What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if there is a way to hardmod a DS phat to get it to have the 4 DS lite brightness settings? I know I can just get a lite but I like doing these electronic stuff so I was wondering if anyone knows anything like a chip or something that is an easy mod to solder on and make work. I remember there was a chip for the old GBA SP that gave it a bunch of brightness settings. Wondering if I can do something similar with my DS phat. Thanks for the help.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do not know of any such mods, the only reason some of the newer old style DS models could gain it via flashme was because they used the same chips as the DSlite (I have no idea if you could simply swap a chip out from a DSlite but I would bet against it).

The only way I can see to do this would be to replace the existing LEDs with some ultrabright ones and by some method either drop their brightness or kill a side or two with a physical switch.

crescentsaber

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lunarist.com
XP
Country
Get 4 shades of Window Tint and stack them over each other
rolleyes.gif

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
I do not know of any such mods, the only reason some of the newer old style DS models could gain it via flashme was because they used the same chips as the DSlite (I have no idea if you could simply swap a chip out from a DSlite but I would bet against it).

The only way I can see to do this would be to replace the existing LEDs with some ultrabright ones and by some method either drop their brightness or kill a side or two with a physical switch.
would that work? Can I buy a DS lite screen from Dealextreme and install it in my phat or does that not work because the backlight is a separate component than the screen?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3161
that's the screen i am talking about, would buying that and a touch screen replacement work? If I bought all DS lite model screens could i install them in my DS phat to make it work and have 4 brightness settings? I would obviously have to hardmod the plastic case to make it fit but I am just wondering if it would work theoretically.

QUOTE(crescentsaber @ Apr 28 2009, 08:20 AM) Get 4 shades of Window Tint and stack them over each other
rolleyes.gif
lol

PS: Does anyone have any real technical professional knowledge of how the lighting is controlled in the DS consoles like with what kind of chip? Like a if it's a resistor or special transistor switch or anything generic of the sort that i could just buy at a local electronics hobby shop and solder into my DS. that's more of what i had in mind, if there was just a simple transistor that controlled the lighting, i could buy one and solder it to make the lighting work.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I am aware the chip is in the actual DS motherboard.
Tech info:
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm
The above link is good for pinouts of the cables and software/BIOS/similar info.
If you are wondering about the "spinup" backlight from flashme it was pulse width modulation as I recall which I would not like to try for a real game.

Back on topic I was thinking more along the lines of making an afterburner (backlight kit for the original GBA) but for the DS, while you could probably do something with digital electronics (multiple presses tied to the cable and then connected to logic and ultimately the LEDs) I would not like to try it when a mechanical switch would do the job just as well.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
As far as I am aware the chip is in the actual DS motherboard.
Tech info:
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm
The above link is good for pinouts of the cables and software/BIOS/similar info.
If you are wondering about the "spinup" backlight from flashme it was pulse width modulation as I recall which I would not like to try for a real game.

Back on topic I was thinking more along the lines of making an afterburner (backlight kit for the original GBA) but for the DS, while you could probably do something with digital electronics (multiple presses tied to the cable and then connected to logic and ultimately the LEDs) I would not like to try it when a mechanical switch would do the job just as well.
So what exactly do you recommend me do? I can't just replace the NDS Phat screens with lite screens can I? I need that chip in the motherboard for it to even have those settings so I have no idea what will work and what won't. Any ideas?

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i really wanna bump this just in case anyone knows anything new recently because I still want help in doing this. It would be a fun weekend project.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative