GTron retro controller adapter for Wii issue

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by The Frenchman, Aug 2, 2012.

1. The Frenchman
    OP

Member The Frenchman GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Ok so, a while ago I got this Gtron 4 in 1 retro controller adapter : http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SNES-NES-GENESIS-N64-WII-CONTROLLER-ADAPTER-/200798185704?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1047659609911717588%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

works like a charm for snes/nes/genesis, but the N64 compatibility isn't the best, it works flawlessly unless you need to press Z... The adapter uses GC port so most likely Z(N64) is mapped to Z(GC), so it's pretty much useless...

So my question is; anyone could just make a WiirD cheat that would change the mapping on those following games: Zelda Oot, Zelda Majora's Mask, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. (strangely Z works well with SM64) Which makes me think would injecting those games into SM64 keep the correct mapping?

Or, is there anyway I could just open up the N64 controller and make pressing Z trigger an L command?

I know it's a very unique problem and requires some work, but I'm sure I'm not the only one using this 4in1 adapter who's limited to Snes/Nes/Gen

thanks in advance!

2. ploggy

Member ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

United Kingdom
    I've got the same adapter as you and yea, it's a known problem. You could use the Wii64 Emulator instead and remap the Z and L keys to the right buttons.

3. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    you won't like my answer, but on raphnet he sells n64 to gc converters which can change the mapping of the n64 controls like you asked, but it will cost you

4. The Frenchman
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, I've seen Raphnet's adapter, it requires holding a certain button to remap the whole thing and costs 26$ CDN...

If I just switch L and Z inner cables will it not work?

5. ploggy

United Kingdom
    It will work but you'll probably have to cut traces on the Controller.

6. The Frenchman
    OP

Canada
    well, these buttons have independant "board" linked by cables, so I won,t have to.

7. ploggy

United Kingdom
    That's a good point, didn't think about that. Well it should only be a matter of de-soldering and extending the wires then swap them over.

8. The Frenchman
    OP

Canada
    Strangely pressing L in Zelda will not open up the Z targetting... I need some testing with a GC controller before I can do this.

9. ploggy

United Kingdom
    Do you have problems with your N64 Controllers randomly disconnecting with your adapter? It happens to me all the time, tbh it's put me off using this adapter. Although it maybe my controllers that's the problem and not the adapter. :P

10. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Hey, I'm willing to bet that there is any easy solution to be made with soldering on a switch. I can't test this theory bc I don't have one of these adapters, but if someone cares to send me one then I will put my effort forward to figure it out and if need be I will reach out for ideas from the many other hacking communities that I am part of.

11. The Frenchman
    OP

Canada
    Ok so after much testing with Zelda and SM64 I've come to this conclusion:

Zelda's Wad is bundled with an emulator that maps the GCN control that were used on the Zelda collector's edition (GCN) it's kind of tricky here are all of the triggered action on the N64 pad:
    A: action
    B: attack
    C directions: C directions
    Z: C down (as did Z on Zelda CE on gcn)
    R: shield
    L: nothing
    d-pad: triggers map
    joystick: movement duh...
    start: pause menu OMG

strangely L on GCN controller does indeed give an L response... :S I'm quite puzzled as to how L on the N64 isn't a GCN L, when theorically it should do so... I tried for testing with an SNES pad and on Mario 64 L does a Z command (Mario ducks) but in Zelda OoT the L on SNES pad does nothing)

With SM64 everything is mapped to the real N64 version so the adapter does the job perfectly, although I have to admit sometimes the controls will go haywire.

The solution would then be to inject the problematic games into the SMB64 wad. is there anyone willing to inject OoT into it? or point me into a complete injection guide?