Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Cluster, Jan 7, 2017.

1. pcm720

pcm720 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2012
    Russia
    It's possible, and madmonkey's release of RetroArch had shortcuts for NES, SNES and MegaDrive cores.
    You can write bash script that launches RetroArch with specific core and ROM file, and then just replace kachikachi (Exec=…) path in the .desktop file.
    It's very easy to do, but considering that Hakchi2 currently overwrites .desktop file, it's too much of a hassle. That's why I went with RetroArch GUI.

So, if someone is still interested in RetroArch, I've made a new pack (and removed the previous one from my Google Drive). Now the game ID is a little more meaningful (CLV-H-RARCH), and all RetroArch files are in /games/[Game ID]/libretro instead of /games/[Game ID]/etc/libretro.
    Also I've added .desktop_temp file in the "game" folder and few lines to the init script that remove automatically generated .desktop file and replace it with the temp one. This is basically a quick hack meant to bypass Hakchi2's .desktop generation.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByJabzdhjqvQdC1aZ19NTWgzY1k
    You can download other cores directly from LibRetro's BuildBot
    How to use this:
    1. Extract archive contents to Hakchi2 folder, agree to replace init file
    2. Copy additional cores to games/CLV-H-RARCH/libretro/core (not necessary)
    3. Copy ROMs to games/CLV-H-RARCH/libretro/roms
    4. Open Hakchi2, enable RetroArch
    5. If you need folders, clone and build Hakchi2 from GitHub, then make sure to enable "Settings -> "Pages/folders structure" -> "Custom - show Folders Manager every time"
    6. Synchronize. Make sure to move RetroArch to the root folder if you enabled custom folders in the previous step.
    7. That's it.

As always, thanks to madmonkey for the RetroArch binary and Cluster for a very convenient Hakchi2.

Last edited by pcm720, Feb 11, 2017
  2. nesito

nesito GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    I think you can read my mind ;)

Thanks!

3. Hellequin

Hellequin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2009
    France
    Something that could be seamlessly integrated to the nes mini interface would be great (otherwise, it would feel like a retropie, then what is the point*?). Retroarch invisible, and a few select roms that would launch it automatically to complete the failings of the Nes Classic emulator. But I guess there would be limitations regarding saves (not generated when we push the reset button, or not usable by retroarch)?

*The point is simplicity, and beauty. Like a Apple vs Microsoft thing.

Sly_NES, Grandin and NeoRame like this.
  4. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    I'll have to give this version a try

5. kingj

kingj GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    has anyone load bit of games on retroarch yet? Someone said on reddit 67 MB was the max =/

For dummies how would I do this if I already got retroarch from your old verison boss? I put the Archcive/non zip Retroarch(rarch) into hakchi? Or do I extra it and replace all

Last edited by kingj, Feb 9, 2017
  6. Tootyuk

Tootyuk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    This was exactly my thoughts tbh mate, its a great technical feat but I think it ruins mini's charm

Sly_NES, fayce54 and NeoRame like this.
  7. Reyn_the_Insane

Reyn_the_Insane Mega Man Fanatic

Feb 1, 2017
    United States
    OVAH DEAH!
    @pcm720
    Is there any way I can get the games pixel perfect? I've tried all the aspect settings I could find.

8. spinal_cord

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    theres an aspect setting in settings->video... theres a 1:1 option there.

9. Tootyuk

Tootyuk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    I'll still look to get it working as I say from a technical aspect its awesome.

fayce54 likes this.
  10. pcm720

pcm720 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2012
    Russia
    Sorry, I haven't touched RetroArch settings on NES Mini beyond directories, so I can't help you there.

11. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    @Cluster would it be possible to add prefered language patches idea for ip patches, like if you select dutch that it also looks in the sub-map dutch for ips patches the same way as it does for normal ips patches? just a silly adea of mine (i don't understand coding to find how the gui is setup nor could i understand where the system looks for ips patches... i can however help earch and upload packs of such ips patches (though it will take time) to a server, and can help setting the names right like with the CRC32 checksum)

12. Reyn_the_Insane

Feb 1, 2017
    United States
    OVAH DEAH!
    Yeah I tried that. It just makes the screen 1:1 but with blur

13. spinal_cord

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Further down on that screen there's an option for removing the blur, I can't remember what it is off the top of my head, something like filter or bilinear filter, it's second from the bottom I think.

14. Reyn_the_Insane

Feb 1, 2017
    United States
    OVAH DEAH!
    YES! NOW I REMEMBER! THANK YOU I LOVE YOU!

15. darkxero

darkxero Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks!!!, so much work to do, so many endless possibilities....

16. spinal_cord

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    hmmmmm, LED won't go off.

17. kingj

kingj GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    Uh oh, you trying update to the new verison PCM released? I was just about to Sync and stuff, just extracted and even deleted the old retroarch folder, wonder if I should told off from Syncing new verison right now?

18. nesito

nesito GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    I made a video about easy way by pcm: It's in Spanish I tried to make CC subtitles to can translate with google.
    (It's processing the video in a minutes well be ready)

Also I render a video to check the emulation and to disable the blur filter and put aspect ratio 4:3

Please, enjoy!

Rgs.

19. kingj

kingj GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    Did you put his latest verison he posted above on this page ? You had no problems sync'ing it? cause someone above says there LED won't turn off so Im scared try switching / sync it. and i already deleted old retroarch folder and put new one PCM posted above

20. Reyn_the_Insane

Feb 1, 2017
    United States
    OVAH DEAH!
    The light not turning off might have to do with the amount of games he put on. The larger the amount, the longer the light stays on. It only lasted 10 seconds for me.