Hard Bricked Pikachu 3DS XL ... What can I replace ...?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Darkuni, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Darkuni
    OP

Darkuni Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2006
    United States
    Tragic tale. Bricked my kid's beloved Pikachu 3DS XL. I've tried everything possible to restore it. I killed it and killed it well. Shoulda woulda coulda, etc.

So now, I want to restore it. I'm assuming if I replace the ENTIRE motherboard, I should be good.

My questions are:

1) Is there a PORTION of the motherboard I can replace? Or will I have to replace the whole thing?

2) I'm assuming the Pikachu 3DS XL has the same internal parts and configuration as a standard 3DS XL; doesn't anyone know differently before I go look for a board?

Thank you all.

2. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    2. The inside of your 3DSXL will look exactly like any other 3DSXL.

How did you brick it?

osaka35 likes this.
  3. Virdoo

Virdoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    You can buy replacement motherboards on aliexpress for around $50

osaka35 likes this.
  4. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Just get an "XL" and not a "new XL" motherboard and it should work fine.

5. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
  6. Darkuni
    OP

Darkuni Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2006
    United States
    Thank you guys for the super quick and helpful replies. Time to make the kid happy.

x65943 likes this.
  7. Darkuni
    OP

Darkuni Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2006
    United States
    I figured I'd let everyone know how it went.

I tried to get a cheap deal on a board from some kid whose brother tore the top of the 3DS off and he was selling the bottom half as is. I should have looked at the picture and not the description - because it was a DSi, not a 3DS. I was refunded without issue, but it put my project behind.

I ordered a replacement board from these folks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281204997984

While they offered to do the board install, I opted to take a shot at it, thanks to @Viri's iFixIt post above.

The whole process took about 40 minutes. There was one REAL PAIN IN THE ASS ribbon to hook back up (Step 19) that I was finally able to pull off with a pair of tweezers (don't think you can get by without tweezers ... have 'em handy).

After reassembly and testing, the lower screen video ribbon (step 18) wasn't connected properly so I had no screen (although the digitizer was working fine). I had to open'er up a second time and figure out which ribbon wasn't connected right (the demo doesn't tell you what every ribbon is for and Google wasn't helping much). Plus, the ribbon looked installed just fine. Took a bit to find it, but once I did, the unit powered up perfectly.

The board was on 4.x FW (perrrrrfect). I tested all the functionality and it passed.

The only part that bothers me is that the analog disc is a bit ... tight feeling. I'm guessing maybe I tightened the back of the controller down too tight. I'm guessing that will loosen up with time. I'd hate to disassemble it again.

Anyhoo, I have a fully working Pikachu 3DS XL again. My son will lose his mind. :)

Thanks again everyone.

Duckling, Polarise and owek1 like this.