Graphics Card Power?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by BumFace, Mar 2, 2009.

Mar 2, 2009

Graphics Card Power? by BumFace at 4:51 PM (738 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. BumFace
    OP

Member BumFace GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I recently got a XFX 9600GT XXX Alpha Dog Edition:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/siteimages...on/12_thumb.jpg

a friend gave it to me in mint condition and plugged it in my computer and noticed a plug at the back for power(six-pin), so i told him should i plug it in? he said depends on my PSU. My PSU is 550Watts, and he said no. i think i should put it in since it's a powerful card

Should i plug it in? is it necessary?(tell me the problems if i don't plug it in)

btw, this is my first card and its free and the box is nice.

2. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    well - afaik PCI - E just delivers a limited amount of power, so it shouldn't hurt to plug it in

3. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Getting a 9600GT for free is nice [​IMG]. Anyway plug it in, first of all if the power would be drawn from the PCI-E slot or from the PCI-E connector you are still getting the same power drain (the PCI-E slot can only supply that much though, which is why the connector is there). Second if there is a plug it prolly needs it for it's power, when not connected it most probably scales down it's clocks (and voltage) as it simply doesn't get the juice it needs. It should tell you that when you boot up the system though (happens on my 6800 ultra when no molex connectors are in there).

4. BumFace
    OP

Member BumFace GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    thx for the help, guys. i'll post back the results soon

5. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Just like to add something that everything from XFX has a nice box, as you said, you've got yourself a good GFX card there, plus id plug it in, if your PC complains on start up, just take it out, simple as that. Scorpei just beat me to it...again XD