Have 2 Switches - update question

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ssdesigner, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ssdesigner
    OP

ssdesigner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2003
    Hong Kong
    So I purchased a backup Switch for future homebrewing. It's not going to get played until then. Assuming that there will be no exploit for a year or two, would you update the firmware from 1.0 to 2.2.0, or leave it?

Last edited by ssdesigner, Apr 20, 2017
  2. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    what firmware is the other on ? id keep one as 2.0 as it has the web based exploit.

3. ssdesigner
    OP

ssdesigner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2003
    Hong Kong

I was planning to keep this one current so that I'm not limited in any way or worrying about playing games that force updates first.

4. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    thats sounds like a good plan especially for potential online use

5. ssdesigner
    OP

ssdesigner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Thanks, King.

I'm new to this so I'm not sure if keeping it at 1.0 even matters. I feel like when things are announced it will work with the OS version at that very moment, but I thought I'd ask the experts here first.

6. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    That is highly unlikely. Most of the time the first exploits for a system are for older versions, it's not until later in the system's life that "current" exploits start coming out. Look at the PS4, the first and only exploit for the longest time only worked on 1.76.

7. ssdesigner
    OP

ssdesigner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Got it.

Well, then what would be the chances that a web access would be added to an exploit to allow 1.0 users (probably way more of those out there since that is what the Switch will ship with for quite a while) to gain internet access?

8. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    No idea. Could happen, or maybe someone will find a way to force an upgrade to 2.0.0 without going all the way to the newest, or maybe someone will find an exploit on the newest firmware. Literally nobody knows, or can know, until it happens.