tools/bin is in your path as well?

There is no output at all for me when trying to list libaudiofile-dev, so that's a dead-end. Did you add the keyserver and the devkitpro keyring?

I mean, other than makerom, all dependencies should have been installed with

pacman -S 3ds-dev git make python3 mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc unzip --noconfirm

Other than getting msys2 to play nice with your PATH, I find the instructions quite foolproof.

For permanent setting of your path without messing with your windows environment, edit

msys64\home\<username>\.bashrc

At the bottom add:

export PATH=/X/msys64/opt/devkitpro/tools/bin:/mingw64/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH
(my install is on my X drive, so replace X with C in your case)

Last edited by urherenow,

RetroGamer02

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm new to compiling - what's the easiest way to get a log out of msys?

I'm now able to post links so I can clarify which fork I'm trying to get working:
https://github.com/mkst/sm64-port

Someone else helped me build it (I believe using Docker) and confirmed they were able to run the CIA on their o3DS. I can install it on my o2DS but it won't boot, goes directly to an exception error every time. I find this very odd, I was going to document the issue on GitHub until you appeared here (I recognise the name!). Being new to the scene I don't really who to report issues to, or what info to give them!

It might be worth noting that the previous build (without o3DS optimisation) works fine on my o2DS (of course it's not a fun way to play though) so my issue seems specific to the optimised version.
Maybe try "make VERSION=us cia > log.txt" and wait for it to finish.
It should put the console output into the file when its done.

Edit: Could you get a pic of the error on 2ds as well please.

Last edited by RetroGamer02,

Bovrillor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm telling you, something else is wrong, because you got an exception error for a build that's been verified.

You're right of course - we're looking into possible causes now.

I still needed to be sure my own builds were 'good' though, otherwise I wouldn't be much use for testing new ones :)

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :sad::sad::sad: And a part of my family passed also. :sad::sad::sad: Sending my good suit to the...