Hacking or Hardware issue?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mega man x, Dec 30, 2009.

Dec 30, 2009
  1. mega man x
    OP

Newcomer mega man x Member

United States
    Ok so I have my personal Wii hacked just fine, updated to 4.2 and I am able to load games using USB Loader GX with a regular External HD and a WD Passport HD that is USB powered.

My problem lies in my friend's Wii. I had it hacked at 4.1, but just for basic homebrew. He purchased the Passport HD for UsbLoader GX and asked me to update it for him. So I updated to 4.2 officially, then used the Complete Softmod Guide to reinstall everything. Everything worked fine until I tried running USb loader GX. When loading it does one of 3 things, it hangs in the black screen, hangs on a white GX layout screen or it loads slowly but fine. However, whatever game is loaded has stuttering in the game. When it stutters the blue led in the disc slot flashes. And sometimes when it stutters it freezes. This is using my HD, which loads all games just fine on my Wii. I tried loading using Neogamma R6, and sometimes it loads the HD just fine and other times it just hangs. I can sometimes load a game but when I do it stutters just the same.

i extracted a game I knew was stuttering as an ISO and burned it using a verbatim dvd-r. I then tried it using Neogamma r6 and it plays perfectly. No hangs, stutters or anything.

So here is the deal. My wii is launch and his was purchased in the first year. not an LU64. My wii will load from his new passport just fine, but on his it hangs. Both pf ours have cIOS Rev 14 and Hermes v4. I have tried reinstalling using the Gomplete Softmod guide a guide on afterdawn and finally the wonderful guide here. Almost all the steps were the same in all three guides, and each time I tried I reloaded the bootmii of just having upgraded to 4.2. Is the Wii having some sort of cIOS installation problem or is it the USB port. I can't test the other port as it is now reserved for peripherals. And the fact the using a disc works fine stumps me. Any advise on what I can do to make a USB launcehr work? It does not need to be GX.

Any and all advice is welcome, if you want more info I will tried to provide it.

2. alexh

Newcomer alexh Member

United Kingdom
    Did you make sure the USB drive is plugged into the USB port nearest the edge of the Wii?

Did you try cIOS249 v15?

Have you tried changing the configuration for the loader such that it uses IOS222/223 instead?

When you originally did your friends Wii, did you keep a NAND backup of before modding? Perhaps revert to that first?

3. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    so using the same EXACT SD card, HDD, IOSes, and just different Wiis you get different results? it sounds to me like you have correct settings and files on 1 sd card and shitty settings and on the other.

4. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    If this would be the issue the USB loader(s) would only state that they can't connect to the HDD.

Anyway try reinstalling cIOS.

5. mega man x
    OP

Newcomer mega man x Member

United States
    I can try reinstalling cIOS again, but I have already done that with the same cIOS rev 14 that I used 3 times for each guide. Also doesnt the fact that the backup disc plays fine confirm cIoS is installed correctly? I had heard that 15 was out but that there were possible issues, but I may try that. Also, I did change the global setting one time on USB Loader GX from 249 to 223 and now GX wont load at all. On the powered external I can't leave the HD plugged in, I have to wait for GX to give the error" Detecting for USB Device" or else it just doesnt load. As for SD card settings, I only have default settings and no extra apps on tere except for installatin apps. What would be best recommended?