GPD Win 2 help

Smoker1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the GPD Win 1 and XD/XD+, it was easy to replace the Joysticks with those for the Vita Slim (Blue Ribbon with 4 Contacts), and replace the DPad with a 3DS DPad. Ending result was a much better feel and improved response. Not to mention, the Joysticks that come with the GPD XD and Win, have a Covering that can easily tear. using it afterwards is a pain.

Now look at the Win 2.....
20181230_185204.jpg
It is a little more complicated. According to The Phawx on YouTube, I would have to Disassemble it a good amount, but should not have to do anything to the Heatsink
You have to disassemble pretty far to get to the keyboard membrane. The good news is you can get to it and leave the heatsink alone. The SoC is on a daughter board that can be disconnected without having to disassemble the heatsink. You COULD replace the thermal paste, just be aware you will need to use a lot because of the gap that exists, or use shims

So the Question remains........what will be involved in able to replace the Joysticks and the DPad?????? Not to mention, able to put a Custom Decal on it????
Example of my GPD Win Decal I did
IMAG0203.jpg

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Smoker1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got the Joysticks and DPad replaced. Had a bit of fun afterwards. Seems I probably broke the Battery Connector. Good thing I had a Spare. Battery was not being Detected, but would run perfectly on it. LOL

Anyway, what you need to do is remove the Screws Marked in RED. The RED/GREEN Screws are Optional.
BE CAREFUL WITH THE BATTERY CONNECTOR CABLE. IT IS VERY THIN, AND CAN BE DAMAGED IF BENT THE WRONG WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

After Removing the Screws, the Board should be free. You now have access to the Joysticks, for replacing.
20190103_180408.jpg

If you also want to replace the DPad, with one from a 3DS, you will have to remove the Controller Board. Very easy to do, and this version has the Pads that actually hold onto the Buttons/DPad. So will be simple.
Suggest Connecting the Battery LAST, after putting everything back together. Afterward, should run good. Your Display will go Off/On a couple times, but will come on like normal. I think it is just the System resetting itself. But you will have to Correct the Date/Time. Seriously wish they put a small Button Cell Battery in there to keep the Date/Time in the Memory.
But now, the Joysticks and the DPad should work better, and feel better. Not to mention the Covering on the Joysticks wont tear after a while.

PROPER REPLACEMENTS:

JOYSTICKS - 2ND GEN VITA.
IMAG0190.jpg

DPAD - 3DS TYPE

Example when Complete (GPD Win 1)
IMAG0203 - Example.jpg

Smoker1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you have removed the Bottom Shell Housing, Remove these Screws to detach the top Board:
RED - Must Remove
RED/Yellow - Optional, but does help. 2 Bottom on Left/Right Sides are for Keyboard. Highly Optional.
20190103_180408.jpg
NOTE: You must be VERY careful with the Battery Connector Cable. Bend it too much, you will need a replacement Battery. Mine kept saying there was no Battery, but yet I could run it no problem without the Power Cable. Swapped out the Battery, and it is working perfectly.

Afterwards, you will have the Controller Board remaining, and should be easy to remove.
20190106_221632.jpg

Last edited by Smoker1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over