Hardware GPU help needed!

ichidansan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a gpu from a friend, uninstalled the previous integrated graphics card's drivers, and then shut off, installed the gpu, an ati radeon 3450. started up and got bsod.

after a few trial and errors I got it running, and it auto installs the driver, and then I get vertical lines on screen, no image, just solid color with lines.

system restored, which most likely reinstalled the nvidia drivers, and still had the new card in, it still started up and will run for a few seconds, but then i get vertical lines again.

I thought that it might be over heating, so I opened the case up and turned my fan to it. which didnt help.

now I stupidly tried to do a factory restore on the computer, so that none of the drivers would be installed, but now the screen is back to vertical lines, so im waiting for the process to finish and hope for the best. need help please
or have I just royally screwed myself.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The card is defective, aka broken. No software/driver can save it.

Also what integrated GPU are you running? Radeon HD3450 is a very old card. I suppose if you can afford to spend $50 HD7730 is about to come out, and is many times stronger than HD3450.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others said dead or dying and though I am more likely to call BGA failure I have also seen similar things from capacitors failing before.

If any look like
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/SelectTronix/2011-09-13_180709_capacitors.jpg (leaking from the top, sides of bottom) or are bulging on top then they are dead and need to be replaced. I will probably get dirty looks from some sides but you can score enough new ones to fix it for a couple of dollars for the lot and a trip to radioshack/fry's.

If it is the case reply back and I or someone will guide you through capacitor replacement (it usually reads replace like with like but there are exceptions and things to make things slightly harder).

ichidansan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the help you guys. I probably messed up in the first place, as I have no exp in installing gpu's. cus I didnt uninstall the intigrated's drivers first, and all.
but going into safe mode with the gpu out, I uninstalled the nvidia graphics drivers and then shut down. installed the gpu again, safe mode, then uninstalled the ati drivers that windows had installed. restarted, it started like normal, and then windows attempted to install the drivers for the ati again. then it prompted a restart, I said later, and went to download and install the drivers from ati's site, it was the top driver for the radeon 3k,4k,5k series's and before I could even start that installer, it vertical lined me. so i restarted in safe mode, and attempted to install, but the installers said that it couldn't detect the card type.

edit-
ok so I did a restore, have everything back to before the gpu was installed. then I installed the gpu, it was low 8bit colors, and auto installed its drivers. i attempted to install the catylist drivers, screen goes black. restart, bsod. so i go to bios, set the gpu to onboard, with the ati card still in. pc starts up fine. device manager shows the ati radeon card in it, so I instal the catylist ati drivers. it installs fine, no errors. now attempting to see if the card will work or not. any reason why it would do this besides it being faulty> my psu is only 300 watts, so i thought that it might not be getting enough power..

edit 2-
this gpu works fine in safe mode. so something must be wrong. should I upload my bsod dump?

edit-3 ok, 15 min in and it does this

GEDC0965.JPG

ichidansan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bump to get attention. is it completely useless like ive been told and has my hopefulness all been in vain.

ichidansan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
re-install windows, assume the screen displays fine on boot

sadly i was stupid enough to do so, though it was with the factory restore partion. during the process, the screen did the vertical line thing. and so i let it do its thing, and pressed enter, and the computer restarted. it looked like it was going fine, then when it started to configure windows, i get a black screen. so I cant see what was going on.

long story short, it forced me to reinstall the os again, this time without the card in.

if you dont mind reading, here is a summery of everything I've done after the os install.

run it the first time before windows installs its preset driver, which i cannot stop. it installs, and then after a few min it black screens me. cant see a thing. so I force a shut off. video comes through.

try to start windows, gets blue screen of death.

goes to bios and changes pci back to onboard for gpu usage.

everything start fine

install graphic card drivers from makers site, installs fine no errors.

go back to bios, switch back to pci, restart, freeze on windows boot logo, the bsod.

change bios to onboard once again, and it seems that the comp is using both graphic cards. tested with minecraft
and i can have everything at highest, with no lag. and before i had to have almost everything on lowest. going to get a more gpu intensive game to test out later.

ichidansan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's defiantly an issue with the graphics card then

i would get a new card, its probably the reason your friend gave it to you
lol he was quite surprised that it didnt work. and because we traded, he offered to get a refurbished one
for me, that should do the same, if not better than this card could do if it did work.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
lol he was quite surprised that it didnt work. and because we traded, he offered to get a refurbished one
for me, that should do the same, if not better than this card could do if it did work.

trade back then, clearly he gave you a bum card
any card is better than a broken one

ichidansan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again I have to ask, what iGPU were you previously using? Is there really a need to move on to 3450 or 5450 low end/non-gaming GPU?

anything is better than this. its a GeForce 9100. in a hp pavilion a4316f. I know its not meant for gaming, but its better than nothing.

Bought a refurbished one once, it was defective on arrival. I sent it back twice, only to be sent a defective one back.
That was a complete waste of money and time.
well its not my money lol, so if it is defective, all I can do is just send it back and hope for a better replacement.

ichidansan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also for when I do get the next GPU, what would be the proper way to install it? do I uninstall the Nvidia graphic display drivers, shut down, install card, then boot up and install drivers for the new card? or just install the new card and leave all drivers alone?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...