Hacking Hacking the WiiU: A Simple Progress Guide

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I give up, I got WiiFlow and it doesn't detect it either. When the WiiFlow is loading, the HDD turns on a little light that it has, but after a few seconds, it turn off and on partitions, I can only choose SD (unless I use my 8GB Flash Drive, this one works), so.. I don't know if the problem is related to my HDD, which it's weird I guess.

Anyways, thank you, I'll try to buy a 32GB Flash Drive at least.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I give up, I got WiiFlow and it doesn't detect it either. When the WiiFlow is loading, the HDD turns on a little light that it has, but after a few seconds, it turn off and on partitions, I can only choose SD (unless I use my 8GB Flash Drive, this one works), so.. I don't know if the problem is related to my HDD, which it's weird I guess.

Anyways, thank you, I'll try to buy a 32GB Flash Drive at least.
if you tryed with a ntfs drive wiiflow and usbloader gx will probably have issues, heck i think every homebrew app has issues if the primary partition isnt fat32 or something.

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pedro, I want to thank you for the help and answers you have provided me, I'll republish a summary about almost everything I've done, things that I've explained before.

So far, these are all the options that I've tried.

1. Formating the entire External HDD: 1 partition FAT32
2. Formating the entire External HDD: 1 partition NTFS
3. Formating one partition to FAT32 and using that one (having two partitions)
4. Formating one partition to NTFS and using that one (having two partitions)

If I use Configurable USB Loader, the light on the HDD turns on for two seconds before loading the CFG screen, and then turns off, the CFG loads and get stuck. If I use WiiFlow, it only give the option to choose SD (which is inside the Wii U)

If I use my 8GB Flash Drive, it works perfectly on both (CFG and WiiFlow), it's a "Generic" 8GB Flash Drive (it's a Goku from DBZ flash drive)

I bought two flash drives on eBay (10 dollars per 128GB), and they have the capacity, and in fact, I transferred Zelda Skyward Sword only, just to give it a try, by using the Wii Backup Manager, and it worked, but when I tried to install the other games, it gave me multiple errors, and well, these two flash drives keep telling me that they are write protected, I've formated them to FAT32, NTFS, etc and it's the same (but as pedro says, I was told about this, because these are cheap generic flash drives)

If anyone might know the reason or a solution about it, or if needs to check the HDD by TeamViewer, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pedro, I want to thank you for the help and answers you have provided me, I'll republish a summary about almost everything I've done, things that I've explained before.

So far, these are all the options that I've tried.

1. Formating the entire External HDD: 1 partition FAT32
2. Formating the entire External HDD: 1 partition NTFS
3. Formating one partition to FAT32 and using that one (having two partitions)
4. Formating one partition to NTFS and using that one (having two partitions)

If I use Configurable USB Loader, the light on the HDD turns on for two seconds before loading the CFG screen, and then turns off, the CFG loads and get stuck. If I use WiiFlow, it only give the option to choose SD (which is inside the Wii U)

If I use my 8GB Flash Drive, it works perfectly on both (CFG and WiiFlow), it's a "Generic" 8GB Flash Drive (it's a Goku from DBZ flash drive)

I bought two flash drives on eBay (10 dollars per 128GB), and they have the capacity, and in fact, I transferred Zelda Skyward Sword only, just to give it a try, by using the Wii Backup Manager, and it worked, but when I tried to install the other games, it gave me multiple errors, and well, these two flash drives keep telling me that they are write protected, I've formated them to FAT32, NTFS, etc and it's the same (but as pedro says, I was told about this, because these are cheap generic flash drives)

If anyone might know the reason or a solution about it, or if needs to check the HDD by TeamViewer, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
is your hdd self powered? also you should try without partitions all fat32 drop the damn ntfs lol.

taz42

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi hope someone can help me.
I have got the homebrew channel on my wii u but cant seem to get USB loader to recognise my external hdd.
Having tried putting my old wii external hdd into the wii u expecting it to bring up all my old wii games it wouldn't even recognise the hdd.
So have tried with an external 1t hdd with its own power source and still the wii u doesn't recognise it.
I was hoping that I could play all my old wii games on the wii u.
Any help would be most appreciated but please make it simple as I am fairly new to this on the wii u.
The 1tb hdd is formatted to fat32

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm not sure if it is self powered, but anyways, I won't use the HDD.

As last question, is it possible to play with the Wii U Pro Controller on the wii games loaded by wiiflow or CFG Loader?
the wiiupro controller only works on homebrew apps that have support and of course it doesnt work on wii games, since we dont patch wii games with controllers

LoL you dont know if its self powered?how can you not know?It either has an AC adapter that needs to be plugged to a power outlet or not, if it has an ac adapter its self powered if not you need a y cable for wiiu.

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahmm, I mean, it just comes with a USB cable. I don't have to connect it to a power outlet in order to work. At least on my computer I just connect the USB cable and the HDD works, so I guess it's self powered XD, sorry, I wasn't sure about what this mean.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ahmm, I mean, it just comes with a USB cable. I don't have to connect it to a power outlet in order to work. At least on my computer I just connect the USB cable and the HDD works, so I guess it's self powered XD, sorry, I wasn't sure about what this mean.
it isnt self powered... a self powered hdd means it doesnt suck power from the computer it uses a AC adapter and the usb cable its just a connection not a power drain also, your hdd isnt self powered thats why you need a y cabe for wiiu like people have said long ago.

The wiiu has a low eletrical output from its usbdoors thats why most devices that dont have another way to get power except from a single usb door dont work its not your hdd, its all hdds the wiiu just doesnt give enough power trough a single usb door.

Trophies
XP
Country
it isnt self powered... a self powered hdd means it doesnt suck power from the computer it uses a AC adapter and the usb cable its just a connection not a power drain also, your hdd isnt self powered thats why you need a y cabe for wiiu like people have said long ago.

I have both a self powered and a non self powered hdd, which would be best to use?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have both a self powered and a non self powered hdd, which would be best to use?
On wiiu always go for self powered and incase like the person abode you dont understand what self powered means, it means it has an AC adapter to plug just like the console itself to the power outlet.Of course if you have a Y cable you can use the pure usb one too.

On the wii it doesnt matter since the wii doesnt have handicapted usb doors like the wiiu.

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohh, what is the cable that I need then?, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178104 that's basically my External HDD.

And as I said, the lights turn on before loading the screen on CFG and WiiFlow, and then turns off, so what you are saying might fix the problem :)

I'll give it a try with the cable that I need, which one is it?, do you think this one would work?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Power-Adapter-Y-Cable-2-0-A-Female-to-Dual-USB-A-Male-/151240436872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2336a1ec88 And basically, I have to connect it to the upper and lower ports at the back of the Wii U?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ohh, what is the cable that I need then?, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178104 that's basically my External HDD.

And as I said, the lights turn on before loading the screen on CFG and WiiFlow, and then turns off, so what you are saying might fix the problem :)

I'll give it a try with the cable that I need, which one is it?, do you think this one would work?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Power-Adapter-Y-Cable-2-0-A-Female-to-Dual-USB-A-Male-/151240436872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2336a1ec88

you need something like this
USB_Y_Cable.JPG

or this
s-l1000.jpg

its like a usb extension that splits in two and those 2 go into the wiiu one is for data and the other to get extra power.

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I just bought the one that I linked you, the image it's the same as the first one you published.

So basically, I have to connect them both at the back of the Wii U, right?, one on top and the other one below?

Thank you!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, I just bought the one that I linked you, the image it's the same as the first one you published.

So basically, I have to connect them both at the back of the Wii U, right?, one on top and the other one below?

Thank you!
yeah make sure you plug the data one on the upper back port, the other one can be anywhere else.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pedro, it was the thing about the power, I bought the cable you told me about, and now it works perfect, and I have two partitions :), I'm so happy. Thank you, I really appreciate your help.
no problem we are all here to help each other, people just need to keep in mind the wiiu was badly designed tahts why we need Y cables, its no ones fault but nintendo.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a last question, let's say I already transferred all the files to an external HDD using wii backup manager. If I copy all the files inside the external hdd to another external hdd, would that work?

I'm asking because my computer doesn't have too much space, and .iso files are bigger than the .wbfs games, so what I want to do is delete all the isos I have, and Keep the .wbfs that are inside my external HDD in my computer, this way I could install the games to a friend of mine, and also have them as backup in case something happens to my external HDD, but I'm not sure if this would work or the iso file is necessary to be transferred using the wii backup manager.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Welcome back