Has it been documented how Mario Galaxy makes the pointer mechanic work?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by cal64, Mar 6, 2017.

1. cal64
    OP

cal64 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    Belgium
    I always thought it was done via raycasting, but seeing how the CPU's ability to read/write to the EFB is essential to making this feature work made me reconsider.
    I couldn't find much details online. Any help?

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Do you mean how does the remote track the pointer in general? I don't think SMG uses any tricks. It's all in the controller library.

The remote has an infrared camera in it that picks up the flashes from the IR emitters on the sensor bar and triangulates the position and distance from the orientation and size of the light flashes.

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I think he means mapping the 2D position read from the WiiMote (that is x, y in the screen) to the 3D position inside the 3D world (that is x, y, z, with the projected ray hitting a specific 3D world polygon).

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    That would involve assigning a depth value to the targeting reticle and drawing an imaginary line from the center of the view through it. The first node in the scene graph that line hits is the target.

5. cal64
    OP

cal64 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    Belgium
    Oh my! Thanks for all the answers!
    This was my first guess too, but such a system wouldn't require CPU access to the EFB, would it?
    My second guess was then color picking, but does anyone know for sure?