Gaming Good-looking upcoming 2008 games

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Now it's the 360's turn.
The idea is to list good looking games to be released on 2008. This thread is suppose to be updated on the next few days with screenshots, info and more games (with you help off course).

I know this is gonna dwarf the list a little, BUT:

QUOTE(Thug4L1f3 @ 03/01/08 23:07:28) said:
Warning: This link may cause unusual amounts of salivating: http://tinyurl.com/37lv5q

OK, on with the list of announced games:

Ninja Gaiden 2 (Tecmo)
Ninja1.jpg

Ninja2.jpg

Ninja3.jpg

The true sequel to the original XBox hit is looking so good it hurts. Tomonobu Itagaki and his team are developing this game from the ground up exclusively for the console. Expect more action than before, a new health system and a new story full with betrayal, friendship and an orgy of decapitations and demonic guts flying all over our heads.

Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
Devil-May-Cry-4.jpg

Devil_May_Cry_4-PS3,_Xbox_360_&_PCScreenshots8155Wnero01.jpg

devilmaycry3_large.jpg

Set between DMC1 and DMC2 Dante founds a new ally/foe called Nero. All we know about the story between both characters is that at some point, they fight in a no limits, no boundaries, no gravity (?) duel. All in all, this game's looks promise to be surpassed only by the joy of it's gameplay.

Grand Theft Auto 4 (Rockstar Games)
GTA4.jpg

GTA41.jpg

GTA42.jpg

Once I saw a stupid post about GTA4. The truth is that this game is probably going to be the biggest thing in 2008. All the things that made the GTA franchise (and the whole free roaming idea) will be now more polished and presented in high definition, also, just as a little bonus... they say it's going to have multiplayer support....
The XBox version is also getting exclusive add on mission packs available on Live, while I really don't like micro transactions, the truth is that when used correctly (and cheaply), it's a great way to extend the playing time a of a game.

Soul Calibur 4 (Namco)
sc7_qjgenth.jpg

soul-calibur-4.jpg

SC41.jpg

Sould Calibur 4 won't be featuring an exclusive character on each console this time around (like in SC2), BUT, we'll get high def. graphics instead. All the favorites are back, including some new comers from the SC3 PS2 exclusive. No word about online play yet, but I guess it would be a mistake not to include it.

Last Remnant (Squenix)
lastremca.jpg

last-rem.jpg

last.jpg

At first sight you can tell that this game can be a direct answer to Hironobu Sakaguchi's Lost Odyssey, massive armies clashing on a fantastic battlefield. It really may be the case for the looks of the trailer and screens. There are scarce details about this title, but given Square Enix expertise on the fantastic setting and story telling, be sure that this game is gonna be at least above average.

Burnout Paradise (Criterion / EA)
bb1.jpg

bp1.jpg

bp.jpg

While this game's demo was heavily criticized for being a Test Drive Unlimited rip off, I think you can clearly see the Burnout style of play. The graphics look great, particles flying everywhere, chaos, madness, this game will be so fun, I cannot stress it enough. With no in-game menu, only good times await for those who drive in the streets of Paradise city.

Too Human (Silicon Knights / Microsoft Games)
Too1.jpg

Too2.jpg

Too3.jpg

One of the few who remember Silicon Knights may know two of their past GC hits (MGS: Twin Snakes and Eternal Darkness), for those who don't, let me just say that that house is one helluva developer studio. Too Human is projected to be a exclusive trilogy featuring a deep take on Nietzsche's philosophy "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he doesn't become one himself," not to mention the amazing gameplay options that takes a heavily approach on what MMORPGs have offered (according to Silicon Knights, I seriously don't know what that means).

Alan Wake (Remedy)
aw1.jpg

aw2.jpg

aw3.jpg

No one can deny that Microsoft Games really has a great sense on what games to grab exclusively for its box. Alan Wake, from the creators of Max Payne is going to be a psychological thriller that will feature episodic content. According to the info on XBox.com, this will try to jump the line that separates a video game from a TV series. Well, I don't know about that, but having played Max Payne, I know Remedy really knows how to make you love a character and build a believable atmosphere while offering solid gameplay and great action.

Lost Odyssey
(Mistwalker)
lo1.jpg

lo2.jpg

lo3.jpg

Looking at the story preview: "the story of Kaim, an immortal character who has lived more than 1,000 years. He doesn't remember his past, and he doesn't know where his future lies. Throughout Kaim's journey, a handful of characters will join him on an odyssey to discover their intricate past and destiny, leading players through a dramatic story of massive scale.", one can easily forget that this game presented an incredible trailer and its being designed by the team of the man who single handedly created the Final Fantasy franchise.

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
(Microsoft Games)
kuf2.jpg

kuf1.jpg

kuf3.jpg

This is as good as Diablo players can get on a console. Random generated maps, destructible terrain, six heroes to chose from and co-op gameplay. KUF:CoD is looking to be the best ARPG on any system. Don't believe me?, just look at those incredible visuals!

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
(Ubisoft)
SC3.jpg

SC1.jpg

SC2.jpg

While still under heavy wraps, Conviction is bound only for the 360. This fifth episode features a new "on the fly" gameplay, givin players the chance to beat up bad (or good!) guys with whatever is around Sam. Frankly, don't ask me why the story has changed so much or why there is even an option for buying stuff from a "flea market" or the gameplay is based on running and escaping not to get busted, but for whatever reason, it seems that this game is going to finally take Splinter Cell again to offer great never seen visuals and effects like it did when the first game was released on the original XBox.

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
(EA)
mercs21.jpg

mercs22.jpg

mercs23.jpg

Those (4 people) who played the first one know that Pandemic and LucasArts did one hell of a job. Mercs2 is actually looking better than most action games now a days. If you never played Mercs, imagine an open ended jungle setting with loads of roads, rivers, barracks and Airports to blow up. On the huge maps, you can complete missions for each faction to earn money and get bigger and badder weapons and vehicles all to overthrown an evil Venezuelan dictator.

Mafia 2
(2KGames)
m22.jpg

m21.jpg

m23.jpg

Before the Godfather: The Videogame there was Mafia. Released in 2002, the game let you play like a Mobster in a fictional city called Lost Heaven. With a GTA style of gameplay and a huge well presented landscape the game was a mediocre one, but it definitely had a lot of potential and good ideas put to practice. Six years and 2'039.459 polygons later, Mafia 2 was announced. While fictional, the story is likely to have the same compelling atmosphere as the original title, only this time and on this generation, as a full Mafioso next gen game with amazing visuals. Let's see if this turn out to do what the Godfather was suppose to accomplish.

Battlefield: Bad Company
(EA)
B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

Battlefield 1942 was a revolution for online shooters, creating a whole new genre that spawned multiple games (like Warhawk). Bad Company is suppose to offer a fully fledged single player campaign on top of the familiar multiplayer action. While not sure of there will be a co-op play, I'm sure this game will really shine when killing hordes of digital people.
Its engine is suppose to be enhanced with new destructibility features, in fact, the main difference from the last Console version (Modern Warfare) is that this one according to DICE and EA is a true Battlefield evolution, they seem to be working really hard on this version graphic, sound and gameplay wise.
This Bad Company is looking pretty good in fact.

Halo Wars
(Ensemble Studios)
hw3.jpg

hw2.jpg

hw1.jpg

Microsoft is preparing the first spin off of its Halo franchise. As a prequel to the first game this actually will give XBox owners the chance to control a handful of Spartans to overcome the Covenant armies. Personally I haven't play any RTS on the 360, but C&C3 and Lord of the Rings 2 weren't too shabby according to reviews.
Since this is Halo and Halo rules in multiplayer, my only guess is that this is going to be a great title to play against and along friends or at least it should be.
My only worry is that Ensemble being a great company has great ideas and everything, BUT most of Age of Empires gameplay is a little slower than other games of its genre, let's hope they balance things out.

Star Wars: Force Unleashed
(LucasArts)
sW1.jpg

Star Wars: Force Unleashed is not only a videogame, but a whole multimedia project (novel+videogame+RPG) based on the story of Darth Vader's secret evil apprentice.
Developed with a combination of the Havok Engine, the Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) developed by Pixelux Entertainment for dynamically destructible objects and a impressive graphics engine by LucasArts this idea seems the biggest Star Wars project since the canonical movies.
One thing I think this game has against is its "April release", I hope they don't "Enter The Matrix" this game by releasing it unfinished and not tested, since it's a combination of sucha great technologies, this game deserves a good beta time to be fully polished. I hope they all have that one in mind.
Just to prove my point, there aren't any in game screenshots available on GameSpot at the moment.

Tom Clancy's EndWar
(UbiSoft)
EndWar1.jpg

EndWar2.jpg

EndWar3.jpg

EndWar is not an RTS per se, but a project so ambitious that it's almost scary.
With the story that narrates about World War 3, this game let's you control armies of west (US) and east (Russia) to control Europe. Unlike Halo Wars or Command & Conquer, this game puts the player at the same level as the troops (actually controlling one very much like Batallion Wars).
The true ambitious thing I refer is the multiplayer feature that it is said to actually make happen a true online global war where each battle will actually happen on the global battlefield and finally decide which side comes out victorious.
With the atmosphere a little in the future, expect great action AND incredible graphics courtesy of the mind of Tom Clancy.

Games not so sure for a 2008 release:
- Fallout 3 (Bethesda)
- Resident Evil 5 (Capcom)

Please feel free to add some new titles, suggestions and comments.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
looks like some good games to 'get' well this system is better to have than a ps3. doesn't sony own rockstar now, but they're already too far in development to not release gta4 or something? sheesh if i go to school i probably can't even touch or look at gta4. vice city was too addictive.

what's this one game above, looks like bullet witch with updated graphics and a guy instead of a girl, probably a boring ass game hahah.

ninja gaiden probably is going to be too over the top to attract a large following but still good to add to the library, attracts more appeal to the system in general.

another battlefield game hmmm hopefully it plays more like pc battlefield 2 and less like console battlefield 2 on xbox 1. the console version was horrible.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait for GTA IV, that's my main reason for buying a 360.

Mafia looks good too. I hear the first one was a good GTA clone, but I never got around to playing it.

And about Splinter Cell.... wtf? hobo battle? bum fights?

Others not on the list:
Halo Wars is set for sometime in 2008. I'm not a fan of the Halo series, but this RTS might turn out to be pretty good.
Fallout 3 is set for Q4, it'll likely get pushed back though.
And the one I'm really looking forward too, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, is slated for April.

There's also Resident Evil 4, but that's not until 2009.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Others not on the list:
Halo Wars is set for sometime in 2008. I'm not a fan of the Halo series, but this RTS might turn out to be pretty good.
Fallout 3 is set for Q4, it'll likely get pushed back though.
And the one I'm really looking forward too, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, is slated for April.
Thanks, added Halo Wars, EndWar and Force Unleashed.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, here's my take on the new games for 2008 that I'm looking to spend monies on:

Ninja Gaiden 2: Looks excellent according to the trailers. Has anyone seen them yet? Every sword swing sends a body part flying and blood is everywhere in this game. After killing someone, he flicks his weapon to remove the excess blood. Badass. Seriously tho, the game looks beautiful and looks to be much more challenging then the first one on the original Xbox. If anyone has played that one they know that the game kicks your ass hard if you don't practice.

Devil May Cry 4: I've not played a single game in the series but I've heard enough about it to want to go out and buy this one. I've gots to get me a PS2 and do some catching up it seems.

Grand Theft Auto 4: What could this game possibly do that the others haven't? Remember we weren't even aloud to swim until San Andreas? WTF was that? Anywho, I'm going to wait for a review before I buy this one. Although review sites are bound to give it high scores regardless of how the game is.

Burnout Paradise: The demo for this game shows how much potential the sandbox genre has. Great take on the racing genre to begin with but throw in the "go anywhere, do anything" motif really seals the deal for me.

Too Human: Getting more and more "meh" with this game the longer it takes to be released. This game is attempting to beat Duke Nukem Forever's development cycle having began it's life as a Nintendo 64 game. Saw a couple of gameplay vids a couple of days ago and I wasn't very impressed with how the fighting mechanics are shaping up. Might pick it up for the interesting story.

Alan Wake: Looks excellent as well and the episodic content ala Half Life 2 means this one could have some longetivity.

Mercenaries 2: Make stuff blow up. That is all.

Star Wars - Force Unleashed: My GF wants this one. I have no say in the matter and she's looking at me right now. Help me...

~Fitzy~

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Mafia looks good too. I hear the first one was a good GTA clone, but I never got around to playing it.
Never say that again. Mafia is one of the best games I've ever played. However, the Xbox version did suck, play the PC one. Mafia was unique and had an amazing story line, the game also felt solid.

thomaspajamas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nice list, thanks.

I'm pretty excited for Fallout 3 myself. Even though its different than the original games, i'm interested to see how it turns out. Frontlines: Fuel of War looks like it might be fun as well from the demo they had on live.

resres

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm definitely going to get GTA IV. Halo Wars seems kinda iffy for me. At first, I was actually interested, but after seeing some gameplay videos, the excitement level dropped (same goes with that EA game, Army of Two). Too Human looks pretty awesome and the story looks... ehhhhhh. But hell, I'll take any next-gen Diablo-look-alike. =d

Some games I don't see on the list is Fable 2 and a couple of Xbox Live Arcade games, which will really rock this year. You got Street Fighter II HD Remix Whatever, Rez HD, Ikaruga, Castle Crashers, and more. Duke Nukem Forever? Maybe, but I already see it being a PC release (surprise?). Saints Row 2? Haven't played the first one, but I guess some people like the series enough for a sequel. Vegas 2, yeah, don't forget about that as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1