Group boycotts 3DS because it fuels human right abuses.

• Thread starter croagunk.master
  • Start date
  • Views 13,315
  • Replies 171
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThePowerOutage said:
First go look how iDevices are made.

Then, and only then can you bitch about nintendo.
lol, I remember seeing an article on a magazine:

"China: 1,000,000 workers, 17 Suicides. THIS is where your iPhone comes from."

Apple...
ohmy.gif

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If they were smart, they wouldn't use Facebook... since Facebook will inevitably end up as a 3DS app (or it will at minimum have some sort of Facebook functionality).
Facebook will then be associated with the 3DS... and it'll be like trying to boycott the 3DS through a company that likes the 3DS.

C

croagunk.master

OP
Guys I really don't know the validity of this news.
I posted it because it sounded interesting.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I think we should boycott "drunk-driving fuels" by refusing to purchase alcohol. We need to send a message to companies who get rich off of killing people in drunk driving accidents. Same argument as "conflict materials".

Come on activists, let's focus on holding the people directly responsible accountable for the atrocities in the Congo rather than punishing gamers and Nintendo (where in the fuck is the U.N. BTW?)

@DeMoN
rofl.gif

Rukia-san

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do they have any source anyway? And why did they wait until THIS long to do it? I think it's only a bunch of stupid haters.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I really couldn't care less if Nintendo was using conflict materials. Even if they were, and they later decided NOT to use these "conflict materials", and obtain them elsewhere, it would be significantly more expensive...not to mention some of these conflict materials are only obtainable in conflict areas.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
twiztidsinz said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Ok, I want too see a source to his "mined in the Congo by oppressed workers led by armed rebel groups." statement. Otherwise I think it's just a troll being a troll
There was a story on this a little while ago, not sure if it mentioned the 3DS specifically, but from what I read it sounds legit.
It's not hard to search for, just look up Conflict Materials

I know about those, I am talking about Nintendo using them.
I want to see prof that Nintendo is indeed using them
The thing is, it's hard to prove that Nintendo is using them, however it is very highly likely that they are.
I know that "very highly likely" wouldn't hold up in court, but the facts of the matter are there is no way currently to trace where the materials are coming from since unlike diamonds they don't carry a chemical 'signature'.
Given that the area in the Congo is one of the largest producers of those materials and the guerrillas control over half the mines it's less likely that they don't use conflict materials -- and they're not the only ones either, Apple has been called out on it and they are taking steps to require that all materials be traced to ensure that conflict materials aren't being used.
Sure Nintendo is being unfairly singled out, but this is the new 'hot item to have'. If they went after anyone else right now they'd be ignored by all the 3DS news. All Nintendo would have to do would be to set up a system of record keeping similar to what Apple and HP are/have done to ensure that the materials can be traced back to areas not in conflict.

Snailface said:
I think we should boycott "drunk-driving fuels" by refusing to purchase alcohol. We need to send a message to companies who get rich off of killing people in drunk driving accidents. Same argument as "conflict materials".

Come on activists, let's focus on holding the people directly responsible accountable for the atrocities in the Congo rather than punishing gamers and Nintendo (where in the fuck is the U.N. BTW?)

@DeMoN
rofl.gif
Sorry.. but that is an absolute BULLSHIT analogy.

No one comes to your house with guns and forces you to drink alcohol and then drive drunk, that would be your own stupid choice.
And there are plenty of people who "boycott' alcohol either out of personal preference or because they lost a loved one due to alcohol in some way.

QUOTE(Rukia-san @ Feb 27 2011, 01:24 PM)
Do they have any source anyway? And why did they wait until THIS long to do it? I think it's only a bunch of stupid haters.
This is a fairly new thing give that Diamonds, the major 'conflict material, weren't singled out til 2002. Now that it's been shown to work with diamonds, people are realizing that it's not the only thing being mined in a harsh manner.
Not to mention that demand for these materials has risen SHARPLY in recent years due to practically everything being a computer now.

QUOTE(TwinRetro @ Feb 27 2011, 01:29 PM)
I really couldn't care less if Nintendo was using conflict materials. Even if they were, and they later decided NOT to use these "conflict materials", and obtain them elsewhere, it would be significantly more expensive...not to mention some of these conflict materials are only obtainable in conflict areas.
Right. Who cares if people are killed, so long as TwinRetro gets his video games!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
I don't understand, how do they know? Or are they just claiming?
Given the quantity of materials produced from the Congo region and that over half the mines producing them are controlled by the guerrillas, it's more likely they are than they are not.
It's somewhat unfair to name Nintendo, but they have the big new item.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Given the quantity of materials produced from the Congo region and that over half the mines producing them are controlled by the guerrillas, it's more likely they are than they are not.
So... You're basically supporting this boycott?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Slyakin said:
twiztidsinz said:
ShadowSoldier said:
So... You're basically supporting this boycott?

You should be a reporter for Fox. You're a natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte