Has anyone tried this CPU fan?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Ethevion, Apr 8, 2013.

Apr 8, 2013
  1. Ethevion
    OP

Member Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Canada
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118075
    Workers at my local computer shop say it's whisper quiet, but for some reason I have a hard time believing it. It's just so big it looks like it'll be noisy. I want to buy this fan because it'll look sick on my case not for any major cooling. :D

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Well, bigger fan can move the same amount of air by spinning slower, hence it is possible to become quieter. Whether you will find it quite or not is up to your hearing.

That said, do not overclock your CPU with that heatsink. That heatsink's cooling performance is not for overclocking.

3. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Go for it. I have about 3 large fans that came with my CoolerMaster case. It's incredibly quiet.
    The fans are set to run at low performance unless the computer's temperatures are rather high.

So, the only time you can hear them is if I've been running intensive games/programs for an hour or longer.
    Remember, that's 3 large fans. Chances are that a single large fan will be hardly audible.

4. hisagishi

Member hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    At that price just grab a 212 EVO and a noctua fan... Or a megahalems if you want absolute silence (fanless) Though the best option for silence and overclocking would be the NH-D14. A bit pricy though.

5. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    The larger the fan, the quieter it is. That fan is probably quiet as I have 2 120mm fans on my CPU cooler and even that is pretty quiet.

I agree on the NH-D14, I have a NH-D12 and it's great. However, he wants that cooler for looks, not for overclocking, and I don't think the NH-D14 quite fits the bill :P

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I would not recommend it as the hs uses priority fans which you can only purchase from zalman rather then using whatever fan you want (worrying about cfm, rpm, dba, color, led's, uv, ect...)
    there are much nicer looking hsf's out there imo at least

7. hisagishi

United States
    How quiet a fan is depends on the blade design and the rpms plus the size, a 200mm fan running at 1500 rpms is pretty quiet, 120 @ 1500 rpms = getting a little annoying, and at 80mm and lower, holy fuck its screaming at me.

overall fan design comes into play with this aswell, for instance a delta fan (assuming same rpms for each fan) will tear your ear drums out, whilst a gentle typhoon is annoying its more of the wooshing sound of air rather than ear splitting screaming.

8. Ethevion
    OP

Canada
    I don't plan to over clock, I just want it because it looks cool and I have the Zalman Z11 case to match.

I usually play games for less than an hour, I usually work on GameMaker and Photoshop. My temps are usually at 60 when I do game though, which isn't all that high so I guess it'll be okay :)
    Absolute silence isn't necessary, just quiet is good for me. I don't plan to overclock at all.
    I have a decent gaming rig right now. I don't plan on super performance so no overclocking and definitely don't need that cooler. Maybe for my next build I'll go for a higher end PC, but for now I'm happy with what I've got. :)
    This one matches my case though. Could you name some that are nicer please, I'd love to take a look at others. Just make sure they have red LEDs :D
    That's news to me. Thanks for the info.

I probably should have mentioned I don't plan to overclock :P

9. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I have this fan on my rig. I have had it a couple of years now and never had an issue. It isn't whisper quiet at high speed but it does such a good job of cooling it never really needs to be set that high, I keep it at around 30% speed which is very quiet and keeps my cpu at room temperature. Its sexy as fuck fan too in my opinion, I would recommend it to anyone, just make sure your case will fit it.

Rydian and nukeboy95 like this.
  10. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    screw fans

liquid nitrogen FTW

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  12. Ethevion
    OP

Canada
    That's my favorite part! My case is the Z11 by Zalman, I just need to make sure my RAM wont be in the way, they're G.Skill Ripjaws.

Hopefully the parts wont shatter after using it :P

It looks smexy
    [​IMG]
    And the inside is pretty visible
    [​IMG]

13. hisagishi

United States
    I thought if you put a red fan in there it will get hotter??

14. Ethevion
    OP

Canada
    It does get hotter. Just look at how much sexier it gets. :P

p1ngpong likes this.
  15. KingBlank

Member KingBlank King of Nothing

New Zealand
    I think I have a 212 EVO, bought it a few months back, the loudest things in my computer are the hard drives, unless I'm playing intensive games, then its my GPU.

I have a EVGA 670 4gb btw.

16. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    u want a good, fairly cheap cooler but don't want the hassle of water cooling? try the corsair hydro h100 prob the best cooler i've ever tried and the results outstanding my cpu used to go near 55 deg C with my old cooler with this it never goes above 30 deg c even maxed on on high settings in games.

i'm sure you can just walk into any computer store and buy that :creep:

i think MB busted that :P

17. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I had the Zalman CNPS10X on my previous PC (similar cooler, but bulkier and block-shaped) and it was fairly quiet. Cooling was okay, IIRC I only noticed a 5C difference from my stock cooler though.
    The H100 is liquid cooled, but since it's a sealed system it doesn't need any maintenance. Corsair's hydro coolers are pretty nice for their price though. My brother's H70 keeps his i7 Extreme 980X (overclocked to 4.2GHz) under 50C, even under load.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  18. Ethevion
    OP

Canada
    Damn, nice GPU

I don't want or even really need a CPU cooler for what I do, I just want this because it looks cool.

30 deg c on max? What do you idle at? I heard too cold isn't a good thing for computers.

As long as it's decently quiet.

19. KingBlank

Member KingBlank King of Nothing

New Zealand
    If you have spent this long debating whether or not you will get it, then you probably should just get it.
    Seems to me like the 212EVO is a better deal, but it does not look as cool :)

Sagat likes this.
  20. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    right now it's idle at 13 deg C and it's very quiet.
    best cooler EVA