GPU help needed!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by ichidansan, May 1, 2013.

1. ichidansan
    OP

ichidansan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    I got a gpu from a friend, uninstalled the previous integrated graphics card's drivers, and then shut off, installed the gpu, an ati radeon 3450. started up and got bsod.

after a few trial and errors I got it running, and it auto installs the driver, and then I get vertical lines on screen, no image, just solid color with lines.

system restored, which most likely reinstalled the nvidia drivers, and still had the new card in, it still started up and will run for a few seconds, but then i get vertical lines again.

I thought that it might be over heating, so I opened the case up and turned my fan to it. which didnt help.

now I stupidly tried to do a factory restore on the computer, so that none of the drivers would be installed, but now the screen is back to vertical lines, so im waiting for the process to finish and hope for the best. need help please
    or have I just royally screwed myself.

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    The card is defective, aka broken. No software/driver can save it.

Also what integrated GPU are you running? Radeon HD3450 is a very old card. I suppose if you can afford to spend $50 HD7730 is about to come out, and is many times stronger than HD3450.

3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The card's physically damaged/dying. You will not be able to use it properly.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    As others said dead or dying and though I am more likely to call BGA failure I have also seen similar things from capacitors failing before.

If any look like
    http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/SelectTronix/2011-09-13_180709_capacitors.jpg (leaking from the top, sides of bottom) or are bulging on top then they are dead and need to be replaced. I will probably get dirty looks from some sides but you can score enough new ones to fix it for a couple of dollars for the lot and a trip to radioshack/fry's.

If it is the case reply back and I or someone will guide you through capacitor replacement (it usually reads replace like with like but there are exceptions and things to make things slightly harder).

5. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

edit 2-
    this gpu works fine in safe mode. so something must be wrong. should I upload my bsod dump?

edit-3 ok, 15 min in and it does this

6. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    bump to get attention. is it completely useless like ive been told and has my hopefulness all been in vain.

7. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    re-install windows, assume the screen displays fine on boot

8. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    sadly i was stupid enough to do so, though it was with the factory restore partion. during the process, the screen did the vertical line thing. and so i let it do its thing, and pressed enter, and the computer restarted. it looked like it was going fine, then when it started to configure windows, i get a black screen. so I cant see what was going on.

long story short, it forced me to reinstall the os again, this time without the card in.

if you dont mind reading, here is a summery of everything I've done after the os install.

9. Pong20302000

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    there's defiantly an issue with the graphics card then

i would get a new card, its probably the reason your friend gave it to you

10. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    lol he was quite surprised that it didnt work. and because we traded, he offered to get a refurbished one
    for me, that should do the same, if not better than this card could do if it did work.

11. Pong20302000

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    trade back then, clearly he gave you a bum card
    any card is better than a broken one

12. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
  13. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Again I have to ask, what iGPU were you previously using? Is there really a need to move on to 3450 or 5450 low end/non-gaming GPU?

14. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    Bought a refurbished one once, it was defective on arrival. I sent it back twice, only to be sent a defective one back.
    That was a complete waste of money and time.

15. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    anything is better than this. its a GeForce 9100. in a hp pavilion a4316f. I know its not meant for gaming, but its better than nothing.

well its not my money lol, so if it is defective, all I can do is just send it back and hope for a better replacement.

16. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    also for when I do get the next GPU, what would be the proper way to install it? do I uninstall the Nvidia graphic display drivers, shut down, install card, then boot up and install drivers for the new card? or just install the new card and leave all drivers alone?

17. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The first one.

18. Lanlan

Lanlan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2011
    United States
    If you still have it, you can try baking it.

19. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    ok, thanks. dont want to screw up lol.

20. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    baking? what exactly would that do?