Good wireless controller for PS1/2?

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a good quality PS1/2 wireless controller for use on OG hardware. Preferably able to run on both PS1 and PS2.
I bought these a while back, but they were garbage, constantly cut out connection and whatnot.

Preferably as cheap as possible, but I get that if I want quality I have to pay more for it.

Thanks!

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a couple of these which are great if you don't mind the shape/hand feel: Retro Fighters: Defender

You can also do a PS3 or PS4 OEM controller on the PS1/PS2 with the brook adapter: Brook PS2 Super Converter

On my original PS1 I also did a Brook PS2 Super converter to 8bitdo USB brick adapter to allow me to use a Playstation DIY kit to convert a PS Classic controller or real PS1 digital controller PS Classic DIY Kit / PS1 Digital DIY Kit

bobfacemoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Does the brook adapter work by plugging into console, plugging controller in via USB, then it'll work by wireless? If so that might be the one I go for, I have a spare PS3 controller I'm not using for anything so I'd dedicate that to it.

Doesn't look like I can get the Defender, I'm based in the UK and would rather pick something off amazon than internationally.

Thanks for your suggestions!

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the brook adapter work by plugging into console, plugging controller in via USB, then it'll work by wireless? If so that might be the one I go for, I have a spare PS3 controller I'm not using for anything so I'd dedicate that to it.

Doesn't look like I can get the Defender, I'm based in the UK and would rather pick something off amazon than internationally.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Yes, you would power on your PlayStation with the super converter already plugged in. Then hook up your PS3 controller to the super converter via USB and power the controller on. Give it a few seconds then you can unplug it and use it wirelessly. You won't need to use the USB cable again unless you pair the PS3 controller with something else and need to pair it back to the super converter again.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Make a Blueretro adapter for 5 dollars.
Buy a SixAxis or something with Bluetooth.

Done.

Also, making a Blueretro adapter for PS2 or PSX is dead easy.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, just as @eyeliner mentioned, BlueRetro is teh way to go and is very cheap to do.

After you've done it, you can use any Bluetooth enabled gamepad on your console(s), you can also mod your gamepad(s) to enable Bluetooth connection on them.

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
RetroScaler Blue Retro adapter.

The usb cable is just for physical connection to a PC to update. Not for powering the adapter as the reviewer states except in rare instances where a PS2 will not deliver enough power to the adapter then the cable can be used to boost the voltage.

blueretrp.png

Last edited by torrent_get,

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would agree that BlueRetro is the best modern solution but finding one for PS1/PS2 already built and ready to use that isn't considered an unofficial knockoff and doesn't credit or contribute back to it's creator is almost impossible...

Edit: apparently RetroScaler products DO support the creator and contribute back to the project. My apologies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The switch was about 350 in 2017