Hacking Hacking the WiiU: A Simple Progress Guide

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot wait till we are able to run Wii U backups, hopefully it will be within a year or two

Don't count on it, that would require an IOSU exploit, and no one in the scene is willing/able to make one. The exploit that comes out will be HOMBREW ONLY, the permissions given by exploiting the kernel are not elevated enough to clear signature checking by the Starbuck

Reactions: the_randomizer

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Don't count on it, that would require an IOSU exploit, and no one in the scene is willing/able to make one. The exploit that comes out will be HOMBREW ONLY, the permissions given by exploiting the kernel are not elevated enough to clear signature checking by the Starbuck

So the Wii U will never be able to play backups?

Or do you simply mean no one in the community will make one any time soon

Reactions: Margen67

optikalsaint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is the part of the scene that confuses me to no end. We basically hear that those in the scene only want a homebrew solution and don't support piracy, however they completely support emulators as homebrew and in essence pirating ROMs. The argument is always made that they still aren't selling the games anymore and they're old so it is a'okay and everyone chooses to completely ignore the fact that the Virtual Console games make Nintendo and other publishers a fair amount of money. If you enable emulators and homebrew you are still enabling piracy on the system and hurting the developer ecosystem as a whole. At the end of the day any homebrew solution will lead to piracy one way or another so why is there such a need to quantify which form of piracy is "acceptable?"

If you're already going to take money out of Nintendo's and other developers pockets do you really think they are going to sit around and say "Welp, it's just old ROMs so it's okay I guess." I would assume their response would be the same as it would be if you enabled piracy for recently released games. It is all still lost revenue to them. They do not see this illogical gray area the community has accepted as the norm.

Honestly at this point so late in the game, especially with the recent release of the new Raspberry Pi 2, the only real reason there would be to hack the Wii U would be to create some kind of USB HDD backup and loading system. Putting this much effort into finding an exploit to hack a pretty closed eco-system just for the sole purpose of running a few emulators and other homebrew demos when you could spend $35 and get a new Raspberry Pi 2 which has a quad-core 900MHz ARM processor and 1GB RAM just seems a little silly at this point if you never intend for it to be used to rip and play games.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the part of the scene that confuses me to no end. We basically hear that those in the scene only want a homebrew solution and don't support piracy, however they completely support emulators as homebrew and in essence pirating ROMs. The argument is always made that they still aren't selling the games anymore and they're old so it is a'okay and everyone chooses to completely ignore the fact that the Virtual Console games make Nintendo and other publishers a fair amount of money. If you enable emulators and homebrew you are still enabling piracy on the system and hurting the developer ecosystem as a whole. At the end of the day any homebrew solution will lead to piracy one way or another so why is there such a need to quantify which form of piracy is "acceptable?"

If you're already going to take money out of Nintendo's and other developers pockets do you really think they are going to sit around and say "Welp, it's just old ROMs so it's okay I guess." I would assume their response would be the same as it would be if you enabled piracy for recently released games. It is all still lost revenue to them. They do not see this illogical gray area the community has accepted as the norm.

Honestly at this point so late in the game, especially with the recent release of the new Raspberry Pi 2, the only real reason there would be to hack the Wii U would be to create some kind of USB HDD backup and loading system. Putting this much effort into finding an exploit to hack a pretty closed eco-system just for the sole purpose of running a few emulators and other homebrew demos when you could spend $35 and get a new Raspberry Pi 2 which has a quad-core 900MHz ARM processor and 1GB RAM just seems a little silly at this point if you never intend for it to be used to rip and play games.

That's nice, but people really don't give a shit about old ROMs or emulators anymore. Most of the third party games aren't even on the Virtual Console and many first party games are still missing, so, your argument is invalid. You don't seem to realize what this site used to be or what many users on here. As for the whole "VC games vs. emulators and ROMs, money this, money that," very few third party companies have games on the Wii U VC, I can only think of a few, but outside of Nintendo and HAL, there aren't any. Besides, who are you to dictate what hackers can or can't do, they don't owe you or any of us anything. That's the most inane argument I've ever heard. As for piracy severely hurting sales, yeah, that's a myth and utter bullshit.

Wrong, the VC doesn't generate as much as you think, Nintendo gets most of it, aside from Capcom, maybe Square Enix, and HAL, very few if any 3rd parties have their games on the VC, so, who the hell cares if people download ROMs or want emulators on the Wii U. You needn't lecture us.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Derailed again for piracy debate. Smh. It is kinda perfect for many to have a kernel exploit that allows only homebrew. Those who "can" probably won't ever share an IOSU exploit.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

optikalsaint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, who the hell cares if people download ROMs or want emulators on the Wii U.

Why are you always so grumpy? Grrrr. Sometimes I just want to reach out give you a tickle or something. Turn those frowny responses upside down :) To answer your question with a question of my own - who the hell cares if someone wants to download ISOs and load them on to a harddrive and play them? That is the point I was trying to articulate. Distinguishing one form of piracy as wrong and then getting behind another just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I just don't understand it because I am a developer that has released products that were pirated before. You might not think it hurts sales, but it does. I should have been upset people were pirating because I wasn't making the theoretical money from those "lost sales," but I was still equally happy that people were using the products I worked on.

Even though I do not understand the double standard rational behind the acceptance of ROMs and emulation yet being against piracy or current titles, I was still hoping to have a conversation about it (preferably civil) to see if there was an opposing view that would make me understand the thought process a little better. If that offends you the_randomizer well then I apologize. I didn't realize you would feel attacked :)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you always so grumpy? Grrrr. Sometimes I just want to reach out give you a tickle or something. Turn those frowny responses upside down :) To answer your question with a question of my own - who the hell cares if someone wants to download ISOs and load them on to a harddrive and play them? That is the point I was trying to articulate. Distinguishing one form of piracy as wrong and then getting behind another just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I just don't understand it because I am a developer that has released products that were pirated before. You might not think it hurts sales, but it does. I should have been upset people were pirating because I wasn't making the theoretical money from those "lost sales," but I was still equally happy that people were using the products I worked on.

Even though I do not understand the double standard rational behind the acceptance of ROMs and emulation yet being against piracy or current titles, I was still hoping to have a conversation about it (preferably civil) to see if there was an opposing view that would make me understand the thought process a little better. If that offends you the_randomizer well then I apologize. I didn't realize you would feel attacked :)

Uuuuuuuuuh...........about that....see.....well....ah crap....

whinis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My understanding behind the double standard is that most often (ofcoarse not always) ROMs specifically are accepted because they tend to be for older systems in which you can't get the game anymore and are no longer in production.There is no "theft" going on because there isn't a way to actually legally acquire it aside from second hand sales. Similarly emulators allow you to play on systems that are no longer in production or can't be reasonably used using current technology, such as snes and how it looks on non-crt tvs. This of coarse is a generalization as there are emulators for currently in production systems and not all ROMs are technically out of production. That being said its still illegal to get the roms to my knowledge in the US and emulators are a grey area.

I personally don't think piracy is that big of a problem both due to the fact that only a very small % of the population does it and you can't consider pirates to be lost sales due to a multitude of reasons.

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is kinda perfect for many to have a kernel exploit that allows only homebrew.

This is actually far from perfect for the majority of people who are interested

In the gaming scene a few people are interested in wiiu (looking at sales numbers), in the wiiu scene a few people are interested in having a hacked system and do what they want, even fewer people are interested in (just) playing some emulators and roms.
We all know what most people want ;)

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In the gaming scene a few people are interested in wiiu (looking at sales numbers), in the wiiu scene a few people are interested in having a hacked system and do what they want, even fewer people are interested in (just) playing some emulators and roms.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. The homebrew guys and gals get their homebrew with the kernel exploit it seems and then this appeases the anti-pirates (as long as it is just older games people pirate, lol). Without an IOSU exploit to dump keys it seems that others will have the goodies and the keys to encrypt/decrypt data and access other "stuff" while the rest of us will not. So taking all of this into account I thought it was funny to say that only being given a kernel exploit would be perfect ;-) Which, coincidentally, is all it seems will be released. I don't say this as a slight to MN1 or NWplayer either.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. The homebrew guys and gals get their homebrew with the kernel exploit it seems and then this appeases the anti-pirates (as long as it is just older games people pirate, lol). Without an IOSU exploit to dump keys it seems that others will have the goodies and the keys to encrypt/decrypt data and access other "stuff" while the rest of us will not. So taking all of this into account I thought it was funny to say that only being given a kernel exploit would be perfect ;-) Which, coincidentally, is all it seems will be released. I don't say this as a slight to MN1 or NWplayer either.
There are other teams working on the IOSU exploit stuff, they're just keeping quiet about it right now.

That being said the kernel exploit will be perfect for a solid community for homebrew. Backup loading will likely require the IOSU to be compromised and will be completely seperate (most likely).

Bun-Bun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a clarification,

I have a Wii with HBC, with usb loader from a 500gb HDD, and some eshop purchased content. From my understanding I can get a WiiU, any WiiU with whatever the latest f/w is, and transfer everything over and use it basically like I do my current Wii. Correct? eshop stuff will transfer with official tool and I can install HBC and usbloader on the vWii?

Don't want to keep the Wii if I don't have to.

For me its all about having a HDD loaded with all my games for convenience. I own physical copies of all the games on my HDD. Nintendo eshop content is just too restricting with everything being tied to the hardware. I don't understand how devs/pubs can be so far off the mark of what people are wanting and the general public is too ignorant to see how flawed the systems are. They sure are mad when they realize though.

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a clarification,

I have a Wii with HBC, with usb loader from a 500gb HDD, and some eshop purchased content. From my understanding I can get a WiiU, any WiiU with whatever the latest f/w is, and transfer everything over and use it basically like I do my current Wii. Correct? eshop stuff will transfer with official tool and I can install HBC and usbloader on the vWii?

Pretty much.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't the main topic be updated? Currently it reads: "The Wii U Ancast key has also been dumped."

Maybe it should read: "The Wii U / vWii Ancast keys and the Wii U Common Key have been made publicly available / leaked."

In parenthesis you could include "google is your friend ;)" lol

Reactions: lbalan79

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Smegmaglutide.