Hacking Good news for hackers

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
that'll be there too i think.

Unless you're talking about not updating and waiting for a hack...
Which kind of fits this section now that i think about it.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Nollog said:
I always face-palm when I read people saying "the switch may not turn off updates" or "forced automatic updates" or "streetpass updates".
Also, this new phrase: "automatic updates is the major anti piracy thing" which isn't based on reality or facts at all.
My point: We know nothing.

Exactly.

You people cannot assume firmware updates will be forced. Especially: forced via StreetPass/SpotPass. This sounds ridiculous to me. I don't own a Wii; does Nintendo force updates there ?

Anyway, you can always turn off the WiFi completely (as required when taking a plane). Still, you would not be protected against firmware updates included in (and required by) retail games themselves.

Also, you cannot assume that only the first version of the firmware will be hackable. You know, anti-piracy fixes are always reactive, not proactive; if I were a hacker and discovered some backdoor in 3DS, I would wait silently until Nintendo rolls out the eShop+web browser update and only then release my hack into the wild. What is more, introduction of a web browser brings a number of new attack vectors: web pages specially crafted to cause buffer overflows, specially crafted media files etc. Maybe 3DS will be hacked this way ?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
pachura said:
You people cannot assume firmware updates will be forced. Especially: forced via StreetPass/SpotPass. This sounds ridiculous to me. I don't own a Wii; does Nintendo force updates there ?
They force them in the ways I said.
Game discs, shop lockout etc.
It doesn't go ahead and download them without your knowledge though, let alone install.

QUOTE(pachura @ Feb 13 2011, 10:30 AM) What is more, introduction of a web browser brings a number of new attack vectors: web pages specially crafted to cause buffer overflows, specially crafted media files etc. Maybe 3DS will be hacked this way ?
Heh, that would be shiny.
Maybe I should register FreeYour3DS.org or something, just in case.
tongue.gif

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually yeah, I can see something like jailbreakme.com for the 3DS. And since Ninty has never seen anything like that done on their systems they'd probably have no idea how to defend against it. At first, anyway

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
xakota said:
because no one cares about DSi Mode hacking.

Actually that is not true. The reason was there wasn't any real need to get the DSi mode hacked when no games supported it. Homebrew wise the DSi mode is something that could open doors for all kinds of interesting brew :3

-Qtis

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Qtis said:
Actually that is not true. The reason was there wasn't any real need to get the DSi mode hacked when no games supported it.
Exactly. Game piracy is the main force driving hacking.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
pachura said:
Qtis said:
Actually that is not true. The reason was there wasn't any real need to get the DSi mode hacked when no games supported it.

Bullshit! All initial hacks for every system are usually done by "homebrew hackers" like Team Twiizers.

The iEvo is perfect example of how lost the piracy "community" is without homebrewers doing a initial hack. That card shouldn't be sold anywhere out of respect for the savegame exploits from wintermute!

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
bailli said:
pachura said:
Qtis said:

Bullshit! All initial hacks for every system are usually done by "homebrew hackers" like Team Twiizers.

The iEvo is perfect example of how lost the piracy "community" is without homebrewers doing a initial hack. That card shouldn't be sold anywhere out of respect for the savegame exploits from wintermute!

Actually I meant to write before that there wasn't anything interesting exclusively for the DSi. The hardware is something that wasn't that amazing compared to the DS (because everything could be run on a DS too).. The cameras and such are nice gimmicks but not something to be of any real use for homebrew. Your reasoning is right since most hacks are made for homebrew purposes which usually leads to piracy (for example this is probably one of the reasons why Sony removed OtherOS from the PS3). As for the iEvo, wouldn't you like to use the DSi mode on your DSi? If DSiWare hacks aren't available (like the Sudoku game), there needs to be another way to make homebrew run in DSi mode. If the iEvo compatibility layer works as said, it would revolutionize/move forward the homebrew community, not the "piracy "community"" you mentioned.

As for the DS, Flashcarts have removed the carrying of tons of gamecarts when you can leave only one inside the DS when traveling etc. and of course enabled homebrew.

-Qtis

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
SNES emulation for example is something that would benefit from DSi mode very much. And I personally are always glad when new bugs/exploits/etc for running homebrew are found.
My problem with the iEvo is, that Team Cyclops makes money by taking a commercial game (no own work) and a free available save game exploit for that game (again no own work) and sell it for proft...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
bailli said:
SNES emulation for example is something that would benefit from DSi mode very much. And I personally are always glad when new bugs/exploits/etc for running homebrew are found.
My problem with the iEvo is, that Team Cyclops makes money by taking a commercial game (no own work) and a free available save game exploit for that game (again no own work) and sell it for proft...

Actually TC doesn't give you the game or take use of a commercial rom in their distros.. It's up to you to obtain the game and dump it yourself. As for TC trying to make money from a card that no one has ever done before? Sure the sudoku game works, but that isn't available for anyone else except the few that got it at first. Every single way at the moment that actually can run homebrew on the DS is a flashcart. People don't make the carts for fun and to give people ways to run homebrew. It's to make a profit (even a small one). I'd like to see the first flashcart to actually get a DSi running without a partial rom loader...

-Qtis

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The DS was all about quick and dirty.
Everything was patch based.
3DS pirates need to go a better route.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Vincent Valentine said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
I hope that feature does end up being added on the launch instead of waiting.
I really don't want to see the 3DS hacked
I gotta agree with catboy on this, i don't wanna see the 3DS hacked, the PS3 was recently hacked and anything to do with online went straight to hell, i really don't wanna see that happen with this brilliant piece of hardware.

It's gonna be hacked, it's inevitable... The hardware is just too good to pass up. When it happens remains a mystery..... Don't get your hopes up for a clean system....

lifeasbirds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Nollog said:
I always face-palm when I read people saying "the switch may not turn off updates" or "forced automatic updates" or "streetpass updates".
Also, this new phrase: "automatic updates is the major anti piracy thing" which isn't based on reality or facts at all.
My point: We know nothing.

Exactly.

Anyway, you can always turn off the WiFi completely (as required when taking a plane). Still, you would not be protected against firmware updates included in (and required by) retail games themselves.

Also, you cannot assume that only the first version of the firmware will be hackable. You know, anti-piracy fixes are always reactive, not proactive; if I were a hacker and discovered some backdoor in 3DS, I would wait silently until Nintendo rolls out the eShop+web browser update and only then release my hack into the wild. What is more, introduction of a web browser brings a number of new attack vectors: web pages specially crafted to cause buffer overflows, specially crafted media files etc. Maybe 3DS will be hacked this way ?

this. all of this. It's been said before but it's very unlikely that Nintendo will literally force everyone with an internet connection to update their 3DS. Retail games are possible but hopefully some early form of a 3DS hack will be released by the time a game is packaged with an update. There are a lot of possibilites or hacking on this and hopefully everything pans out.

Quesenek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mchief298 said:
Vincent Valentine said:
I gotta agree with catboy on this, i don't wanna see the 3DS hacked, the PS3 was recently hacked and anything to do with online went straight to hell, i really don't wanna see that happen with this brilliant piece of hardware.

It's gonna be hacked, it's inevitable... The hardware is just too good to pass up. When it happens remains a mystery..... Don't get your hopes up for a clean system....
I agree something like this can and will be cracked, and we will be able to run games on it.
Just so everyone knows every system out to my knowledge is able to run pirated games.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quesenek said:
Mchief298 said:
Vincent Valentine said:

I agree something like this can and will be cracked, and we will be able to run games on it.
Just so everyone knows every system out to my knowledge is able to run pirated games.
glare.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it. +1