GTA V is coded in Java?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jonthedit, Aug 5, 2014.

1. jonthedit
    OP

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    After looking at the 'confirmed leaked' source code image of Grand Theft Auto V's "Heists" DLC, I noticed the formatting has a high resemblance of Java. Then again, there are other programming languages that also end in a semicolon;

[​IMG]

2. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    That's C++ most likely. Nobody programs high-end games in Java, since it's too slow.

jonthedit likes this.
  3. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Java's syntax is largely based upon C & C++ and for that reason alone you can't just look at what I assume to be constants being declared to determine the programming language being utilized. I highly doubt they'd use Java for game development though.

4. Oxybelis

Oxybelis GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2010
    It's just internal style for configuration files. Like .inf or .ini in Windows.

All high end games on consoles use mixed C, C++ lang with various other langs for scripting.

5. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    I recognise that equals symbol, it must be QuickBasic.

Minox likes this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Seeing that heists are online content, I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in Java to facilitate live updates while the rest of the game is pre-compiled in C++, although the snippet above doesn't prove that theory. I've seen it done in multiplayer games before.

7. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    a very high demanding game codded in a (shitty) virtual machine? are you nuts?

Snailface likes this.
  8. sandytf

sandytf GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2013
    United States
    That appears to be a snippet from either some type of configuration/data file or a scripting language. Assuming normal coding practices are in use, that can't be Java, C, or C++ since the "variable" names are in all capitals. Normally, names in all capitals represent constant values, but the displayed lines of code do not specify data types. If that code was Java, C, or C++, then the code would have to be assigning values to already declared variables (not constants) and go against a very common naming convention. Additionally, the code appears to be using parentheses to indicate comments. This is not possible in Java, C, or C++.

jonthedit likes this.