Has anyone tried this?

Flet241

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well what happens if you install a new channel on a old version of the wii? of course with a .WAD so basicly: if i were to install the wii u transfer channel to a wii with the version 3.1 or something what would happen?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well what happens if you install a new channel on a old version of the wii? of course with a .WAD so basicly: if i were to install the wii u transfer channel to a wii with the version 3.1 or something what would happen?
U still need to update the wii to do the transfer

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the System Menu in the Wii U's vWii mode is basically an altered System Menu 4.3 with some fixes and patches, even if you COULD use the Transfer Tool on a lower System Menu, it wouldn't mean being able to put 3.1 or whatever into vWii. The version is hard baked into the console and cannot be changed, nor is there really any reason to.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he means installing a newer version on top of an older one. I don't know why he mentioned the wii u transfer channel though. I'm not sure what might happen. Don't know if the wii has an equivalent, but the wiiu has a file called versions.bin, which contains the installed version's version in hex format that when converted to decimal shows you the actual app version. It's only 2 bytes for everything including the os itself, which I found. You can actually downgrade something, but I'm not sure about upgrading through hex editing. I don't know if it's safe beyond games. If the wii has something similar, I don't know what might happen, though I wouldn't advise it.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

The Nintendo Faq says cleary:

Ensure that your Wii has the most recent system update.

https://en-americas-support.nintend...how-to-transfer-content-from-a-wii-to-a-wii-u

So....I would not try it....
......but maybe because I am a Chicken...🤣

If you still want to try it:

- Please make a Wii NAND Backup / please check you have a working Priiloader / BootMii installed before.
- Try to install the Wii U Transfer Channel .wad File.
There is an Channel WAD File with Version Number (0) - maybe that would be the best Choice for your Wii.

- If the Wii should "brick" apart,please use your NAND Backup to restore your Wii.😉

Thank you and
Good Luck.😊

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As far as I know, the System Menu version isn't important¹ for launching titles – the correct IOS must be present.
https://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS62

The transfer tool should do a check before starting (and getting it the normal way would required starting the shop which also checked for updates if I remember correctly). A tool requiring online connection and interaction with the servers isn't the best example for such a test. I guess as long as the correct IOS is present, a title should start on lower versions of the System Menu (Wii doesn't have a full operating system running in the background all the time).

I want to emphasize this:
If you still want to try it:

- Please make a Wii NAND Backup / please check you have a working Priiloader / BootMii installed before.
- Try to install the Wii U Transfer Channel .wad File.
There is an Channel WAD File with Version Number (0) - maybe that would be the best Choice for your Wii.

- If the Wii should "brick" apart,please use your NAND Backup to restore your Wii.
and even add my opinion, that strange experiments of all kinds should only be done on a Wii with BootMii in boot2 while having a known good backup at hand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER