Graphics Card Replacement

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by GameSoul, Dec 14, 2008.

Dec 14, 2008

Graphics Card Replacement by GameSoul at 9:57 AM (974 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. GameSoul
    OP

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I have an Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro, and it's really old and was made back in the late 90's and I thought it was time I upgraded. It isn't compatible with any drivers and it rarely updates anymore. What graphics card can replace it? I've thought about getting a new computer altogether but I am not sure which to get, and if it's at a reasonable price.

2. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Get a new PC.
    Any PC that can support an old-ass card like probably won't do you any good, even if you upgraded it with the newest parts available.

3. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    If you're going to get a new computer, don't just go to the shop and buy one off the shelf -- You'll get a lot more satisfaction from building it yourself, as you can customize and tune it to your liking. I love building computers, even if they are peecee's [​IMG] Plus if you search out the deals out there, you can save a ton of cash building your own than buying one.

4. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'd have to agree with Hakchill, just make sure you know what you're doing before you start ordering parts. Research into which parts are best value or best fit your needs. You'll save tons of money doing that.

5. GameSoul
    OP

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    Thanks guys, I'll look in to your suggestions.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    just tell us a budget for a new comp that you wanna spend

7. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Give us a budget, preference, purpose, lifetime expectency, etc.. Personally just updated my system for 350 euros (though lacking slightly on the video card department):

70 euros for an e4500 (though that was quite a nice deal, especially considering my overclock [​IMG]).
    30 euros for alternative cooling for the CPU (Scythe mine sandwhich rev. B), but I got that as a gift for my B-day [​IMG].
    145 for the motherboard (which is relativly expensive, but I wanted it's features) - Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
    40 for RAM (though I have expanded it to 6 gigs now which makes it roughly 95 euros for RAM total) - GEIL ultra memory (dual channel kits; 1,1,2,2 gigabytes)
    35 for my 7900GT (second hand)

All including shipping.

So that's 320 (375 counting the extra memory) euros. Though the CPU is relativly slow/old and the GPU is too (though that I will upgrade sometime in the next few months, as always prices will drop which makes it more interesting to buy a more suitable GPU) I think it will last me at least 2 proper years (that's my trackrecord of sorts) and a third at which I will probably be getting back into the market looking for what to upgrade to next [​IMG]. I've tried to stay more in budget this time as I hardly ever game on my desktop anymore (mainly because I am simply not home that much [​IMG]). Also as I know the C2D overclock like crazy I went with a cheaper one (and better cooling).

350-400 euros should be a proper amount of money to buy you a new (averidge gaming; 3 year) computer. Take a slightly less expensive motherboard (though I have always bought a motherboard with more features then I thought I would need, always been happy with that choice [​IMG] ), a slightly more expensive CPU, cheaper memory and a better GPU then I have though the 7900GT still performs adequite.